Revo 3.3 vs. Brushless E Revo?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark_Sevier

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
hey guys.. I just bought a Revo 3.3, but after talking to the guy at the hobby shop, he really got me thinking about the brushless E Revo? He said its faster, quicker off the start, no tuning, easier to maintain.. Seemed like all of the positives outweighed any negatives?

Does anyone have any Feeback or experience with the 2?

I don't have an E-Revo, yet, but the downsides are expense and run time. To get the good performance you will need high capacity 3S Lipo batteries which are not cheap. Expect to spend over $1000 to get the brushless Revo going whereas the nitro revo only requires 8 AA's, $30 in fuel, a bottle of nitro cleaner (or Simple green), after run oil and a couple extra glow plugs. Grand total would be less than $60 in addition to the truck.

Then you have run time. The E-Revo is probably only going to run 10-15min before battery change (again, don't have one so I am not sure on their runtime). If you only have the money to buy 1 pair of batteries then you also have to wait for them to charge, or spend another $300-400 for another pair of batteries. With the nitro you just top the tank off and keep on going.

With that being said the lack of constant cleaning/tuning with an electric is a huge plus to me. Just plug in a charged pair of batteries and off you go. When they run out, unplug the batteries and put the truck in the closet. No mess, no fuss.

You can save money buy just running NiMH batteries but then you lose the power you get with the LiPo's. All that being said, if your wanting something to just play with on occasion without a lot of upkeep, then the electric would probably suit you best.

I bought a3.3 revo(model #5308)about a month ago and could not be happier I used to have an electric truck but did not get the run time out batteries would run 8 to 15 min depending on what motor battery set up i was running :Dalso if I changed batteries after a couple of runs it would melt the wire connection to the motor and I burned up a couple of expensive race motors. I like the nitro because it just sounds ands smells wicked when burning fuel also i enjoy tinkering with it a little tweak here a little tweak there its alot of fun. bash it till you break it then fix it

i just bought a revo 3.3 #5308 a week ago and absolutely LLOOOVVVE it! i was gonna get a brushless truck but decided to get the revo 3.3 and I'm glad i did. great truck and very durable!!!

now lets add some fun to it,

i am just getting ready to buy another model and it will be a revo 5308 :) as well

as mcss describes it,
electric is nice and fun but u have to have deep pockets and be prepared to run and charge batteries a lot :)

I'm glad I went with the 3.3... just finishing up the break in tomorrow. Then ready to kick some ass this weekend!

Electric is cool

My buddy just got the E-Revo (non-brushless for now), and I couldn't be more impressed. It has great torque and very quick off the line. I am running a T-Maxx with an OS .18 and it is no contest off the line or low end torque...he smokes my truck. Running with 4700 MAH 7 cell NIMH packs, we are seeing over 20 minute run times. 2 pairs of batts and thats enough for one day's bashing. As others have said, the plug in and go is the big selling point...as well as the consistent power and low end punch.

That being said, the cost of the batts is what would probably sway away from the nitro version. He is running stock with NIMH batts, and you are already talking an extra $300+ for the 2 sets of batts, and then he got 2 chargers for an extra ($80) as well. So all in, well over 8 big ones to run the stock truck, not the brushless. Add an extra 200+ for the brushless version and come close to double the batt and charger costs as well. Very pricey, but it probably owns all!

So I would say if cost is an issue, stick with nitro...if you have bucks and want the best and most consistent experience, pony for the electric! That thing rules. No mess, no tuning, great power, quiet, and simpler to work on.

Hope that helps.

Then you have run time. The E-Revo is probably only going to run 10-15min before battery change (again, don't have one so I am not sure on their runtime). If you only have the money to buy 1 pair of batteries then you also have to wait for them to charge, or spend another $300-400 for another pair of batteries. With the nitro you just top the tank off and keep on going.

ehh, you dont know what you are talking about.......... you will get close to an hour of runtime each set of batteries with 3s lipo's in the truck. So if you are just guessing about somthing, get your poop straight before posting it, and giving wrong information.

as mcss describes it,
electric is nice and fun but u have to have deep pockets and be prepared to run and charge batteries a lot :)

He's wrong. :D

now lets add some fun to it,

i am just getting ready to buy another model and it will be a revo 5308 :) as well

as mcss describes it,

i agree with you... and there is nothing like burnt nitro fuel in the morning and waking the neighbors. . .lol

Don't matter which one you stick with, they are both great cars. You'll be digging in your pockets anyway.... it's addicting :contract:

:cheers:

id say wait for the mini revo brushless to come out..

i have a 3.3 and i love it...

yeah the mini brushless is what I'm getting

i agree with you... and there is nothing like burnt nitro fuel in the morning and waking the neighbors. . .lol

i agree with you revo rob!!! nothing like having the neighbors say "did you hear that? what the hell is that smell?" lol!!!:D

ehh, you dont know what you are talking about.......... you will get close to an hour of runtime each set of batteries with 3s lipo's in the truck. So if you are just guessing about somthing, get your poop straight before posting it, and giving wrong information.

He's wrong. :D

Wow, way to be a peepee-head. Like I said, I did not know for sure, just based off of other electric RC's I have used.

If you get 30min runtime out of 3S, then screw nitro if you have the money.

It all depends on the batteries to how long run time you get. My batteries last 45 mins each, and thats almost constantly at top speed. If i was more gentle with it, i would atleast get an hour out of it. But wheres the fun in taking it careful? :)
I much prefer electric to nitro, its so much more easier to use, you dont have to tune it, buy fuel, and you also dont annoy the neighbours. And they are faster than nitro.
I'm never going back to nitro, i didnt have a very good time with it. It was an off brand, but i still wouldnt ever go back, not now that i have had electric anyway.
Also, you dont need Lipo batteries to go fast, all you need is a good motor and you'll be going fast enough! But obviously, if you want to get the best speeds out of the car, you'll have to go brushless and lipo.

Wow, way to be a peepee-head. Like I said, I did not know for sure, just based off of other electric RC's I have used.

If you get 30min runtime out of 3S, then screw nitro if you have the money.

Well, i am a peepee-head, but i also make damn sure i know what i am talking about before posting it up on a site that is trying to help people with the hobby. So take being corrected and learn from it, dont try to start petty drama or e-thugging because you were wrong.

Well, i am a peepee-head, but i also make damn sure i know what i am talking about before posting it up on a site that is trying to help people with the hobby. So take being corrected and learn from it, dont try to start petty drama or e-thugging because you were wrong.

:hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe:
i have never heard of that one thats funny

Okay, your telling me I am the one 'e-thugging'. LMAO.

I'll quote my earlier post since you obviously didn't read it:
(again, don't have one so I am not sure on their runtime)

Pull that stick out of your butt and move on please.

Back