buggys and 3diffs. ???

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When your going round a corner you don't just just have a variation side to side, you have one front to rear as well. It just makes the whole transmission last longer. On 1/8 buggys the centre one is usally adjustable to allow you to change the handling on acceleration and braking.

o ok kno it alll makes sense

also remember that since the diffs can be tuned by different weights of oils. you can control which wheels get more power and how it is transfered by changing the oil. you can adjust the front to rear power distribution by changing the oil in the center diff. you can also adjust left to right power distribution independantly front and rear by changing the oil in either of those diffs. for example, if you put a very heavy oil in the rear, the rear tires will be locked together tighter and the rear end will tend to come around on you more when you apply throttle while cornering. it will also cause more straight line traction when you nail the gas down a straight. to get even more straight line traction down a straight. you can also add heavier oil to the center diff, so that the front tires spin less due to weight shifting rearward under accelleration and more power gets transfered to the rear of the car. these are only examples and dont reflect everything that changing the oils do, but it gives you and idea as to why 3 diffs are used.

So people do this before races. Wouldnt it take a while 2 pull the diffs. out. Let only clean the old oil out then put the new weight in ???

ToRqUe said:
So people do this before races. Wouldnt it take a while 2 pull the diffs. out. Let only clean the old oil out then put the new weight in ???

Yes it will take a while, but serious racers spend $,000s and probably have several spare diffs pre-filled with different oil weights. Installing a pre-built diff into the diff casing only takes a few minutes.

Also, their front diff is probably a torsen and will not need to be changed.

here is another reason for a center diff.. Brakes.. if you run a center slipper.. you can only run 1 brake.. it stops all 4.. on a race buggy, you can change oils.. also.. you can adjust your brake bias. front to rear.. say.. more front brake than rear brake.. or in my case.. round 70% rear break.. to 30% front brake.. if you had a slipper in the center.. or a locked diff.. you wouldnt be able to do that..

nigle,what is a torsen. it take me a long time 2 change the diffs. on my maxx, the buggys or out in the open right ???

If i'm not mistaken a torsion diff is like a limited slip diff. buggy diffs are not right in the open, but take off 8 screws 4 front 4 rear(most of the time) and the diff comes right out.

alkyula said:
i feel as though since 1/8 buggys are used mainly for compitetion, the fact it has 3 diffs allows for more custom tuning using different weight oils for the drivers style and to the tracks surface, and the ability to tune front and rear brake bais independently. (brake bais meaning more braking power for the front or rear wheels). having no center diff would make the car have more extreme off-road traction..but would also make it less stable during cornering and accelration on smoothed out tracks. the center diff would also help out softening the blow from constant on-gas landings to the drivetrain.
I agree with this. I think this should pretty much answer your questions about why there is a third diff.

I think alkyulas post explains some, but CorradoPsi's post is also worth a read. I read the first page worth of noob posts and was going to reply with an essay, but after reading the second page I realise I don't have to.

By using thicker or thinner oils in the center diff to alter the front/rear power ratio, you can really change the on-power handling characteristics of your car.

For example, if you have a crazy motor that is forcing your poor 7000 center diff to waste all the power to the balooned front wheels (the end with least traction in this case), you could move up to 10,000 to force more power into the rearend to get more useable power. Or if your rearend is too alive and "happy", you can move down to a thinner oil in the center diff, say 5000, to allow more of the power to go to the front end, and help pull the car predictably around the corners.

Last edited:
Um... I'm not sure but i doubt oil wt can go that high ??? or am i just wrong again ???

Yeah, your wrong again Torque! Oil weight goes even higher than 10,000. Were talking silicon oil, not motor oil.

Woody

Wow, it no surprise that i am wrong. I never seen yet heard of that much wt in oil. Silicon oil ??? I'm goin' 2 the LHS 2day an I'm goin 2 c if the have some an play w/ it . lol :jk:

also, it may help to use more punctuation in your posts...i had a hell of a hard time reading them

ToRqUe said:
Um... I'm not sure but i doubt oil wt can go that high ??? or am i just wrong again ???

my mistake too, those figures are not supposed to be in WT.

Shock oil is usually measured in WT, and for RC use you'd be using from 20wt to 100wt

Diff oil is measured in CPS, and is a completely different measure that you can't compare directly to WT. For RC use you'd be using from 1000 to 10,000 or so, some people run more or less but that is basically it.

Just thought i'd clear that up.

Back