What's it take to do a Back Flip?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Racer 1966

What are we doing today?
Supporter
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Ok guys,it's VBS time again at my church and I need something different to do than last year. Those of you that were here and remember I built a nice ramp and jumped my car with my Savage for the kids.
This year I decided I want to build a ramp to do a back flip off of and land on the ramp I made last year. So today I built this:

backflipramp.JPG

I did some trial hits on it and can't get a back flip. I was only able to get the truck upside down but not go on around back to it's wheels. So now I'm asking for some help from anyone that has been able to do it with a Savage. Is this ramp sufficient? Is the stock NitroStar .25 too weak for the job? Do I need higher speed when I hit the ramp(I was only using a 15-20ft run at it)? Am I supposed to hit full throttle and keep it there?
Any tips or advice would be much appreciated.

Ramp looks fine.

When I was doing it, I started at the base of the ramp and gassed it. Savage and Revo would flip every time. You can start farther away, but you need to let off when you hit the ramp and then gas it when you reach the top of the ramp.

The idea is top get all the weight to transfer to the rear as it goes off the lip of the ramp, roll up to the ramp at about 1/4 throttle, as soon as the front tires make contact wit the ramp nail the throttle and don't let off!

Hmmm... maybe my timing is off. I know when I take a fast run at it I certainly get some height! I know I was 10-12ft up with no problem,but the upside down landings were a bit painful to watch. A few cracks on the old body but no broken parts today.

I'll video my attemps tomorrow if it doesn't rain me out. Also,I do have an STS .28 ready to go in this week. I want to be able to pull some easy wheelies for them too :)

Thanks for the input guys :thumbup:

The way you kick ass at VRC, Id think you have alot of control when it comes to fast thinking with your radio. Backflips are real easy to control imo, just remember your brake to stop the rotation when your almost done with the flip.

As the others said, go up at a decently fast speed, let off for a second before the ramp, and when on the ramp just nail it and don't let off until you are just about full rotated then hit the braked a little and control the landing. Once you get the hang of it, it's really easy and a heck of a lot of fun to do. I love doing them with my revo so much!! too bad it poured today.. = (

Just don't smack the back of your head on the diving board. That's what it takes to do a back flip. What, me troll?

Last edited:
If you do make a flip, make sure to get the tires slowed down and be off the gas when it hits the ground or you will snap axles and blow diffs to shreds.

Make sure you get the engine running nice and clean, you don't want to hit the ramp, peg the gas and have it churtle away at you because it's loaded up or lean bogging. That will surely end a flip in a bad way. Speed isn't what it takes to get a flip to happen. You need enough speed to create 3-4 feet of height. As the guys said, you drive to the ramp at 1/2 throttle or less, hit WOT as your front tires hit the ramp and really by the time your rear wheels are off that ramp, it should be looking like it's going to rotate. Then just time the brakes properly to get it to land upright.

Make sure you get the engine running nice and clean,

This engine won't run "clean". I've tried tuning it all around and it just won't do it. Another problem I think I'm having is the slick surface on the ramp. I think it's just spinning too much to transfer the weight back and start the rotation early enough.

I ran a couple of tanks through it trying this evening but what ever the problem is, I can't get a back flip to save my rear. :shrug:

Another problem I think I'm having is the slick surface on the ramp. I think it's just spinning too much to transfer the weight back and start the rotation early enough.

This will definitely stop it from flipping, you need traction as you go off the ramp. Break out the saw, set the table so it only cuts 1/16 into the deck of the ramp and start cutting grooves to add traction...I watched the shed jump now I want to see the back flip!

Well,my top surface is only 1/8 hard board,so I don't think I want to cut into it. I think I'll get something like that wrinkle paint or maybe a spray on bedliner type coating.
By gosh I'll get a back flip some how!

My friend has a flipper ramp and has skateboard grip tape on the path of travel & that stuff is cheap so theres an idea? o_O

paint the ramp with lacquer and sprinkle sand on it before it dries. We use that on wooden decks over here.

they sell truck bed liner in a spray can for like $6 just go to your local auto parts store it would work great for this

About your grip problem, what you can do is get some paint, mix with regular sand and apply to your ramp, i use it for my motorcross ramps.

My camera sucks, my son is shaky and it's blurry but here's a little motivation for you!

Last edited by a moderator:
That rig looks like its dialed Smaxxin....

Thanks,I did finally get it down. VBS was last week so I worked my tail off getting the ramp ready and truck rebuilt and ready to run. Work all day,VBS until 9, back to the shop to make truck parts.I made some chassis braces to replace the stockers,a special wheel spacer to fix a broken wheel and center drive cup. I put a new bearing in my STS 28,sealed it up and installed an aluminum clutch set. Then I had to shim the flywheel forward to mesh properly with the spur. Also the HPI header was too large for the STS port so I had to buy a new header. Luckily my lhs had an old THS header that had been sitting around for long time so I got it cheap. I had to cut it off and flare the end but it worked great. Also installed some cvds I got from FLM a long time ago.
Stayed up until 2am Thursday finishing putting it back together. Friday on my lunch break I fired the engine for the first time and ran 1/2 a tank getting the tune close.
After work I loaded up the ramps and headed for the Church. I had to help with the grilling so I didn't get any practice at anything. When it was time to run I pulled the truck out and immediately found a problem. 1 of the ball links on the front rubbed on the wheel and broke. My wife headed for the house to get a spare and i tore it apart really quick. Turns out in my late night assembly,I mounted the arm on top of the steering knuckle arm instead of below it causing the rub. With it fixed,I fired it up ran a bit to warm it up,made a minor tuning change and then hit the ramp.
After a few ramp to ramp jumps I tried the backflip. Bingo! I used the sand in the paint trick as suggested so the truck accelerated off the ramp with ease. Ran through most of a tank jumping and flipping. Launched real high once and just tried to level it off for the landing and it slammed down on the landing ramp so hard it cracked the hardboard.
All in all it was a success. Here's a pic of the finished ramp and the upgrade parts.. Sorry but in my haste I totally forgot the video camera. :shrug:
I say most of a tank because I blew up something in the rear diff. It was still pulling but it was knocking and grinding doing it. I'll tear it down this weekend to see what broke.

backfliprampmod.JPG

sts28.JPG

upgrades2.JPG

rampcrack.JPG

Last edited:
Back