Where should I put my MMM?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjl5590

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hiya,

My converted Hyper 8 is nearly done. I just need to do 3 more things.

1: Find a suitable place to mount the MMM

2: Find somewhere to mount the antenna

3: Find a body that will fit

Here are some pics so far:

DSC01815.gif

DSC01816.gif

DSC01818.gif

DSC01819.gif

The only 2 real options where I can mount the MMM is either above the center diff, but I think it's too high up and will be susceptible to damage.
The only alternative is to zip-tie/velcro it to the mudguard, but it's just a piece of plastic secured to the chassis by 3 little screws and I'm wondering if placing it there will be even less safe than high up.

In the last picture you can see how much the body is being deformed by the batteries etc, and I'm just wondering if there is another body that is higher? It's only got 2 mounting posts, so I guess that rules out any truck bodies.

Many, many thanks for any advice offered!

I'd mount the receiver up top on the diff and put the MMM in the receivers current place...I'd rather replace a receiver than a MMM any day of the week. Just extend the wires.

Are you planning to race this? I hope not. The batteries will be punctured and the ESC on the mudguard will get destroyed as soon as the first buggy T-Bones yours'. Your batteries are just too big IMO. I'd suggest running a 3S pack layed down in the same spot or angled. Spektrum rx's will work just fine with the antennae wound up and secured under the body. I ran my Savage around 200 yards with no antennae wire from the box. I left it inside, no problems ever.
I would mount the ESC over the center diff, That is about the only place a buggy body will protect something.
Back to the batteries, you need a hard case lipo or some kind of guard. If you just plan to go fast and bash, you should be OK with your current layout. I'd move the RX off the servo, it may cause issues with the servo directly attached. The older Spektrums will glitch if you pass the throttle or steering wire over the top of the rx sometimes also...
Not trying to be rude or a peepee.... I just would hate to see all that hard work and money ruined if you put it in a race. I have raced enough to know where the most damage prone spots are on buggies/truggies. Look at some of the other brand's BL conversions, you may get some fresh ideas.
Taller body mounts can be a problem sometimes and that will just allow debri to enter easier.
Maybe put the rx on the rear chassis brace??? I don't know, just throwing ideas..I love the challenge of making custom stuff that fits, functions and is unique.. but there in lays the problem. Something breaks at a race, you better have made a spare!

In my Losi buggy, I have my ESC mounted on the battery tray plate, secured by the Traxxas MMM mount. The bad part about this mounting position is....I had a battery explode and it took the ESC out...which obviously ended my race (thank god the season was over). Sad day for sure, but the mount still proved strong and with it hanging ever so slightly off the very back, the rear wheel protected it from most collisions. Good luck bud.

I'm racing an OFNA LX-1e these days...and I modded it from factory to get some more battery room. The stock tray is TINY. I mounted my ESC up above the center diff, and I even made a custom larger plate for it out of some old dirt oval chassis material. Fits great under the body, and allows me to run my Losi hardpack 4s LIPO in there.

This is what I ended up with...

DSCN2405.jpg

DSCN2403.jpg

Back