T-Maxx 3.3 engine replacement

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a shame I'm looking for a decent quality engine (not to bothered about piece part from being <£200). Really annoyed that the picco .26 isn't available it seemed like the perfect engine for what I was looking for

My gut says that the force 28 drop in that I linked too won't be a bad purchase. I'm not 100% sure the picco version was much better as I never had one. I just know picco's are known for their build quality. CNC'd piston and whatnot. Tend to last a long long time when properly cared for and bearings are watched.

If you were going true big block to true big block, then I'd go with picco over force, but that's not to say the force are bad engines.

I'm going to jump in for a minute. Like i said above. I run a ofna force .32 in my maxx, I've had it now for about 2.5 seasons and i beat the snott out of it, i dont have any trouble with itat all, easy to tune and always a great time watching it fly by me. Do take olds97 advice and get a good pipe for it, it will wake it up alot.

I also have to jump in for a minute…

Unless you are willing to upgrade everything drive train related, center and wheel shafts, diffs, transmission, wheel hexes (14 to 17mm) a .28 or up BB engine will just cost you a lot of down time.
If you willing to go the extra mile put in a big one and let r rip. You will also have to learn some throttle control with a stock 4908/7 chassis or you will spend a lot of time flipping the rig back on its wheels.

I had to upgrade my trans to rrp steel and my clutch to 1/8 scale, but stock diffs and sliders hold up fine on my revo which would be similar to his maxx wouldn't it?

I do replace my sliders every 2 or 3 gallons due to yoke slop... but I think that's pretty good.

Couldn't agree more with the Snook Man. And as for the Omega .21 engines picco made for the Maxx I have had great luck with them. It does take some extra time to break in properly. I have both a Revo and a Maxx with the Omega engines and they are screamers, my Revo lifts the front end shifting into second gear.

Picco .28 has been discontinued? Nooo!

:eek: that's pretty sexy definitely not disappointed now. My picco Max pull start broke so I minus well get this hehe.

Sounding like an expensive project if one of these behemoth engines is gonna shred most of my drivetrain. I might just have to be sensible and go for the puney OS engine. Am I right in think it has pretty much the same power output as the 3.3 despite it being slightly larger in displacement

Yeah, it can get pricey pretty quick.

The OS21 should put out more power than the 3.3. The old OS18TM put out the same power as the 3.3, but did it more smoothly and less peaky than the 3.3. Also tuned like an OS and was reliable like an OS.

I ran a 18TM in my revo a long time ago. Ever since I went true big block in my revo... I have been spoiled. However, I learned to like the 3.3 as well. I still have my old TM in a drawer... may give it a try again with the new THS pipe I got for when I run my 3.3 in it to see how that does. I'm working on picking up a second revo that I can keep as a small block. I save my LRP's for warm weather and run my 3.3 in the winter... but lately, while running alone, running a sb may be a decent option as I'm out to have fun, not impress friends with standing backflips... and the 3.3 was still fun, just ran longer on a tank of gas, which was nice.

Never ran the O.S .21 but as olds said I have also ran the O.S .18 and it would def run right up there with any 3.3 I have ever seen. Plus the durability of the O.S engine is going to be better than the Traxxas 3.3 not that there bad engines I just think O.S make better quality.

Last edited:
I have a friend who is running an O.S TZ engine in his Revo. I can tell yah it will walk away from my 3.3 Revo heres a pic of the O.S .18 TZ View attachment 12913

Last edited:
The TZ was rated a bit higher than the TM on all counts (rpm, torque, hp). Is just annoying trying to find one that is pullstart, slide carb and pilot shaft.

Why they put a rotary carb on a performance minded engine is beyond me... but then again, putting a pullstart on a performance minded engine is also not typical.

I suppose you could buy the pull-start version for $199 and buy a slide carb for $90... but may as well just get the 21TM for that kind of dough. Then at least you also get a manifold that will work for you... and more torque, for $40 less.

Now the 21TM seems cost effective! lol

Last edited:
Yah the one he is running has the slide carb pretty sure its pull start. I know the power it puts out surprised the heck out of me. My 3.3 stays with it until they shift into second then he just walks away from me.

Having had both the 3.3 and 18TM, they are pretty much the same on a flat run, but the 18TM feels guttier throughout the entire RPM range whereas the 3.3 feels kind of dead until the RPM's really spool up.

I would guess the 18TZ would be a lot like the TM, just "more".

Why's it so hard to settle on a engine:angry: . I want an engine that's slightly more powers full but don't one that's going to shred my car to bits. Is there no well know engine in the .22-.26 range?

Why's it so hard to settle on a engine:angry: . I want an engine that's slightly more powers full but don't one that's going to shred my car to bits. Is there no well know engine in the .22-.26 range?

I would go with the O.S .21TM I don't think you would be disappointed in that engine.

Is there no well know engine in the .22-.26 range?

You are limited by starting systems and can not use a starter box only engine.

There are lots of quality engines in the .21/.26 range but unless you go with a mid block (BB displacement in a small block footprint) they will not fit correctly on a stock Tmaxx chassis without a monoblock type rear extension (or a hack job).

Taken care of, the OS .21TM will serve you well.

Back