Clutch Carnage

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIRDMAN

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
while out bashing around this weekend, the clutch decide to incinerate @ full throttle. I found some parts. blew up then took out the spur gear. From your opinions what clutch should I put in? Stick with stock unit again or go with?................. looking to what some of you have swapped to? also prolly going to swap out and upgrade the brakes too.

clutch1_zpse13f390d.jpg

clutch3_zps7e805f2c.jpg

clutch2_zpsc8d9d979.jpg

clutch4_zps75f26c59.jpg

It kind a looks like you lost the "C" clip that holds the bell housing on and it slid a head causing the clutch to come apart.

Savages don't have c-clips, I'd wonder if the bushing wore out, fell off, and it might have caused 4-5mm play back and forth in the CB.

Has anyone heard of the newer steel spacers wearing? I heard the older ones did, which is why HPI switched. However, that is a plausible explanation. Please keep us posted...wdhen was the last time you maintained your clutch prior to this happening? Please don't take this wrong, but sometimes guys don't look at their clutch for a gallon or so and bad things happen. I keep stealing my neighbor's Savage to maintain it for him....the first time his clutch bearings were shot. I mean they were GONE. This recent time, his shaft screw came loose. I told him to thread lock it (I did not want to be liable for it0. He didn't and it was 60% out. It would have been quasi-dangerous to run like that as that bell would have flown off.

Just go through everything piece by piece, you'll be able to tell what gave.

thnx guys!
stock 4.6 engine
just bashing around a large construction site.Large newly paved parking lot ( full out throttle )loose dirt,gravel, dirt piles, few jumps nothing crazy.
will go back to the stock set up then.
truck has only 1 gallon through it. ya possibly the bearing gave out as the race was there but NONE of the little steel balls, which is what might of gave it the play, then BOOM.
will set aside some time in the next week or so to do a tear down & repair.

cheers all.

so to me what happened was ( I think ) the race on the bearings let go and then all hell went loose! pulled it all apart and back together last night. Just put in stock clutch, and springs. went with a steel spur too. she fired up 1st try after re-assembly. Added a new glow plug, new fuel lines. she is back up and running better than new :)
got a new body too a Nitro GT2 body gonna do her up with a Rockstar theme. and of course with the RCNITROTALK.com decal too!

even the guy at my local rc shop said WOW never seen a clutch do that before. Then he said go spend some $

cheers

Back