belt or shaft

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dandun

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I was wondering which would be better in an on-road car shaft or belt driven. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Well, yes and no.
Belt driven cars are more prefered by racers.(not sure exacty why)
maybe less metal to move around???
Bashers or parking lot racers that are not on a prepared surface like shaft driven cars
because the pebbles can't get caught in a belt.

interesting Ratzo. I'm glad somebody brought this up. I was curious about it as well. I bet the belt system is less rotating weight as well huh? I don't have an on-road yet but I thought about getting a shaft kit just cuz of the realizm factor

This thread will get interesting.
Good subject
I don't recall it being discussed in depth on this forum in the past.
It will be interesting to see what comes about.

Lessen said:
interesting Ratzo. I'm glad somebody brought this up. I was curious about it as well. I bet the belt system is less rotating weight as well huh? I don't have an on-road yet but I thought about getting a shaft kit just cuz of the realizm factor
I'm not sure about the weight thing.
It might be because there is less that can go wrong with a belt system.
(less moving parts)
I don't know how many times I bent a main drive shaft, and was done for the day.
But I have also broken belts. But thats an easy fix cause I always have spare belts.

I helped assemble a belt drive HPI, and I'm willing to bet big bucks that there's a LOT less vibration in that system.
Just a hunch now, but it's possible that it might also provide a bit of Gyroscopic stability also.

Some say that the shaft drives will give more torque steer under heavy acceleration and the belt drives are smoother under the same circumstances.

I prefer belts since I do race on prepared surfaces. Like Ratzo said, racers like belts over shaft for a couple reasons. If u smack the wall or get in a pile up, depending on how hard u hit u can bend the shaft. An the other main reason is u can use different size pullies for the belts. By changing the pully sizes u can change the amount of tire wear to the front and rear tires. So in all u have more options with belts and no worries of bending a shaft.

thanks eddy, I was just gonna ask about torque steer. Can you adjust the tension on the belts in those things?

I believe most have a tensioner. My MTX3 does.

I'm taking a pic of it now.

Last edited:
All cars that have belts have a tensioner.

that's cool, I didn't know the belt systems were so involved... is it me Eddy or are we just goin back and forth between threads? heh, sorry bout the derail.

Here is a quick shot.
Sorry about the dirt I ran it this morning.

Attachments

• beltten.jpg
    beltten.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 144
Also braking is diffrent, shaft cars slow down diffrent because there is really not that much play in the drive train then a belt. Also under hard accleration sometimes a belt might skip! not saying it will but might. Driving styles are diffrent ,I had a belt car and when I switch to a ntc3 I had to get use to the braking and cornering of having a shaft car . A couple of team driver told this to me at the track when I ask is there really a difrence.

i think this is the best thread i've read yet and it answers so many questions for a newbie such as my self. sometimes i just dont know what to ask. thanx

Well as for the braking, most belt drive cars come with a front one way diff, that uses the rear wheels to stop the car, which will cause the back end to come lose, and spin the car out during hard breaking.
A 15 minute adjustment to the ABS on my radio, fixed that problem.
Where on my nitro TC3, it has 4 wheel braking, which makes hard breaking very controllable, and I can hit the brakes as hard as I want with hardly any fade.

So, If you aren't running on a prepared surface, shaft is best?

Yup, unless you don't mind changing or replacing belts because of debris or pebbles

Back