Why does life have to be so tough sometimes?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

godale03

Awesomer!! Than Rolex!!
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Well guys,

Today we had to make a very difficult decision. We have decided that it is time to put our cat to sleep. She is at least 20 and is having all sorts of trouble going to the bathroom, and keeping food down. She is also having issues "leaking" and getting sick on the carpets. She is also deaf. We had kinda hoped nature would take its course, but the decision had to be made. It just seems wrong that we get to decide wether or not something lives or dies, but we know that she is suffering. It still just doesn't seem right. She is a good cat. I feel absolutely terrible right now.

I also have the duty to sit our 6 year old down and explain to him what and why this has happened. I am not really sure how he will handle it... but this is one of the things about being an adult that is not enjoyable. Wish me luck guys.

Tom

It's not easy no matter what and telling the little one will probably be harder than making the decision to put the cat down. Before my mother-in-law discovered they had a radon gas problem in their house it seemed like everytime I went there I was having to take a cat to be put down because of health issues from the Radon. It seemed to get to the point they would all take off and hide like "here's the guy that comes to visit and one of us always disappears!"

I guess it is just one of those nasty thing in life that we all as adults must face. I went home for lunch and had lunch with her, one last time and said my goodbye's. It is so tough knowing that she has no idea that she only has hours left... and was purring and craving attention as I left. I truly hope she is really suffering and we are not mis-interperting her symptoms. The vet I am sure will let my wife know if it is something that can be corrected. I fed her some lunchmeat while I ate my sandwich. She seemed to have a hard time chewing it, but she sure did gobble it right up! LOL My wife is going to bring her back to the farm so that we can burry her in a nice peaceful place.. full of sunshine... she loves to lay in anywhere there is a bit of sunshine.

I feel for you Tom, it's the part of being a parent that nobody brags about. I once had to tell my son (he was 4 or 5) that I ran over his dog...Not fun! Straight forward and honest seemed to be the best route. He cried, we got a new dog, and he got over it much better than I expected.

Just wondering....What type of food do you feed her? My MOM has a cat that always suffered with urinary tract, and puking, the vet said it was the food. She has to buy some high dollar food but the cat has been fine ever since.

Last edited:
I feel for you Tom, it's the part of being a parent that nobody brags about. I once had to tell my son (he was 4 or 5) that I ran over his dog...Not fun! Straight forward and honest seemed to be the best route. He cried, we got a new dog, and he got over it much better than I expected.

Just wondering....What type of food do you feed her? My MOM has a cat that always suffered with urinary tract, and puking, the vet said it was the food. She has to buy some high dollar food but the cat has been fine ever since.

We feed her Purina Indoor cat formula food.

Yeah it is definitely not the part any parent would brag about.
I suspect given the fact that she is at least 20 years old, maybe older, that it is more than just food causing the issues, but if it is only food, I hope the vet says something so that we can make a change. I wonder if the vet will check her out before they put her to sleep? I would imagine that they just don't put an animal down just because someone wants them too.

Tom

My wifes cat which I adopted when we got married was 21 years old when she died. She also went deaf and would howl at odd hours because she got confused. On a Saturday evening I noticed she had not eaten anything and was laying around more than usual. Sunday was the same so I decided to take her to the vet first thing in the morning. I got up to see how she was and she had passed away during the night. I felt bad and still do that she died alone and not being held. She was a great cat.

Take your cat to the vet to see what they can do. If the best thing is to put her to sleep, then at least you can be there with her. In the end, it will make you feel better about it.

My wifes cat which I adopted when we got married was 21 years old when she died. She also went deaf and would howl at odd hours because she got confused. On a Saturday evening I noticed she had not eaten anything and was laying around more than usual. Sunday was the same so I decided to take her to the vet first thing in the morning. I got up to see how she was and she had passed away during the night. I felt bad and still do that she died alone and not being held. She was a great cat.

Take your cat to the vet to see what they can do. If the best thing is to put her to sleep, then at least you can be there with her. In the end, it will make you feel better about it.

Your right... and if this is something the vet sees as the right thing to do, I can definitely rest a bit better knowing it was the best thing. Alot of folks don't understand the attachment that one can have to a pet. As far as I am concerned they are a member of the family too.

Tom

man thats a tough one we had to put two dogs down this last year,it was the best thing for you to do,its hard but not fair to make the cat suffer ...hang in there!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks guys... I am getting ready to head out to pick up our little man. I am not looking forward to this at all, but I will do what I gotta do.

That's a very difficult issue that a parent has to face, and I feel for you on this one.
If I told you about my partner of 16 years, my "Watch" dog Rolex, I'd know I'd still cry. I was there to comfort him as he looked me in the eye and drew his last breaths.

Just remember, the happiness and pleasure they gave you in the years they were with you, FAR outweighs the sadness of their loss.

How much we love our little critter friends also says a lot about who we are as a person.

I had to put my dog down 2 years ago at the vet and as much as I told myself I wouldn't cry, I did. Like a baby and all the way home. One of the toughest things I've ever had to do.

Good luck Tom and like the others have said, getting a replacement makes it much easier to cope.

I agree get another pet asap,it is not a replacement but it sure helps get you over the loss you just had!!!!!!!!!!!!

A pet is a part of the family. Hard to loose one, much less going through explaining to the step-son.

Lost my little Spitz several years ago. About like SD said. Didn't think it would bother me much.
The dog had a baby blanket he would lay on. Ol' lady made me take it with me when I buried him. (She wouldn't go)
I was OK till I put that blanket down and laid him on it. Lost it then. That was hard to do. Don't envy you.

Good luck.

I feel for you man. Toughest thing I've ever had to do is go with my sister to put down her pet rabbit of 9 years. If anyone knows Rabbits he lived a long life. My sister was like 12-13 at the time. I also had to comfort my mom when she had to put down her cat Sassy after 14 years because of cancer. Not fun, at all.:\

My little partner went naturally, at home and in his own bed. Not only did I wrap him in his own baby blanket, but also the blanket I had as a baby.
Several months later when I moved, I moved him also, to a wooded ridge where he'd never be disturbed, and I can still visit.

Rolex.jpg

Thanks guys for all the well wishes. I really appreciate the support. It was not the best evening I could have imagined for sure. I picked up my stepson and took him home. I sat down with him and let him know why mom wasn't home. He absolutely broke my heart when he asked me how long before Spunky woke up. I almost lost it. He was so sincere and when I told him that Spunky is now in heaven he started to get those crocidile tears. He did ok, he pulled himself together and was understandably sad.. but he seemed to take it ok. When my wife got home, it was tough.... we found a nice spot underneath a tall cedar tree for her final resting place. It should get nice mid day sun... of which Spunky always enjoyed. My little boy even resited the Lords Prayer.. by heart.

Thanks again guys for all the support. Rolex that is one cute little dude you have there.

You guys are right... an attachment to a pet is a wonderful thing and a relationship that we all hold dear. Thanks again guys for helping me through a difficult time. You guys are the best.

Tom

20 years is impressive, last I cheked that was like an average of 80 human years or something. Ironic you should make this thread, my cat was put down 2 weeks to the day, only 12 years old and he had a bone stuck in his throat that was cutting off his food and air supply, the last 5 weeks were the worst, I am sometimes described as somewhat "emotionless", but after we had him put down it felt better to do that, but I miss the odd things he did when he was still in good health and evertime I come home, I wish he was still there looking at me through the window as I came up the driveway.
It's funny how people can make fun of those who get teary eyed over such a big decision, obviously, those who are, are not pet owners for as long as we are.

godale the short story: you are doing the right thing, in spite of the difficulty, and knowing it's right should help.

The longer story: when my daughter was 8 she got this cat, it bonded with her and was her companion. Slept on her bed, always her buddy, you know the deal.

When my daughter turned 18, she joined the Army. The cat seemed fine, ate, slept, was sociable . . . but after about 4 months she just began losing hair and weight. Took her to the vet, they could diagnose nothing, and only assumed her immunity was just breaking down. They had no idea why. She would still eat, but kept losing hair, became more and more morose. She was nearly bald at the end, the most God-awful experience we ever had. One day my wife came home and found her in one of the closets, she pet her a little bit, and the cat gave out one final purr-meow and died.

Simply put, this cat just died of a broken heart, she was only 10. I'm just glad my daughter wasn't here to see it, and if I had to do it again, I'd go for euthanasia. Got a dog that's going blind now too, having pets is the greatest and worst of all things, the best thing to be gained is what we learn from having them around . . . and letting them go.

I saved my little partner from being put down after being abused, beaten and abandoned by 2 families.
I saved his life and promised him that no one would ever hurt him again, and a few years later he saved mine. I was sound asleep in the upstairs bedroom, and a large pot of water had boiled out on the gas stove. He got up on the bed and pounded on my chest and stuck his cold nose in my ear while making high frequency squealing noises.
Never before had he ever done anything like this, and the constant pounding on my chest with his paw finally woke me. It felt like I was being hit with a rubber mallet.
With my first conscious breath, I knew something was VERY wrong. I ran downstairs to find the pot glowing red, on the back burner, maybe just seconds from lighting up the window curtains.
I don't think it's possible to have more than one truly amazing and smart partner (pet) in a lifetime, but when you have been lucky enough to appreciate one that's been so special in so many ways, consider yourself very blessed.

This has been one of the saddest threads I've ever seen here on RCNT, and I hope I'm not the only one who's teared up.
We certainly seem to come together like a family in good times and bad, and for that we also need to be thankful for RCNT and it's members who pull together for friendship and support.

I don't think it's possible to have more than one truly amazing and smart partner (pet) in a lifetime, but when you have been lucky enough to appreciate one that's been so special in so many ways, consider yourself very blessed.

I know exactly what you mean Rolex. A few years ago I had that special dog. Her name was Tasha and she was my best friend in the world. She was a 91 lb Sheppard Rott mix, and she was always by my side. I even took her off roading with me in a special harness I had for her so she would not get thrown from my Jeep. She loved it! Smartest, sweetest dog I ever had. She had gotten cancer and my wife and I spent a small fortune getting her medical care. But a year later the cancer returned and she began to suffer, no way was I going to let my best friend in the world suffer. So I did one of the most difficult things I ever had to do. I made the appointment with the vet that had been treating her, and I held her in my arms as she went to sleep. It crushed me, I still miss her.

So I feel for ya Tom, it's never easy, although it really sucks, just know you did the right thing.

Back