Engine carnage (pic)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TT120

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Lost an engine last Sunday. The stock .27 in my Power Racing XR80. I was flying down the back straight and the engine just quit. No pop, crunch, or sound of any kind. Had about 1 gallon on it. This pic shows what your piston is NOT supposed to look like.

27piston1.jpg

man that is worse than what happend with my crankshaft... what %fuel where you running? was it too lean?

all in all "Sheesh!"
blink18sn.gif

I am really suprised that the destruction was all contained inside the crankcase. that is horrible... You got any warranty?

WHOA... yeah, you miiggghhhtt need a new piston :D

Whoaa.. That sucks.. You dont even get the bad piston for a keychain.. double sucky...lol.. Seriously thats crazy. I havnt seen one just explode like that yet. Weird.

ouch! well christmas is around the corner

I run %20 O'Donnels. I got the car used so I'm not sure how the original owner broke it in. He sold the car back to the LHS right after he bought it because "it just wasn't for me" and I picked it up from the LHS. It was making good smoke and power and the temps were ok so I dont think it was too lean. Not sure what happened but it sure did make a mess of the engine. I can pick up a new OEM .27 off E-Bay for $129 so I might do that. I'm trying to maintain an 1/8th scale car on a 1/10th scale budget.

I must say the piston did shatter in a cool lookig way lmao. That really sucks, good idea for a xmas present.

4u2nv said:
Whoaa.. That sucks.. You dont even get the bad piston for a keychain.. double sucky...lol.. Seriously thats crazy. I havnt seen one just explode like that yet. Weird.

funny how i do that to all my old engines, use the parts for key chains, it looks pretty cool too :cheers:

I got a trx2.5 in a trade that looked like that... according to the original owner, it ran fine... yeah right. If by fine, he meant not at all...

Sometimes these things happen. O-Well. I get the feeling that this engine was not broken in properly. I never could get it to idle right anyway but it ran great while it lasted!

Does anybody know if there is any differece in the block or the mounting holes between a .21 and a .27? I thought they were both standard big block size but looking around the web, I noticed that there might be a difference.

Back