Exceed rc quality

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Slightly off topic

Umm.. sorry to get off topic here but Roll Tide!! I'm from Birmingham as well Bamafan!!

Back on topic* I have always wondered about Exceed RC as well so good information to know, what about off brand engines like the VX or SH?

Well, i took the advice, i got it out yesterday and broke in the engine, and believe it or not.....it ran a striped ass ape.....wheelie machine, i put it through hell yesterday and this morning, i think i got my 50 bux out of it it and hey......its still together......i have a guy coming to look at it this evening to buy it........pretty good car, although i did go thru and seal the engine, and put loc tite on everything so I'm sure that helped keep parts on it.

Which nitro is it from exceed? Like I stated earlier in the post mine ran ok but I couldn't get the repair parts anywhere and I got tired of waiting on them.

I've ran my Forza for about a 1/2 gal of fuel and thought I'd share the problems I've had. First problem was clipping the engine on an overhang and tweaking the frame. (my fault but shouldn't have tweaked it.) 2 #4 washers leveled it out again. Bent a front shock a bit but was able to bend it back. Lost my pull start screws and had to get new ones shipped out. Last I rolled and crushed the on/off switch. After rebuilding and soldering it I'm still running strong! So far, everything that's failed has been from me learning and being REALLY hard on this car.... Still happy with my investment but still can't wait to upgrade. Just thought I'd share my experience. Some one who knew what they were doing probably could have avoided all of my issues. In closing I suppose I support the company for any beginners willing to learn and wait for parts.

I have always wondered about Exceed RC as well so good information to know, what about off brand engines like the VX or SH?
Actually SH makes decent engines for the price. I will take one over an Axial any day. They are not bad at all. Now the other VX (Vertex) or what ever are not so great. But can't knock SH for the price, they are better than a lot of engines that cost more.

My step-son got an Exceed Rally Monster for Christmas last year. I talked him out of Nitro at the time, but couldn't get him to ask advice from our LHS. So, he talked his grandmother into ordering it for him on-line. The motor broke a brush after about 2 months of mild use. Last week (he turned 15 btw), he found out his friend had an Exceed Mad Fire that he's barely used and would sell him for $100. He of course didn't tell me any details, like what brand, because I would have been skeptical. I can't give a good answer to Farm Boy's question, yet. The build quality does seem better then the Rally Monster POS, but I have already looked for parts and found little available. My advice to him was to get some use out of it and sell it for what he paid for it while looking for a good Traxxas (just bought my 11 y/o son a 2wd Slash). I'll keep you posted on the Exceed.

Thanks RC Dad. Please do! I don't "think" I'd buy from them again but for some reason I really love reading the feedback. I haven't read anything too bad still for the price, just not top end stuff. But hey, WE KNEW THAT!

Update: so it's been about a week since my step-son bought the Mad Fire, and it hasn't been smooth sailing. Keeping the engine tuned has been fun; have to run it pretty rich (temps around 130 F) or it stalls for some reason and won't restart until it cools. Have to keep the idle pretty high or it stalls after hard deceleration. Have found two missing screws and the friction surface of the brake pads is broken on both front pads (and the LHS doesn't carry them). Stil thinking he did OK for $100, but losing my optomism. The Rally Monster now has a Traxxas brushed motor, so it's back running (for now). 'You get what you pay for' certainly applies to Exceed products, but the Mad Fire retails for around $600 at that price I'd call it a rip-off...

the Mad Fire retails for around $600 at that price I'd call it a rip-off...

On nitrorcx they sell the Mad Fire ranging from $189 for the base model and up to $299 for the upper end. Not sure where you found it for $600 but thats a lot of cash! :whhooo:

---------- Post added at 9:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 9:52 AM ----------

Also since he bought the Mad Fire used I'm wondering if it was broken in properly? I'd try sealing the motor if you haven't and go from there.

My son requested a .28 MadWarrior truggy for Xmas, Santa delivered. I spoke to my LSH and he recommended that it is a good starter car for my son (12yo) but, he could not support it, he likes Traxxis, but those rigs were starting at $550 vs the $300 I spent. I brought it into his shop and he was surprised at the rig's quality.

To this point I have not had any support issues, but then I really have not broken much, we are in break-in mode presently,I did crash and needed to repalce a couple parts) they came came quickly.

If we do get serious about this I will go to the LHS to purchase the next rig if no other reason to support local business and return the value Dave has already provided. I do buy my Fuel, GloPlugs and anything else I can get my hands on and need from him now.

I am happy with the Exceed product but I am new and expectations are low.

Traxxas makes many rigs you could snag up for under 300. As well does hpi, Losi, etc... I had a forza as my first rig about 5 years ago, worked fine as a starter rig, broke a few parts but that helped to get me familiar with these mechanical marvels.

Exceed RC quality? Watch [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrDKsrsI1nc"]this[/ame] (the comedy starts at 4:22).

Bahahahahaha!

What a great vid! Very true too! Pretty good until you get a good look at the brittle plastic! Thats really to bad! So close yet
SO far!

These Exceeds aren't THAT bad as most of these flamers make them out to be. No offense, I own an Exceed, Redcat and a Traxxas, by far the worst thing about them(exceed+Redcat) is.....Waiting for parts. XD No joking, they're not so fragile if you drop em they''re gonna break. Most of these people giving you feedback are name brand fanboys. I own a Jato 3.3, it's okay. It's not as durable as Many of these guys led me to believe. Do me favor man, but what YOU want,Not what "flaming fanboys" tell you. You're strapped for cash go for an exceed or even a Redcat which is by far much better quality then Exceed. But if you got the cash, then get a name brand just so You won't be waiting forever for parts like I had to do when I bought a new spur gear for my S30 from rufaster. Name brand= LHS carries parts. Do what you want to do man.

I have a mad beast I've been bashing and no complaints nothing broke yet. been pretty hard on it.runs good and fast as heck

I have a mad beast I've been bashing and no complaints nothing broke yet. been pretty hard on it.runs good and fast as heck

Right there says it all, These are great starter RC's! I just came from running mine, I ran it hard as heck too!

So if exceeds and redcats are good kits then why are there epic posts like this about them every time someone asks about them? Why is it no one argues about the name brand stuff? That little fact alone right there speaks volumes to me but dont let that discourage anyone. Buy an exceed or a redcat. Have fun with it while you can. If you have good luck with it you'll fall on that side of the fence. If you dont you'll fall on the other side of the fence and chalk it up to learning experience. Thats what this hobby is all about anyway regardless of the brand you buy....learning expensive lessons and having fun....you'll figure out in time that the name brands are nice and the others, well in time we'll see which side of the fence you land on. In the mean time drive the hell out of it and have fun :) Just my .02

If you haven't run anything better, then what you have will impress the heck out of you. Once you step up to a higher performance unit, you will then see what a big difference it is. It's the same with anything, a $20 air hog heli will impress the heck out of someone who has never flown anything where a experienced pilot would be board to death with one.

If you haven't run anything better, then what you have will impress the heck out of you. Once you step up to a higher performance unit, you will then see what a big difference it is. It's the same with anything, a $20 air hog heli will impress the heck out of someone who has never flown anything where a experienced pilot would be board to death with one.

VERY much correct.

Back