Why do piccos run so hot during break-in

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxxFX

Gone - bye bye.
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I've broke in a lot of engines in 8 years but why does a picco run so hot, I just got a picco max .26 and its running 240 for break-in i back the low speed out another 1 1/2 from factory break-in , same w/ my picco .21 its spitting tons of oil but just runs hot most the engines i tune break in at 210!

I dont know... sounds like you are rich enough... Let us know how the maxx .26 turns out! I'm dying to hear a review.

did u try touching the HSN at all? That might make a bit of a difference...

Bouzouki said:
Glow plug

yea, I guess that could be it also. Try a colder glow plug, and try adjusting the HSN a bit also and let us know how it turns out.

It could just be a tight pinch. As it breaks in, it wears less and runs cooler.

My Omega 21 was the same way. My OS 21's didn't hit 200 until half way through the second tank and I had to lean it and drive it a little to get that! But my Omega hit 200 within a few minutes and was spitting fuel all over. After about a gallon, the temps would range from 210-260 in my savage.

redhatman said:
yea, I guess that could be it also. Try a colder glow plug, and try adjusting the HSN a bit also and let us know how it turns out.

I Believe its hotter the plug, cooler the engine runs.

All plug temp does is change the detonation timing. Hotter plug, earlier detonation. Cooler plug, later detonation. With it detonating to soon, it would actually cause higher temps because the engine would be fighting itself on the upstroke. 21's typically like medium to cold plugs.

Could it have possibly been that;

1. The air filter was so dirty that the black crud had made its way all the way to the bottom of the filter?

2. 90% of the bearings are shot and 30% seized?

3. It's held together with wood screws?

4. There is no brake linkage?

Most probably though it's because the engine is shot.

Thanks MaxxFX

Mr T

I use a medium/cold plug in my Picco P3 .26 Outlaw in my Savage (not the T-MAXX engine). The motor runs at 210-220 degrees, it runs great, and it makes huge power. I have been very pleased with it.

Mr T-Maxx said:
Could it have possibly been that;

1. The air filter was so dirty that the black crud had made its way all the way to the bottom of the filter?

2. 90% of the bearings are shot and 30% seized?

3. It's held together with wood screws?

4. There is no brake linkage?

Most probably though it's because the engine is shot.

Thanks MaxxFX

Mr T

LMAO....Funny guy

I was using a hot plug in my sirio .27. It was running like complete crap. It would die when i would let off the throttle, wouldnt start back up... Just a pain in the ass. So, i thought i would try a different plug. All i had that was different was a turbo cold plug. I swapped the head buttons and installed the cold plug and what do ya know, it runs sooo good i can believe it. I thought i got a lemon at first, then i switched plugs and it came to life!

Back