Engine not Starting

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brennan

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Evening All,

just after some advice - my engine won't start.

I had a fairly major crash a couple of weeks ago - delays in repairs was just due to waiting for parts - certainly no lack of enthusiasm!
(see here: https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102708 for crash pics and details)

Glow plug still lights up (i know this can be deceiving but advice i have read is that a broken plug will start an engine but not keep it going).

There's nothing blocking the movement of any parts. there's one allen nut that looks a touch close to the flywheel, but on closer inspection they don't touch. they may have rubbed a bit from the impact of the crash but certainly don't touch now.

Fuel seems fine. it took a bit of work to get a flow from the tank to the engine and it didn't seem to want to flow at first... I had to unhook the hose and let the outside air pressure push it through, then reconnect just before it started leaking out.

One suggestion from the manual that came with the car was to put a couple of drops of fuel into the top of the piston head under the glow plug, then start. both times the car has started, one time rather strongly too, but then both times has cut out just as quickly and no amount of effort will get it going.

My thoughts are that it's possibly the fuel system causing the issue, but there are no line blockages, tank wasn't damaged in the crash, exhaust has a small dent in the side, but not large enough to warrant replacement, and the hoses are all undamaged, as are the links to the tank, exhaust and engine.

I can put up some more shots of inside if it will help, but any suggestions for what to try next?

Thanks

James

First of all what kind of temps are you trying to run in? Did you preheat? Did you make sure that everything is still tight? Carb, header, exhaust ect. Has the engine been sealed before? What about any possible leaks in the fuel or pressure lines?

I know that with my stampede I have to prime it to get it to start sometimes. My tank does not have a primer bulb so I disconnect the pressure line from the exhaust/header and blow into it. Make sure to be in a quiet area when doing this because you will be able to hear the fuel spraying into the carb. Let it spray for a couple seconds and try to start it. If it's not enough try a little longer and if its too much and you flood the engine just loosen the glowplug a little bit and try to start the engine for a second to clear it out and try again.

Just out of curiosity is you engine sealed? I did a major roll I'm my savage did not break anything but after the roll i could not get it to start and when it did it would barley run.. Pulled the engine apart and sealed it and ran perfect after that... Thinking the crash may have jared the carb loose or something... May want to give it a try

So my sealed I assume just all parts connected properly? Looks that way but I might pull it apart tonight and put back together to be sure.

Weather was only 25C (77F) so not that hot and we were in the shade. Engine hadn't been run for a couple of weeks.

Google sealing a rc engine. It requires sealing of the back plate and carb components. Easy to do. Just be carefull pulling the carb out. The bottom o ring gets caught and tears.

Will do. Thanks. Any quick ways to tell if it is/isn't sealed? (other than the obvious working/not working!!)

I would just seal it. Eliminates that as a issue

Managed to get it started. Turned out mixture was too lean, screw was all the way in. Must have adjusted it without noticing at some point.

Anyways now that I'm starting ok and idling ok, went for a slow drive, and anytime I open up the throttle more than about 50% it chokes and stalls. Any thoughts?

Have you taken the engine off and inspected the case real good. A friend just rolled his and it didn't look like a hard hit but it cracked the case on the bottom. Pressure test it to make sure. Even though you didn't roll yours I would still check.

Last edited: