Coby's Brushless Conversion!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohmygahitscoby

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey guys,

I am converting my FLM mid tanked Savage to a brushless conversion. I currently have everything on order except for the brushless system, LiPos, and rear tierod elims.

I have a few questions. What brushless system is best? I was looking at the 2200kv Flux combo or a MMM and another motor. I was thinking if I went the MMM route I would go with a Feigao 9L. Anyone care to help?

Here's some current pics:
167tgsk.png

axeasj.png

2nb8v9j.png

Will keep you all updated.

I hear NOVAK is really good and gives a LOT of POWER....lol, JMO

I was looking at the Novak HV ones too, but then idk about them.

I have been really happy with my Novak HV system in my E Maxx and the newer versions have features that my does not have like a output shaft on the motor, sintered rotor, and Lipo cut off, Castle makes great stuff too though I have there Mamba Max in my crawler, so if it were me i would go with either Novak or Castle, JMO

that truck looks sick....

as for a power system have you looked at the Tekin RX8 combo's...there supposed to be way better then MMM's

The MMM setup is really good. If you get Castle's motor it's actually a Neu motor that's repackaged for Castle.

The MMM setup is really good. If you get Castle's motor it's actually a Neu motor that's repackaged for Castle.

I agree the MMM setup is the best bang for the buck right now. Go with 6S lipos and the Savvy will fly. However, the Castle motor is NOT a rebadged Neu motor. It uses Neu design but the windings are not identical and is manufactured overseas. Neu motors are made in the USA.

Now with that Castle Neu motor, would it be less powerful than one I can get from RC-Monster? They have Feigao, Neu, and MedUsa.

Medusa is no longer is business. Their motors are awesome but I no longer recommend their motors for lack of support.

The Feigao motors are less efficient than either Neu and Castle. You'll also need to run the rc-monster heatsink with the Feigao motor to prevent the endbell from popping off.

Bang for the buck the MMM combo with motor is your best deal. If you plan on running 4S, go with the 2650KV combo. If you decide to run 6S, go with the 2200KV combo.

Didn't know that about Medusa. I guess the Feigao is off my list too.

I am actually planning on running 4S. If I run 2200kv with the 4S, am I getting less or more torque than I would with the 2650kv? I really just want torque for standing backflips and stuff like that.

From what I've been told, the less the kV the higher the torque. Thanks for the clarification on the Mamba Monster motor, SD.

I read that the 2650kv is more for buggies because of the smaller tires. With the 2200kv it should be fine for me. I just want the torque, not speed.

I think instead of the Integy rear carriers I'll be using the Atomic ones.

Go with the MMM combo. It's been battle tested and proven tough. On 4S with 19/56 gearing, my E-Revo runs 50.8 mph and the temps never get above 150/160 on the motor and speedo. In fact, Coby, I got a pair of motor mount rings for the Savage Flux that will work with your truck. All you need is the motor mount plate and you'll be good, if you get the Flux MMM combo. Let me know if you want them and we'll talk. They retail for 30 bucks, I'll take 15 plus shipping or postage.

I actually already have both of them. The problem with the MMM combo is that you have to mod the mount rings. You have to shave a full mm all around.

Put your purse down and stretch them, like I did. It's not easy, but it works.

You stretched them? Did they fit perfectly around the can? I know the dia. of the Castle Neu motor is 40mm, but I think the dia. of the mount is 36mm.

Yea, I stretched them. they fit decent around the can, but the little black chrome spacers don't really do much. But the motor IS tight in the mount, that's for sure!

Interesting. How exactly did you stretch it?

Took them in my hands and hung on for dear life till I pulled them apart.

Interesting, lol. I'll see what is going to happen.

As of right now, I am having tranny problems. I am putting in a 44T idler gear into my tranny, but the top part of the case is not fitting.

Back