AE .15 will not run???

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GruberRacing97

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hey guys I need HELP

I went to run my RC10GT today. I started it up and it starts fine but when I go to advance the throtle it dies out. I give a pull on the starter,it fire up and I advance the throtle again and it dies out. What's the problem??? Can anyone help???!!!

Thanks
Stan

Sounds like ya got some tuning issues. Id suggest setting the LNS back to the factory specs and try retuning it. Gonna sound kinda obvious but either its getting to much gas, or not enough. You getting alot of excess fuel out the pipe? When ya let it sit and idle for a while, what kind of temps ya pulling in?

Well eventually the engine does start to hydro-lock. when I pull the plug it filled with fuel. Can the adjustments loose a tune after time? Yes i do get alot of fuel at idle. after 10 seconds of idleing it will shut off. The last time i checked the temp they were running 235 to 240.

Thanks
Stan

Tuning can change from day to day, even hour to hour. Different engines will react to variances in barometric conditions differently.

If your engine has been at the same needle settings for a while, yes the tune has changed. Especially if it was last tuned during warmer conditions. The engine is probably, slightly out of tune.

Before starting to reset all the needles back to factory settings do the pinch test. Pinch the fuel line 1-2 inches from the inlet nipple on the carb while the engine is running. Count how many seconds it takes for the engine to finally die. Your target is 3-4 secs. If the engine dies instantly, richen the LSN 1/8 of a turn untill it hits about 3 secs. If it takes lnger than 4 secs, lean it 1/8 of a turn until you reach the 3-4 sec mark.

From the way you are describing your situation, you are running too rich. I'm sure that when the engine dies, it makes a gurgling sound then dies ... Correct? Another sure sign is the hydrolock situation.

OK, once you can get the engine to take off without stalling you can start tuning the HSN. This would be a good time to get a temo gun if you don't already have one. For the AE .15, your target should be anywere from 220-240. That seems to be the best performance range for these units. Again, each engine likes to run at different temps/power band settings. Tune for performance, not just aiming for a temperature and think that it's in tune.

As you run the engine through some high speed passes, make note of the smoke trail and power. The engine will stop reacting to leaner settings at a point and smoke will disapear. This is a sure sign that the carb settings are too lean. Also, hard restarts are another sure sign of over heating.

If you do not have a temp gun, you can do the spit test to get yourself in the general ball park. Spit on the head. If it sizzles away, instantly, you're too hot. Richen the HSN. If it sits, you're too cold. If it sits for 2-3 secs then boils away .. you're good.

Also remember, after you redo the HSN, you may need to tweak the LSN a little bit. Do the pinch test once again and then judge the holeshot. If it dies right away, it's too lean. If it burbles then dies, you're too rich.

IF you ahve messed with the settings so much that you don't know what the settings are anymore, then you will need to reset the needles an retune.

As I said, atmospheric conditions will take your car off tune. The first thing you should do every time you take your car out is check the tune. At most, only minor adjustments should be made. Also check your glow plug. IF it hasn't been changed for a while, do yourself a favor and just stick a new one in before retuning. Hydrolocking can deform the coil in the plug.

Back during the warmer weather i could the pinch test,I could never get it to shut off even after like 10 to 12 seconds,I gave up and plugged the exhaust :hammer:

But when I start it now, it will only run for like 2 to 3 seconds then cut out :shrug:

I have less than 1 1/2" if fuel line, but 6 to 8 inches of pulse line :shrug:

During all of this i never touched the needle setting's.

Should I lean out the needle's more???

Temp here today was high 55, I think the temp was near 50 when all this was going on.

I do not have a temp gun of my own yet,mine should be here mid week.The temp i listed was from a friend's temp gun. I just put a new plug in it tonight and tried it to see if that helped but it didnt.

Thanks
Stan

Last edited:
That's a probem right there. Even too short of a fuel line will cause tuning issues. Replace the fuel line with about 4-6 inches. Keep the pressure line at about 8 inches. Tuning will be different and will have to be redone anyway.

Colder weather will require some carb adjustments, but it sounds more to me like your glow plug might be the cause of your stalling problems. If you haven't tried a new plug yet, start there first, then look at retuning.