Yes, another glow plug question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theant

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey

I am running 20% Sidewinder nitro with 16% oil in my Tmaxx 3.3. I was using a McCoy MC-8 medium glow plug for quite a while, and now I got a MC-59 Hot plug from my LHS (I didnt notice at first). What are the benifits and or disadvantages of using the hotter plug? I am hoping that it will only be a matter of tuning for the hotter plug and not an issue of potential damage to the motor.:\

Thanks

BTW, I am at work and dont have much time to do a search, so if this has been talked about before.....

Last edited:
The difference between hot and cold glow plugs is the amount of heat they hold. By changing the glow plug from cold to (let's say) medium, ignition timing will change - will happen faster in the cylinder (given that you don't modify the needle settings), or will happen at a lower pressure.
A hotter plug will allow for faster acceleration if the engine is retuned after changing it.

I would recommend to use the glow plug supplied with the engine in the beginning, or if one is not supplied, use the one that the manufacturer recommends. After you break in the thing and tune it well, try to increase the heat range just a little bit (from cold to medium cold, from medium cold to medium and so on). See how the engine behaves (torque, heat), make sure you retune the engine after changing the plug. _joe-

the 3.3 comes with a medium plug ..... i found that my 3.3 runs much better with a hot plug ...i have trouble keeping my revo on all 4 wheels ...it will flip on its lid if I'm not careful with the throttle ..lol..even with a wheelie bar on :D......i havent tried a cold plug

Every 3.3 I've ever owned came with a hot plug, and cold plugs are a waste of money on most "regular" engines.

I would think that a small block with that much oil would benefit from the hotter plug. The only real problem you'll get from the wrong plug range is higher engine temps and sometimes more finicky at idle.