American muscle or import power?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BUDDHA said:
SUPPORT AMERICA NOT OTHER COUNTRY.

Everytime you see a Honda on the road, you should relax and know that it was built at one of the two American Honda plants right here in the United States. Toyota has some plants here too. A Toyota Camry is just as American as a Chevy Impala.

Ok, I lied, mine's an exception. My hatch was assembled and sold in Ontario and the owner ended up here in Texas when I bought it. The speedo tops at 230 km/h and every time I fill my car up with gas I see an "unleaded only" warning in French.

Last edited:
true...a lot of "imports" are more domestic than many "domestics".

for those of you who are firmly against importing. did you know that there was never a vcr made in america? bet you had/have one!

i also heard that domestic companies use foreign steel and foreign companies use domestic steel. it doesn't make much since but what does anymore?

more trivia- what car company made the ford festiva and is now a relatively large foreign company who is getting bigger by the minute?...kia
as much as i dont like the current company- id love to find another festiva in near new condition. that way i could have one in stock form to park next to my modded one if i ever get time to finish it.

KillerWabbit said:
Everytime you see a Honda on the road, you should relax and know that it was built at one of the two American Honda plants right here in the United States. Toyota has some plants here too. A Toyota Camry is just as American as a Chevy Impala.

Great that american's are being employed but revenue still goes to the Japanese companyies. Those cars are built here so that they can save on the import taxes. Still considered an import in my eyes.

Ddi you all know that your big Dodge trucks are imported? Most Civics are made in Ohio but a honda is an "import" something to think about guys.

euro "non-rice" car over anything...i would never own a car with body enchancements or bling bling wheels . aka i prefer sleepers

Arrow said:
euro "non-rice" car over anything...i would never own a car with body enchancements or bling bling wheels . aka i prefer sleepers
I hear ya arrow. Nothing better than the face of a kid in a japanese import when you scream from the light with the engine roaring and wheels screaming for traction amongst the smoke! Especially when they're the ones sporting the "Superfast wing," stickers and farting muffler.

OK I love both and I have worked on BOTH. I love em just the same. Both have something that is appealing. I drive a civic and I have dropped a faster motor and know what I need to do to make it a strong sleeper. Don't care for chrome and I don't just drop in a loud ass muffler and an intake that makes our engine hum. I like to play with the internal parts to actually make it fast. That is the actual lifestyle. to get a little 4 banger and make hella fast. Nowadays the Fast and the furious made a lot of stupid wannabees and annoying kids and adults doing it. Love my import but hate the wannabees. They are the ones that drive like their car is indestructable. No car is. Mine isn't. But it can kick some ass. If you aren't a wrench head and just do stupid bolt ons like intake, exhaust and header...spend a lot of money to get 7-12 hp. I have built a great engine and it puts down 240 hp at the wheels dynod. The only thing is I don't act like a Badass. I know what my car can do and that is fine with me.

Sorry to rant but I am sick of the idiot wannabees that try this out and make the real people that love the import cars look like complete dumbsh!ts. I will always love the Imports and will continue to do so. Doesn't mean I hate the AMerican muscle.

My Copper on the matter

Jon

Hey Jon, no harm no foul. I have always said that I will give credit where it's due, american or japanese. It's the posers that weave their way through traffic with ridiculously loud mufflers that I despise. Most of them are young and consider themselves indestructable.

All cars have the potential to be fast and powerful with proper engineering but does speed on a 1/4 mile or 0-60 designate quickness? yeah, sure does but how you acheive those #'s is where judgement starts. Personally, turbos and superchargers are fine. It's those that rely on a 100 shot of nitrous that make my skin crawl.

Speed continues beyond the 1/4 mile mark BUT IN THE SAME BREATH, it should only be put to it's limits on the track and not on public roads. I've been lucky during my younger years with too many "close calls" but am grateful for learning my leason with nothing more than a heart palpatation and cold sweats

Sleepers!
You should see the look on the rice drivers faces when I take them in my little silver 4 door.

The first thing I had the factory do is chip the engine and remove all the CLK plaques. Who would imagine that the little C320 4 door is a CLK Sport edition.

Speak softly and carry a big stick. They never see it coming.

Diver6127 said:
Hey Personally, turbos and superchargers are fine. It's those that rely on a 100 shot of nitrous that make my skin crawl.
What's wrong with nitrous? Two years ago, I had exactly what would make your skin crawl. I have a 93 Si hatch with a stock GS-R motor/tranny and back then it had a 100 shot. I moved, got out of drag racing, and sold the kit because sooner or later the motor was gonna let loose and it's my only car. The motor still runs hard today, but I'm way into autocross and don't care for straight line speed anymore.

I don't get why people are anti-nitrous. Nitrous is cheap, instant power exactly when you want it. On the 100 shot, my fastest 1/4 mile was a 12.3 @115mph with a 1.9 60' on drag radials. Would it be cooler that a turbo setup ran the same exact time? What makes my skin crawl is when people think it's "cheating" or "fake power." The wheels could care less how the power is made. A quick car is a quick car is a quick car.

Eddy, I was friends with a guy in college who had a mid 70's 450SL. He would let me drive it for working on it for him. One day I was driving it to pick up a date, wearing a preppy sweater and looking like a rich little prick. 4 guys pulled up in an old Nova hot rod, rumbling and looking bad. I looked over and they were laughing at me, so I gave them the F U face and pointed forward. They laughed again, then when the light changed I kicked their ass. I had my camaro then and would have smoked em just as easliy, but it is very satisfying to suprize them with the sleeper.

Diver6127 said:
Hey Jon, no harm no foul. I have always said that I will give credit where it's due, american or japanese. It's the posers that weave their way through traffic with ridiculously loud mufflers that I despise. Most of them are young and consider themselves indestructable.

Damn Diver...while my car is pretty stock, you'd hate me cuz i'm constantly weaving through traffic...lol

simply put.. you dont have to take a turbo or supercharger to get refilled everycoulpe runs.
i can't think of how to word this.. but its just not really part of the engine.. gah i can't word how i feel about them.. its just corny abnout having to refil it everycouple of runs for your car to be that fast instead of having a turbo or a super charger pull the same time repeatibly even off the track. it just feels fake to me

What sucks about turbos is you have to initially spend thousands of dollars for the setup though. That was the reason I got into nitrous. A few hours and $500 later my car was more than a second faster than it was the day before. If I had the money, I'd go turbo over anything, but I don't have the money to waste on my car. And nitrous is just so easy. You don't have to worry about all the mechanics like you do with a turbo. Just the accessories and electronics for a decent turbo setup cost an arm. Then you just got more parts to worry about failing.

I had nitrous for 2 years, put 150 lbs of it through my motor and for two years of hauling ass it cost me less than $1,000. Of course the downside is that in the long run you're still paying to fill up the bottle. But damn, it only cost $1,000 and there weren't a whole lot of street cars that were faster.

Hey Diver, No harm was meant by my post nor was it directed to anyone here just wanted to vent. I spend a lot of time on my car and it makes me happy all the time. You can hate imports if you like or not.

Ed I had an Integra 4 door sleeper with a great motor and it was ALL MOTOR. Loved that car till some idiot ran a light and totalled her. She ran strong for the miles on her. I got the same set up on my civic now. No Nos or turbo or supercharger. Naturally aspirated is for me.

Jon

I persanolly like the sound of the Blow off valve but it isn't worth the time and money for me to install it. b

KillerWabbit said:
What's wrong with nitrous? Two years ago, I had exactly what would make your skin crawl. I have a 93 Si hatch with a stock GS-R motor/tranny and back then it had a 100 shot. I moved, got out of drag racing, and sold the kit because sooner or later the motor was gonna let loose and it's my only car. The motor still runs hard today, but I'm way into autocross and don't care for straight line speed anymore.

I don't get why people are anti-nitrous. Nitrous is cheap, instant power exactly when you want it. On the 100 shot, my fastest 1/4 mile was a 12.3 @115mph with a 1.9 60' on drag radials. Would it be cooler that a turbo setup ran the same exact time? What makes my skin crawl is when people think it's "cheating" or "fake power." The wheels could care less how the power is made. A quick car is a quick car is a quick car.

I'm not anti-nitrous. Great for the track but that's about it. I meant for those that try to use it on the street. It's "real power" while it's there. After it's gone, you still have to rely on the baseline power. That's what I meant.

If your car ain't cuttin it from the get go, what are you gonna do when it's gone? Those are the people I'm referring to, the stupid kids on the street that like to watch movies.

As I said, I give credit where it's due and if it's due on the 1/4 mile I give it. Take it on the road course and I'll give it there as well, just leave it off the street.

I love both, personally. both can go hella fast, but people dont uderstand that imports have the "rice rocket" label because of the weenie little 16 year olds who slap on a body kit, intake, exhaust and wing and think theyre the poop. I'm 15, i live in japan, and there are some serious ass japanese made cars on the street here, but my heart is with american muscle, the poop that rattles grandmas fillings from 3 blocks away. Let me explaine, though, i own a '74 VW/porsche 914 block/dual 44 ida/nickies 103mm cyliders/tangerine racing exhaust. and i bought, restored, repainted, and assembled it on my own. my dad knows jack, so i did it solo, and i know good cars when i see em.

BOTTOM LINE: V-8 will rule

I like american muscle but I love my RX-7`s. My dad had a 66 chevelle (technicly it was a malibu) and he loved it and i would like to get him another but I will keep my 93 RX till i die. Nothing wrong with turbos or superchargers I have both. My dad cracks on my RX all the time but still every morning when I got up, my car was gone. If I had the extra money I would restore one of the Impala`s we have and keep it. NOS I still have not decided on if I like or not but I agree horsepower is horsepower no matter how its made. I own 2 RX-7`s (one turbo, one twin turbo) and a Grand Prix GTP but if I could afford if I would own a Yenko any day. :) but thats just my $.02

Last edited: