Custom Savage X to XL build, Raptor edition

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobaloohoo

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Just went out today and busted out some money on some new parts, just in progress at the moment, will be finishing the rest of it tomorrow!

Attachments

• unnamed (9).jpg
    unnamed (9).jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 200
  • unnamed (8).jpg
    unnamed (8).jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 208
  • unnamed (7).jpg
    unnamed (7).jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 206
  • unnamed (1).jpg
    unnamed (1).jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 185
Nice! Which body is that? Obviously it's a Ford Raptor, but by who? I've never been able to find one for an XL.

by proline. pretty much most bodies that will fit the 3.3 jato will fit the xl. i bought this one because its not too long or too wide, they arent too expensive either

finished painting the body, nothing spectacular, but i like to "keep it simple stupid"

Attachments

• unnamed (11).jpg
    unnamed (11).jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 187
  • unnamed (12).jpg
    unnamed (12).jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 161
  • unnamed (10).jpg
    unnamed (10).jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 197
Nice, I see you went with the masher instead of the trencher, stance looks about perfect with the desperados

yeah I'm loving the look, but i went out and was running it for the first time since the conversion, my engine got up to 320 D: i shut it off instantly, i was even running it more rich than i usually do.. i dont understand why it got so hot, it wasn't lean at all

You dont have your windshield cut out for airflow dude, was it with the body on?

i cut the windshield after i took this pic right before i ran, its got plenty of room for airflow, i had my fuel lines ran through the truck goofy, could that have any effect on it?

---------- Post added at 7:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 7:07 PM ----------

maybe the fuel lines restricted fuel flow to the carb, cause it ran upwards towards the carb, but i switched it back to where its running level with the carb now, hopefully it will help

Did u have a good smoke trail the whole time?..a halve pinced fuel line will cause a lean out

had a good amount, enough to see the smoke lingering in the grass when the truck was further out in the field. will a pipe with a smaller outlet cause this problem?

Looks great, but beware all it takes is one run overheated for major carnage. Busted a .28 & .21 con rod after only a half tank running too lean... Best of luck to ya

it wasn't running lean at all, thats all that puzzles me, there was so much blue cause i kept trying to bring the temps down. maybe the size of the expansion chamber outlet is too small?

Check the settings and batteries on your temp gauge

I'm really thinking it was the fuel lines being run weird, because the line that was run to the carb was running at a 90 degree angle upwards. it would bog down like it wasn't getting the RPM's up fast enough after i would take stop and take off. so it was running rich but maybe the fuel wasn't being fed after it would idle, causing it to get hot and have to take time to suck the fuel back into the carb at a sufficient rate.

it wasn't running lean at all, thats all that puzzles me, there was so much blue cause i kept trying to bring the temps down. maybe the size of the expansion chamber outlet is too small?

I said the same thing, had a nice trail of blue on both occasions, was baffled on why they busted. I run 30% and am start to wonder about it...

welp i stripped the whole engine down last night and re-sealed everything just to be safe and made sure nothing was hurt. everything is in the clear. i fixed how the fuel lines were ran. so if it overheats now, i know for a fact that its the exhaust pipe outlet

this damn 4.6 is upsetting me, no matter how i tune the hsn, and lsn it wont tune right, no air leaks, I've sealed it all and double checked it all! i reset to factory and gonna go out and re-tune this weekend and see how it does. i think my motor may be shot, glow plugs are good, no cracks in chassis.

about 3 weeks old. i run 20% sidewinder with cold plugs. I'm wondering if i need 25%

---------- Post added at 2:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 2:27 PM ----------

I've only run a gallon and a half through it also.

Ok, then try pulling the fuel line off of the exhaust to fuel tank while it's running see if there's any improvement. Don't drive it around I'm just trying to see if you've got an airleak at the carb.

I had a similar problem it turned out to be a loose fitting on my carb. The part that the HSN threads into had shook loose. It cause my engine to pull air in and not so much fuel.

Back