what oil wt are you guys running in the ofna/ue shocks?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arawak420

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
just wondering as i have a set of 4 ofna ultra lx coming and i hear the black springs are pretty stiff. i have some 35wt. 40wt. and 60wt laying around but i'd like to get it right the first time :shrug: . i would like it soft for cushing bumps and landings, but not so soft to were it bottoms out easy. i will be racing the shocks eventually. none of the jumps at the track have more than a 4"ft landing drop.

thanks guys can't wait to get this 3 speed, ofna shocks, and k46 all kinked out. now i need some 40 series bow ties on 23mm hex rims. :hint:

Try medium springs and 35-40 weight.

I would say use the 35-40 also. With the 60 wt, your car will be getting thrown around like a ragdoll. Thats just my 2 cents :2cents:

redhatman said:
I would say use the 35-40 also. With the 60 wt, your car will be getting thrown around like a ragdoll. Thats just my 2 cents :2cents:

I was going to ask the same question. What do you mean by this comment red? I'm not to up on how the different weight oils effect the shocks.

the oil wt (weight) is the thickness of the oil. Obviously, 60 wt is going to be thicker than the 30 wt oil. This affects the shocks by: When the shocks are needed/applied, the shaft goes into the shock body. There is this shock oil in there that causes resistance. When there is more resistance (higher wt) the shocks are harder to apply. Meaning, depending on what type of surface it is that you are driving on, you would want the appropriate shock oil wt, allowing the car to handle well, and not bottom out, as well as just bouncing around and not absorbing anything. Hope that helps...
-Pat (redhatman)

BTW, if you are thinking about rebuilding your shocks, and dont know how... http://www.misbehavin-rc.com/pit-lane/shocks/em-disassemble.asp there is a guide for E-MAXX shocks, but there is pretty much some standard parts used in all shocks.

The way I see shocks is this. The oil is what really absorbs the impact and the spring is merely the thing that controls the return to normal position. Depending on you set it up that is how it should work...at least for me.

jon2 said:
The way I see shocks is this. The oil is what really absorbs the impact and the spring is merely the thing that controls the return to normal position. Depending on you set it up that is how it should work...at least for me.

yup, thats a good way to say it... I just felt like being technical at the moment. LOL.

i know zandor i was just getting some other opinions. i may run 35frt/40rear.

arawak420 said:
i know zandor i was just getting some other opinions. i may run 35frt/40rear.

makes me think that I should do something like that. But I am rebuilding my shocks any day now, and I am doing 30wt all around on my RC10GT.

Can't find where, but I read somehwere that 70wt was better for this set up.

well, depending on where you mostly drive it...you want stiffer/less shock "absorbancy" so, Where are you mostly going to be driving this?

With the OFNA/UE shocks, the holes are so small that 40 makes it bouncy, the oil can't hardly get through the holes. If you drill the holes out to 1/16 (or 1/32, can't remember), basically a little bigger than they are, then 40 works well.

I unintentionally messed up my disks in my shocks. There were little burrs on the edge of the disk making the action not smooth. They were brand new disks. So, I had the bright idea of putting the shock shaft in a drill and dragging the disk accross sand paper while the drill was spinning... now I run 80 weight in my front shocks! But, it's almost like it was when I was running 40. 40 weight after this mess up felt like water, very springy and almost no dampening.

I run the UE navy blue springs on all 4 corners on my savage while using 4 UE shocks only.

I'm running 40wt with lst shocks

how much oil do i put in these things. were should i level my fill?

it came with oil in them. does anyone know what wt it is?

what is the spring tension of the balck springs. i see the green, white, and the other color but it doesn't say anything about the black springs

Dont know....try google.

Last edited:
Forums are for questions, I say ask away.

Back