Windows Problem

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Pirata

RCTalk VIP
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Ever have a problem that been a problem for so long you actually start to not really notice the problem? Better yet you figure since you've dealt with it for so long you really don't need to fix it?

Since I got this computer almost a year ago I have been having a problem with saving images. I know that it's a jpg format image I am having a problem with but I am not sure whether other formats gif, bmp, etc have the same problem. Here's what happens: I right click onto an image and select "save picture as" and the save window opens. The save type is JPEG (*.jpg) and I click save. After saving it in I open windows explorer and it does not recognize the format at which it was saved by my computer. If I right click again to save the another image the folder in which the first image was saved does not show that the first image was saved in the format the new image is being saved as.

I mean literally for the past year every image I have saved onto my hard drive I had to manually type in .jpg after the name. It does get old and I know there's some sort of computer setting that will allow me not to do this. Any suggestions?

I assume you are doing this thru a browser.......what browser and browser version?

Sounds strange to me.

-Chris

Windows XP Home/IE6

I think I remember it doing this on another computer a few years ago.

Right click on one of the JPGs in question and then click on Properties. It should say "Opens with: Microsoft Picture and Fax Viewer" (the whole title may be cut off, thats OK).

Is that the case?

I had a problem a while back in XP that if I opened a JPG in Picture and Fax Viewer, then put it in a zip file and tried to view it in a different viewer prog, the file came up corrupted. Still worked in Pic and Fax Viewer, but no where else.

Windows Explorer not showing the extension might be OK........depends if you have it set to show file extensions for known types.

-Chris

EP, there's something funny about saving pictures sometimes with IE6. If you rename the file you saved and change the extension to .bmp (from .jpg) it will work. For some reason IE6 (or maybe the website you saved it from) converts the image to an uncompressed BMP even though the file extension says JPG. So, when you try to open the image, windows is expecting a JPG, but it's really a BMP, and gives that error.

I don't know why, I just have seen it do that.

Now I remember why I stopped using IE.

Mozilla saves pics quite nicely :)

-Chris

Originally posted by error401
EP, there's something funny about saving pictures sometimes with IE6. If you rename the file you saved and change the extension to .bmp (from .jpg) it will work. For some reason IE6 (or maybe the website you saved it from) converts the image to an uncompressed BMP even though the file extension says JPG. So, when you try to open the image, windows is expecting a JPG, but it's really a BMP, and gives that error.

I don't know why, I just have seen it do that.
The problem lies in the fact the same thing happens no matter what site I am on. The exact same thing.

Well, all I can say is, another fine product from your friends at microshaft.

Did you try renaming the file that's saved so that the file extension is JPG and not BMP? Or vice versa.

It saves it as a jpeg vs a jpg format. The only way is to manually type the extension into each of the thousands per month I save as I save them which is a real pain in the butt.

Originally posted by error401
Well, all I can say is, another fine product from your friends at microshaft.

I have yet to figure that one out EP. My dad had the same problem and we never got it to work right. There might be a batch renaming utility out on the net you could use.

I'm running XPpro with IE 6.0.2800...I just rght clicked on a picture and sleceted 'save as'. When I do so it prompts me for the file name and just below that I noticed it states the file format to be JPEG (.jpg). I then find that file using File Explorer and the icon looks like a default windows icon. If i then right click on the file and tell it to OPEN WITH IE it open just fine. I did find this article in the Windows Knowledgebase. You may want to try these suggestions first.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;260650

when you save it, put quotations around what you are saving
Example:
an image is titled dog.jpg
when you right click and save as, in the save name type "dog.jpg" so that windows can't rename it

just a suggestion..

Originally posted by El Pirata
It saves it as a jpeg vs a jpg format. The only way is to manually type the extension into each of the thousands per month I save as I save them which is a real pain in the butt.

So, say you are saving file "foo.jpg" but you change the name to "bar".........the final file you see would be "bar.jpeg"? If so, when you double click this, it doesn't open correctly in the Pic and Fax Viewer?

If thats the case, you can add a File Association for .jpeg to fix that.

-Chris

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling internet explorer?

One of the easiest ways to get a recent version of Internet Explorer 6 (especially on a dialup) is to get a hold of an MSN disk. MSN8 is the latest. Microsoft will send you one for free. I keep one around just for a recent version of Internet Explorer.

Abort the setup invoked by autorun when you drop in the CD. The path to the setup is <root>:\msn\ie\ie6setup.exe.

It's worth a try.

I have run a across Windows quirks that absolutely nothing corrected except a format and reload of the os. Fix attempts included Microsoft's knowledge base recommendations of registry hacks.

I had an issue after installing MGA photo suite where jpg's would no longer preview in an explorer window. MS knowledge base identified this quirk as associated with third party software and their recommended reg hack couldn't bring it back.

This attempt, of course, after uninstalling MGA photo suite.

Back