Low cost RC set

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roog

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Crawling
  2. Scale Builder
The machining work on my current project is progressing well and I am starting to think about a suitable Radio Control set. I only need one channel ! and it operates the throttle on my model car. I am thinking of buying a steering wheel style transmitter with trigger throttle, this configuration seems to make sense. The model will never be more than 20metres away from the TX so I was wondering if the low cost ‘no name‘ RC sets from Amazon would be ok? Typically costing £40 in the UK. It isn’t going to have prolonged use.

What is the consensus on these lower cost units? Are they ok? Or should I buy a known brand, something like Futaba? I used to own the 27MHz stuff in the 70’s and it was well made But feels a bit OTT for my application “remote controlled throttle“ !

Thanks for the suggestion, it seems to get good reviews.
I know it might be obvious to current RC users but I like the servo reverse switch and no telescopic antenna to get damaged!
I am no so keen on the trim being hidden under a flap, I used to set the trim to mid point use to set idle then pull the trim down to kill the engine.

I presume servos are universal these days? don’t have to select a particular type?

Thanks for the suggestion, it seems to get good reviews.
I know it might be obvious to current RC users but I like the servo reverse switch and no telescopic antenna to get damaged!
I am no so keen on the trim being hidden under a flap, I used to set the trim to mid point use to set idle then pull the trim down to kill the engine.

I presume servos are universal these days? don’t have to select a particular type?

Yes, "3-wire" servos are pretty much all plug and play and interchangeable.

Since you don't need a mechanical brake, if I'm understanding you right, you could just use the brake portion of the throttle control to accomplish the same thing as killing the engine with trim.

servos are not universal. there are different sizes with different sweeps also the spline may be different. but the 3 wire is the only universal item.

The flysky gt2b is a great little combo. Two channels not one though.

Ha ha yes I have some redundancy! I am old enough to remember single channel one button radio control offering ‘bang-bang’ control, usually over steering. 2 channels is sheer luxury 😁

I have ordered the fly sky fs-gt2e I think, will probably do the job! Thanks for the advice.
Choosing which servo was trickier, I think they used to come as a set ‘take it or leave it’, well almost!

Last edited:
Well my flysky bits have all turned up and good news is it works straight out of the box.

one thing that I was not expecting is the throttle control centers the servo when released. When I used to have 27MHz Futaba gear in the late 70’s I would set the throttle up so that the TX stick would not centre and the friction would hold the position, that way I could use the full stick movement for idle to full throttle and use the trims to kill the engine.

can I make my new TX throttle control work like this? that is full throw = idle to full power? As it is it will sit at mid throttle position.

Last edited:
Well my flysky bits have all turned up and good news is it works straight out of the box.

one thing that I was not expecting is the throttle control centers the servo when released. When I used to have 27MHz Futaba gear in the late 70’s I would set the throttle up so that the TX stick would not centre and the friction would hold the position, that way I could use the full stick movement for idle to full throttle and use the trims to kill the engine.

can I make my new TX throttle control work like this? that is full throw = idle to full power?

You might be able to dismantle it and remove the self-centering springs. Then you could set the throttle trim up, adjust the linkage/servo horn so that it corresponds with the amount of travel you want the input to control, and when you bring the trim back down, it'll also let the endpoint out a little more.

What I'm saying is, the trim settings on those do have the effect of moving the endpoints, so I think what you're envisioning is possible.

@tudordewolf thanks for your suggestion, I may have to be brave and open the TX up, back in the day it was part of setup.

I got the screws out and was about to peel the label off to part the two halves then I chickened out!
screws back in, I found that a rubber band holds the trigger forwards with about 20% left at the front for engine cut.

I’ll give this a go first, then maybe I’ll mod it after

Back