Basket case Savage

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today I learned that I should have shot the black paint first, this body will be plain old black.

Always paint dark to light. Unfortunately you are going to see where you cut out the letters in the lm now no matter what you do.

Ohhh excellent choice on a body and scheme, was considering a Ram lid for the MGT. can't wait to see some color!!

*edit* ....... Then i saw itll be plain black.... Aww well I'm sure itll look the same either way after a dozen or so runs :D

Last edited:
I scored a stock Savage pipe and header set off of eBay so it's finally complete! I'll start the break in later today.

savy_zps5f74c486.gif

The body ended up being something between brown and burgundy. Once I saw that I screwed up the color I rushed through the next coat of black and now it has spotches everywhere...I have no patients for painting!

savy2_zpsc2ccc287.gif

I started it up for the first time, I had to lean it a little from factory settings but it ran great so far. I'm letting it cool down right now, I'll get a few more short runs it before the day is done.

Even though u screwed up on the paint it actually looks good on the savy, flows with all the black and hpi purple accents

Taking it easy cruising around the yard.....It would hardly move until I put that cool decal on the tailgate, now it has monster power!

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent final color Pete I actually like it alot! I swear the decal adds an extra couple of CCs depending on its placement

The battery in my camera is dead so it's another phone video. It needs more tuning but it has a little power, I'm going to install the JP-2 pipe on tomorrow and see how it feels. If those maxx tires had any traction it wouldn't stay on it's wheels.

Last edited by a moderator:
what weight you runnin in those shocks? they seem really stiff, too stiff for my liking, but everyone runs different:) i softened up mine so it wouldnt flip on me, you got a lot of power to the wheels on this brute

Running 30wt in the shocks but I shorten the stroke on them but I didn't use shorter springs so they are stiff

I'd think for on-road driving like that, a heavier oil and stiffer spring would be advantageous. I'm still trying to learn about suspension (especially on a MT where the range is broader) and have found that heavier oil (45/50 with full rebound and stiff springs in the rear) makes the most out of the available traction.

I really wish they would make different pistons for big jumps, however. I know nothing about on-road driving so thought and getting my Savage handle the road at high speeds would be more challenging than it is....but I guess HPI's demented way of challenge is to forego different damping options.

I tested a soft suspension setup a few weeks ago (at a very bumpy construction site with a few jumps.-It was okay but I want to drop the roll center and can't with stock parts.

Be it on-road or off-road..I like quickly changing directions. I'd love to see like an on-road Savage class (not oval)....Formula-1 style. That would be cool as I bet some guys would make some bad-ass machines.

Last edited:
I've seen a couple oval track set-ups but no formula stlyes, however yesterday i did see a baja formula truck yesterday, it was beautiful. and they do make different pistons for jumps and such, i bought some HPI shocks from their site and came with 6 different piston types(if I'm not mistaken my LHS gave the pistons to me because they'd been sitting around for ages). ill have to get the part numbers and get back with you

Cool. Please send me the #s. I've asked around but no one is aware of any. I know I can just throw another pair of shocks on them--and eventually might--but want to continue working with the stock shocks for now.

---------- Post added at 8:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 8:00 AM ----------

I've seen a couple oval track set-ups but no formula stlyes, however yesterday i did see a baja formula truck yesterday, it was beautiful. and they do make different pistons for jumps and such, i bought some HPI shocks from their site and came with 6 different piston types(if I'm not mistaken my LHS gave the pistons to me because they'd been sitting around for ages).
I will start separate thread.

I installed the JP-2 pipe and did some tuning today and this thing is bad ass, it has plenty of low end power and the pipe really helped the mid range rpm's. After getting it warmed up I made a few adjustments and the first time I got on it hard it flipped over while shifting into second and the pipe came undone. This pipe uses springs to connect to the header and the stock header uses the rubber boot, the pipe goes in the boot and I did zip tie it but it doesn't go in for enough. I can run it around the yard but if I get rough with it the pipe will pull out....pulling out is always disappointing!

Wheelies can be hard on the body!

crack_zps9aba7f29.gif

Back