Traxxas XO-1 release 11:30:11

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's right. Been so long I forgot.

Traxxas has come a long way since the days of having the oldest MT platform that couldn't stack up to the competition. As an on-road racer I wish this was more relevent to touring cars but they've made it pretty clear over the years their disinterest with releasing a competition level vehicle. Even their bread and butter group (off-road) fails to house a true racer (1:8 buggy).

So if I 'm reading the overview right you have to download an app for the ipod touch or the iphone in order to get the claimed 100mph speed? Man what a jip! It's bad enough that it costs 1100 bucks. Not to mention that you have to pay extra for a stupid app to get the cars full potential!

So if I 'm reading the overview right you have to download an app for the ipod touch or the iphone in order to get the claimed 100mph speed? Man what a jip! It's bad enough that it costs 1100 bucks. Not to mention that you have to pay extra for a stupid app to get the cars full potential!

I'm pretty sure the app is free, You'll need a TQi transmitter to make use of it anyway. If not, than I call shenanigans.

I don't foresee it costing no $1100 possibly in the mid to upper 800s....either way I don't care I want one

It says you need a iPod or iPhone to unlock the 100mph, I'm wondering if thats a 1 time setting or if you always need the ipod connected. because if the ipod is needed to run at full speed what happens if you want to bind it up to a spektrum or futaba controller? besides that and being kind of impractical it's a pretty sick car.

Hmmm. I guess it's not too bad considering it comes fully RTR including a pair of 3S lipo packs.

IF (and that's a BIG IF) there became a large following and racing developed I could see myself with one, but I don't see that happening so I'm not giving much thought to it. :)

Hmmm. I guess it's not too bad considering it comes fully RTR including a pair of 3S lipo packs.

IF (and that's a BIG IF) there became a large following and racing developed I could see myself with one, but I don't see that happening so I'm not giving much thought to it. :)

Maxamps owned lipos that will crap out on noobs and are only 25C?

sent from my EVO 4G using Tapatalk

You don't think that's maybe somewhat of a poor generalization about their products? I'm sure not every pack they make is faulty. And let's face it, users often blow their own packs due to improper use. I used to be one of them before I learned how to properly take care of my stuff. As far as the price I'm just saying about the overall package ya know. They got some stuff going on that nobody has yet done. A live application from mobile device for telemetry and tuning? A molded undercarriage/diffuser? Heck, competition level touring cars don't even have chassis' like that and 1:8 nitro on-roads have been hitting nearly 80mph for years now. There's no doubt they could benefit from that. Shoot, even serious carpet racers could benefit from a finely tuned undercarriage. I race with guys that can tell the difference between bodies due to handling differences which is strictly an aero change. Getting back to cost, remember when Traxxas released the Revo Platinum Edition. Wasn't it like $750 and didn't even come with packs? I do think it's overpriced but considering it's trully RTR I can't compare it pricewise to say 1/4 scale stuff.

I do think it's total BS that you have to "unlock" the ability to go to full speed. What is that all about?

Hmmm...Tower did not have it up when I checked. I think a lot of time and thought went in to it obviously and I think it's cool as hell but I doubt I would buy it. Some It may never get anywhere.... but then again a lot of people thought the Slash was never going to make it either but.... that STARTED a whole new class of vehicles. I guess only time will tell.

I'm glad you bring that up Joey as it's a perfect example to debate. The Slash worked out well because it is relevent to what r/c off road racing is... lots of jumps, necessity for ride height and fair amount of suspension action, size, acceleration, speed, etc. The Slash had everything going for it, it actually had a place to play both as a basher and as a racer.

Now this XO-1.... not so much. It really has no place, but... neither did the Baja. Fans made a place for it. I mean.. I think Rob had one that was specifically setup to race on-road. If this car can manage to gain that kind of following we may see a boost in parking lot race clubs full of guys who want to run a larger car @90+mph. My reservation come from the fact that 1:8 nitro cars have been able to see those speeds and the popularity of those is not that great here in the states. Now I know of a nice permanent racetrack west of me where they could possibly run these, but I don't know they'd ever get one to triple digits (not that you need to go 100mph just because you can). I highly doubt it, it's just not that big. Even the local 1/4 scale speedway with it's spectacular banking wouldn't provide enough straight to see that speed.

If Traxxas would be willing to invest in a serious promotional campaign they could certainly make something big out of this car. Honestly, the car itself deserves it. I think it's cool as *&$@. However, I don't know that they would go to the necessary extents to boost interest.

Another thing to consider. Racing a car like this is inherantly going to be expensive. High speed equates to expensive repairs and the only way to keep costs down with a 100mph car is talent and all that talent is wrapped up in 1:10 and 1:12 scale programs. Racing a car like this basically needs to be limited to Xperts Only. That's the most interesting part about it. How many on-road experts do you think are going to take the plunge for this? I'm gonna say VERY few.

I agree with you...I thought the Slash was going to bomb honestly. But I was WAY off base. This one I think is bad but again not sure who the market is. I mean the speed is cool but CEN has a 1/10 scale on road with a .30 in it that is geared to the sky and does 80+ fairly easy. Ok the brushless can get there a LOT faster but still that is speed not a lot of us can handle. I think this thing is a missile with a lot of potential for bad things to happen with retarded young teens trying to do crap they saw on TV. I would love to drive one just to open up the explosive power it should have but own one.....yeah no reason becasue I have to where to run those speeds at. Now I would LOVE to see some really good folks like Drake battling it out at 75-90 MPH speeds and the crashes!!!!!! Woo hoo flaming cart wheels of death!! It would be damn cool.

I think it's marketed for the rich a-holes who can buy one just to have it!

---------- Post added at 12:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:17 AM ----------

I wonder how long it will be before Traxxas will slap a nascar truck series body on it and call it a new product. I can see it now. All new 100+ mph Kyle Busch Nascar Truck!

What I like most about this car is not it's speed, not it's technology, not it's scale. I like the fact that Traxxas is actually gambling a bit here. I don't think this is by any means a safe (from a business perspective) release. This car is kind of pushing the broundaries, not only of what r/c can be, but also what the market may want it to be.

Ya know Lessen they did it once before with the the 1/5 scale Monster Buggy gasser they made close to 10 years ago. They gambled lost because the market was just not there. I am interest to how this plays out. They are big enough they can stand to loose a bit and not get too hurt. I just want the brushless set-up from the sucker.

I am just dumb enough to try and get one as soon as I can gather up enough rc funds!!! You dont have to be doing 100 every time you use it.. can you imagine how fast that thing would rip through a race track??? I think it will be alot of fun!! But I do think they should make sure no kids are buying this so maybe we dont start seeing bans on the exo-1 because of all the property damage and people getting hurt from running into themselve and stuff... I would like to get one before any ban could happen or before they pull it off the shelfs because of to many injury's... this could have a short life but be worth scooping up while it can be!!!.. along with a couple extra motor esc. sets for the other electrc's to see how this motor will do with the e-maxx and e-revo.. that would be sick!!

I can't wait to see the first pictures / videos of this thing hitting a curb... it's gonna be awesome!

mtaylortank said:
can you imagine how fast that thing would rip through a race track

Yep. The same speed as a 1:10 13.5 open. I see it every other weekend. Need a pretty good sized track for it to make sense. Id love to take one to a 1:4 scale speedway.

I wonder how it would do on an 1/8 mile drag strip against a real car?

Back