Computer DSL Modem & Wireless Router Problem

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robmob

LET’S GO BRANDON!
Staff member
Supporter
Excellence Award
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Sometime during the night on Friday, the DSL modem decided to no longer work with my wireless router. Tried 2 different brand new routers and still nothing. Modem works just fine hooked directly up to the computer though. Setup has been working just fine for 2 years now.

I am using AT&T Pro DSL service if that matters. Router is a D-Link Dir-655 and the modem is a AT&T provided Speedstream. Computer is running Vista 64 bit.

I have new DSL modem/wireless router combo on the way to see if that will work. AT&T says there is nothing wrong of course.

Anybody know what could be going on?

If the new device does not work and I can't get this figured out. I am probably going to dump AT&T and go with Comcast Xfinity Cable Internet since it's my only other option.

Last edited:
Are you kidding me? I have an AT&T DSL modem, and just yesterday I hooked up a D-Link DIR 615 wireless router for my laptop.
After about 2 hours, while trying to set the security features, I got locked out. Somehow I was able to unlock it, buy it shows my signal strength as zero and tells me there's a cable disconnected.

Same kind of problem. This comp works fine through the DSL, even though it's wired through the router.

When I hook the computer up directly to the modem, the green light on the modem under internet lights up. When I hook everything back up to so the modem runs through the router, the green light never lights up.

I also tired several different cat5 cables between the modem and router and still nothing.

I hate this crap. I just want the chit to work like it's supposed to.

What's driving ME nuts is that this comp is going through the router to the DSL, and everything works. All the proper lights are on, but there's no more wireless signal to be had.

If I hook my router up, I have a wireless signal but no DSL.

Frustrating

As I type this, my printer is chugging out an 83 page manual.
My wireless light on the D-Link is blinking and it should be solid when the router is ready to receive the wi fi signal.

Have you tried resetting the D-Link back to factory?

Several times. Nothing changed other than setting it back to the default password.
Somewhere, probably in this computer, a security setting or something must have changed. The program and the router is part of this comp, and the wi fi laptop just finds it instantly.
The problem I was having last night was trying to establish networking between both computers when it all went south on me.

I'm glad all the geeks have pitched in with their advise. :D

i have had problems with a router not working properly ..was just giving internet to 1 computer ...tech guy said to unplug everything on the modem ( power and internet cable ) for about 15 minutes ....said the modem did not recognize the router or something like that and that it needed to reset itself .....pushing the reset button will not work ..it needs to be completely out of power for a certain time ......i did that and when i hooked it back up everything was working fine

Dlink routers stink imho. Login for the router 192.168.2.1 user name is admin password is password I think. Make sure all the settings are set to automatically configure. Make sure nothing is set for dynamic or it wont work. Also on the pc make sure your network connections is set to obtain automatically. Also when you hook up the router you need to reset the modem first then plug in the router.

I just did a system restore on the laptop to the day I got it.
This computer is now backing up on an external hard drive and I'll run it back a few days with Roxio.
I wasted about 4 hours last night and another 6 hours today researching and printing out procedures to correct it.
I've finally given up and I'll be starting from scratch tomorrow.

A framing hammer is to small jump right up to the big orange dead blow.

I've seen some issues after a reinstall the drivers get all messed up. It seems like I have to sit at the pc to be helpful sometimes. Good luck

Did you guys try updating the firmware on your wireless routers? I had a similar problem with my cable modem and wireless rounter a few months ago and it turned out to be a firmware issue with my router.

Tom

I haven't, but I don't think it will work since I also tried using 2 other brand new routers to no avail.

After my system restore on the laptop last night I could once again see the wireless signals. I got 6 of them but 5 of them were locked, including my own. The only one that was open was just as strong as mine, but the laptop couldn't log on, even though it got on it a few days ago.
Does anyone know how I can unlock mine?

I've also been having issues with my ATT DSL internet connection. Running a Linksys e2000 router. What helped was setting the router to channel 1 and changing the router mode to wireless G only.

I have no idea why this helped, found the suggestion from google.

I just finished a lot of the basics. I don't have my comps seeing each other yet, but I can now run the all in one printer with either computer, through a USB port in the wireless router.