can't unlock brakes? Help

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjoseph

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
I just changed out my spur gear on the Nitro king and after putting everything back i can't get the brakes off even if I move the lever with my hand, could this be cause from over tightening the spur gear?

If i have the truck off the ground the wheels spin fine. If I shut the truck off and keep the remote on the truck will not roll and I know it used to roll the wheels lock up.
So now when I put the truck on the ground it shuts off instead of just idling.
any ideas?

Do you have a fail safe? I'm a little rusty so excuse me.
also might need to adjust your radio trim and carb so it wont shut.

No fail safe,

I took everything apart the clutch spring is on and clutch Does not look to be broken.
Would loosening the spur gear do anything?

it sounds as tho it is in your clutch. the clutch is a centrifical force clutch. i dont know what kind of clutch set up you have, but try to pull each individual clutch shoe out (not off, but as if the centrifical force was pulling it from the post) and then let go of it. they should take some amount of force to pull out, and then they should snap right back. if they dont snap back, something is binding, also check your clutch springs. there may also be buildup on the clutch shoes, or on the clutch bell, make sure you clean the contact areas of both of these.
i hope this helps

also this issue can make the wheels not roll since the wheels will not roll, there is definitely some kind of bind in your clutch

Last edited:
thanks

i will take it apart today and look at the clutch,

Should the clutch bell spin freely when i put it back together before i put it back into the truck?

yea, the clutch should spin completely free. while the engine is removed make sure the wheels, and transmission all roll smooth and free as well. (just to do a double check on them) the clutch bell on your engine should slide right off after your screw or e-clip is removed.

Man got everything working the problem was I had the screw which held the clutch ect too tight.
But a new problem after 1min of driving i was holding the truck wheels off the ground and reving the engine and it shut stalled out but now th pull start is stuck and I can't even turn the fly wheel with my hand feels
Stuck any ideas!

I hope it's not the engine!

I really hope this is NOT the case, but if you had the wheels off the ground and revved it really high with no load, you could have thrown the rod.
Move the flywheel by hand. It will only go one way with the pull starter on. If it won't go in either direction, remove the pull starter and try again. You'll also be able to see inside and you'll know if the rod is broken.

engine might just have flooded itself. remove the glow plug and see if the engine will turn over. if it does, flip the engine upside down and pull the pull start a few times to get all the fuel out of it.

if this is not the case, remove the pullstart. the plate that is behind it (held on by 4 screws) is called the backplate, remove the backplate and you should be able to see if there is any broken parts or pieces in the engine.

you might need to do a complete engine rebuild, wich half the time its cheaper just to buy a brand new engine

Thanks for the replies,
I will take it apart sometime this week
I really hope the engine is not messed up since this truck is only a month old! I feel the user manual is very poor And does not explain anything in detail.
The pull starter is does not move at all is there a chance it's just stuck?

Here it is, do u think warranty will cover this?

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 111
i don't know if the warranty would cover that or not. i have no clue how expensive that part is. what you have to do tho, is remove the cooling head by removing the 4 screws at the top of the block. (next to the glowplug) the piston should fall right out. remove the sleeve (it just pulls right up). reach in through the backplate with some needle nose pliers and pull the end of the broken connecting rod off. be really careful in doing this so you do not scratch the engine. take the connecting rod off the piston. make sure that you thoroughly clean out the whole internal part of the engine so that any dirt/dust/broken pieces aren't in there.

be extremely carefull not to scratch any internal part of the engine. the piston and sleeve are most important to not scratch. even a small little scratch here can cause loss of compression.

good luck, and god speed :]

Thanks
Well I contacted HPI and they said if I bring it in they would give me a new one. I made the 20min drive during my lunch break and gave them the old one and they handed me a new one. I was looking at it and noticed that for how it mounts in the nitro monter king the carborator is upside down. I am guessing this same engine is used in other trucks so this is just how it comes not specific for the truck model. Can i just take off the little nut on top and flip the carborator?

Forgot to mention that I am impressed with HPI's customer service, in my past experience dealing with most companies regardless off what the product is, is usually a headache!