This is why you don't buy Traxxas...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm assuming you mean the maximum speed? That would be 25MPH out of the box or 40MPH with two of the stock NiMH packs ran in series according to Traxxas website. That being said the ESC is only capable of 3S and two NiMH packs ran in series would be like running a 4S lipo so I'm a little confused by their statement.
I really meant minimum. I plan to maybe put some equipment on it like a simple camera. Cameras often can't handle images that move too quickly. That's why I wondered how slow he can actually drive.

Do you know of another RC car that could drive over sand and is quite slow?

I really meant minimum. I plan to maybe put some equipment on it like a simple camera. Cameras often can't handle images that move too quickly. That's why I wondered how slow he can actually drive.

Do you know of another RC car that could drive over sand and is quite slow?
Well, you can controll it with throttle to go very slow. If you want to go slower you can change pinion. If you want.it even slower change the motor. Maybe some brushless outrunner with less than 1000 kv

Yeah you can make it go as slow as you want. If you put a gopro on it you wouldnt have to worry about going to slow.

The guy who opened the thread claims that he broke rustler 3 times at the track. 5 years ago I use to go with friends to windy City rc before they closed unfortunately. They were running onroad primarily but they also had small off-road carpet truck. We use to go every week and we all run Traxxas with exception to one wl toys. We never broke anything, except wl toys.

I was running rustler that I bought of eBay as a roller for 70$ and assembled from parts I had laying around, 1/8 scale buggy wheels, stampede body and 13.5 motor.

This is Traxxas hoss at the local scatepark. I don't do bigger jumps then this but never broke it.

I am not saying they are unbreakable, a broke a bunch of parts before. But I think some people expept way to much.

If you drive anything wrong enough it will break.

I have rc cars from multiple brands and guess what they all break if you drive them wrong enough. My most 2 unreliable cars out of every car I own are my 2 Arrma 3s models. I've seriously considering trading the Senton for a Slash as it literally breaks every time it is run.

If you drive anything wrong enough it will break.

I have rc cars from multiple brands and guess what they all break if you drive them wrong enough. My most 2 unreliable cars out of every car I own are my 2 Arrma 3s models. I've seriously considering trading the Senton for a Slash as it literally breaks every time it is run.
Our Arrma Granite breaks every time we run it too. It needs better axles.

Last edited:
I'm not a Traxxas fanboy by any metric, but I must admit that my 2wd slashes are pretty durable. The only breakages I've had were due to my own stupidity and incorrect setup.
The nice thing about the Slash (I have no experience with other Traxxas models) is the ease of working on it and the availability of a wide spectrum of factory and aftermarket parts. For just a few $$ on RPM parts reliability increased immensely.
Of course it would be nice if Traxxas beefed up their stock parts, but most all manufacturers have the same marketing scheme- they want you to buy replacements. This may seem cynical, but most of us RC'ers mod the crap out of our rigs anyway. My LHS stocks a ton of factory and aftermarket parts for Traxxas, other manufacturers not so much.

I'm not a Traxxas fanboy by any metric, but I must admit that my 2wd slashes are pretty durable. The only breakages I've had were due to my own stupidity and incorrect setup.
The nice thing about the Slash (I have no experience with other Traxxas models) is the ease of working on it and the availability of a wide spectrum of factory and aftermarket parts. For just a few $$ on RPM parts reliability increased immensely.
Of course it would be nice if Traxxas beefed up their stock parts, but most all manufacturers have the same marketing scheme- they want you to buy replacements. This may seem cynical, but most of us RC'ers mod the crap out of our rigs anyway. My LHS stocks a ton of factory and aftermarket parts for Traxxas, other manufacturers not so much.
Anything a company can do to drain money from ya, they will do it!

The other 2wd models are just as easy to work on. My lhs is mostly Traxxas and crawler stuff.

Anything a company can do to drain money from ya, they will do it!

I can't remember where I read it but the rc manufacturers make very little if any money off the cars themselves, most of their profit comes from parts sales.
Our Arrma Granite breaks every time we run it too. It needs better axles.

The Senton is still on the stock driveshafts somehow. But those bumper springs are a complete joke they break way too easily and too often. My biggest gripes with the 3s platform is the slipper assembly and the motor module, both of which are the worst executions of a good idea. The slipper is made out of too soft of a material for what it needs to do and just breaks, Arrma bandaided this on the 4s models by putting a ring over the outside of the slipper hubs. And the motor module where do I begin with the motor module, removing it is nowhere as easy as it is in the video, I need a screwdriver to pry mine off same for the battery tab and then for the worst thing dirt and debris get trapped inside the motor module getting inside of the bearings in the motor and the slipper assembly I literally have to tear my 3s down and clean the bearings after every few runs none of my other cars have this problem. I have cars that have 3 year old motors in them on the original bearings, I've replaced the bearings at least 3 times in the past 3 years on both of my Arrma 3s cars. Out of 23 cars and those are the only 2 that have that problem it is 100% a problem with the design.
I won't ever buy a 3s Arrma ever again.

Last edited:
Well uhhh... Took me an hour and a half to fix...
17691A0E-8860-4B0F-8A62-42E93946FE9B.jpeg

I've been known to bash Traxxas a little in my threads, but only because of how often I break these money pits trying to pass for "hobby grade" rc cars.
Today was no exception. Took my Rustler to the new indoor carpet track the club I frequent opened up today for practice runs.. I didn't even get through one complete battery pack and it broke not once, but twice. First casualty was a rear shock tower that literally split in half. A buddy had a spare so I tossed that on and kept running. Not 4 laps later... the rear bulkhead where the hinge pin attaches split wide open. This is a small indoor track with some pretty small jumps. Not bashing this thing or launching it 30 ft like Kev Talbot does... it was also pretty warm in there so cold wasn't a factor in making the plastic brittle. I guess I just don't consider a product quality when you have to immediately replace over 3/4 of the parts with RPM or something stronger so this crap doesn't frequently happen.
So far I've had to replace both front steering knuckles, rear axle carriers, servo gears, a complete servo, now a rear shock tower (might as well do both), a gear cover where the plastic split from barely over-tightening, and now a transmission case. Also going to replace the a-arms with rpm as those are bound to go on me as well... I've only had the car since August and haven't run it that often. Not to mention the parts I've had to replace on my Stampede as well which I'm now trying to sell just to get rid of the thing.

EDIT: Make that 3 times in one day. Apparently I also bent the crap out of the cheap shafts on the rear shock as well that day on the Rustler. (Not even on the side that the hinge pin mount broke)

TL;DR Traxxas sucks, do not buy. Don't be a sucker like I was and believe the fanboys who swear by this crap.

View attachment 114075View attachment 114076
Their employee care is just as poopy

Haven't read the full thread yet. My slash is 7 years old. Nothing is stock one it and it is still breaking. Fried up the stock brushed ESC but that was my fault from reverse polarity. Burnt up a lot of titan brushed motors. Converted over to a LCG chassis and the problem I have with that is the pegs on the lower plate moves back and forth when steering and breaks in half. Went through about 8 of those plates and they still break. Contacted Traxxas support to see what they say and there is no aftermarket option or anything on how to stop the pegs from moving. Another thing is the bodies. The bodies crack in the wheel wells (Traxxas bodies) I upgraded to a proline body. That body is durable and has only 1 crack in it (the one time the neighbors dog bit into the body) I also have a rustler. Even cheaper and worse quality than the slash but it is a little more durable than the slash. On the rustler I upgraded everything besides the chassis and drivetrain. Heck my losi mini b is the most durable car I have (well before, now I got the b74.1 and that might be the best preforming. ) I want to sell the Traxxas cars and get more race vehicles or might get a arrma. Also heard another story on YouTube. He had a bandit vxl and wanted to get up to 70mph. The box says to use a 33t pinion. Well Traxxas doesn't even offer a 33t pinion 🤣🤣 well done.

So let me get this straight. You went to HR because your bonus was less this year than previous years, they told you "sorry but thats all were giving out this year", so you lost your temper, they threatened to fire you and then you in turn threatened legal action against them and you're surprised you got fired? You do understand that bonuses are not part of your salary, the company is not required to give you anything right? Judging from your appearance Id say you were lucky they hired you in the first place.

Last edited:
I have a Traxxas Maxx V2 that I beat the sh*t out of on 4s. Its loads of fun, wheelies anytime on 4s. Flip it, roll it, jump it, mostly on concrete. I did have to replace all four plastic half shafts with metal parts, a traxxas kit with new hubs too. I mean I beat the snot out of this thing, on wet streets too, which hurts parts and the diffs. I recently purchased a new Jato 3.3 nitro and the transmitter is bad. One call to Traxxas and they have a new one en route to me right now. Would not bind to my car. I had a Jato 13 or 14 years ago (2 speed tranny) and its fun and pretty fast.

So let me get this straight. You went to HR because your bonus was less this year than previous years, they told you "sorry but thats all were giving out this year", so you lost your temper, they threatened to fire you and then you in turn threatened legal action against them and you're surprised you got fired? You do understand that bonuses are not part of your salary, the company is not required to give you anything right? Judging from your appearance Id say you were lucky they hired you in the first place.
My thoughts exactly. I'm also wondering if he worked there given no company shirt and they appear to be wearing red. He could have driven in and shot a video. No telling nowadays.

I wasn't going to say pretty much what you said. So thanks for saying it for me. 🤣

My thoughts exactly. I'm also wondering if he worked there given no company shirt and they appear to be wearing red. He could have driven in and shot a video. No telling nowadays.
Really? I kinda thought he seems like a model employee 🤣

I pretty much figured as soon as the video started and all he kept repeating was "HR fired me for going to them with a problem" that he was full of BS. No HR department ever has fired anyone for going to them with a problem. Getting pissed off and flying off the handle about whatever you went to see them about if you didnt get your way, I could see that happening though and after watching about 10-15 minutes of the video it kind of becomes apparent thats what happened. People these days 🤷‍♂️

Back