what oil wt are you guys running in the ofna/ue shocks?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Buncrana said:
Forums are for questions, I say ask away.

yea, I guess. I dont know why I said that, (in fact, ... I didnt.)

I put 30wt oil in my UE shocks, and it is perfect. I run the black springs on the back and dark blue in front. Preload is about halfway down the threads...

olds97_lss said:
With the OFNA/UE shocks, the holes are so small that 40 makes it bouncy, the oil can't hardly get through the holes. If you drill the holes out to 1/16 (or 1/32, can't remember), basically a little bigger than they are, then 40 works well.

I unintentionally messed up my disks in my shocks. There were little burrs on the edge of the disk making the action not smooth. They were brand new disks. So, I had the bright idea of putting the shock shaft in a drill and dragging the disk accross sand paper while the drill was spinning... now I run 80 weight in my front shocks! But, it's almost like it was when I was running 40. 40 weight after this mess up felt like water, very springy and almost no dampening.

I run the UE navy blue springs on all 4 corners on my savage while using 4 UE shocks only.
I was wondering about drilling bigger holes to change the dampening.Or just adding an additional hole or two.

Wondering what? Just if it would change the characteristics of the shock?

It just does what I said, makes the thicker oil more managable. I tried going as low as 25 with the stock holes and they still seemed awful stiff, so I drilled them out a bit and upped it to 40, then it was just about right. 35 or a little bigger hole, but at that point, it's more personal preference.

olds97_lss said:
Wondering what? Just if it would change the characteristics of the shock?

It just does what I said, makes the thicker oil more managable. I tried going as low as 25 with the stock holes and they still seemed awful stiff, so I drilled them out a bit and upped it to 40, then it was just about right. 35 or a little bigger hole, but at that point, it's more personal preference.
Is it worth the drilling or to just change the fliud wieght?

35wt in the front seems good so far pretty soft and i have the spacer about 1/4" inch down from the top. still awaiting the rear shocks. i had to get them from 2 different shops. I'm also waiting for a engine mount as the threads that hold the motor to the truck one is stripped. i could just get a longer screw but I'm sure it will strip the rest of it out.

these shocks bleed nicely. just sit it upright with the top off for about ten minutes. can't wait to smoke the MT class at this new track in town. 3 speed, k.46, ofna shocks for a lower handling ride, 18t vented/47t spur. gpm turnbuckles as the stock kept poppin off.

i want to get some 23mm proline wabash rims and bow ties, but i've got so much damn cheese into this thing I'm scared to add it up. i could have got some 18" inch audi rims and tires for my passat station wagon and took a trip to jamaica. :)

Jon2, I'm not sure. I went as far down as 25 weight and still didn't get smooth action out of the shocks. You could feel the pressure of the oil fighting to get through the disk holes. After drilling them out, adding 40 weight, all you could feel (besides constant oil resistance) was a little build up of pressure as you had them almost fully compressed. My guess is that was the shaft eating up extra space inside displacing the oil and compressing the bladder.

I would compress and uncompress the shock without the spring on in my hands. Not attached to anything. I fiddled with it enough to figure I'd be having issues with them if I didn't try something. Since all I had was 25, 40, 55 oil, I drilled the holes and put in the 40. Worked well for me.

arawak420 said:
i could have got some 18" inch audi rims and tires for my passat station wagon and took a trip to jamaica. :)

Yeah, but could your volkswagen do backflips 15 feet off the ground and walk away smiling???

I think not my friend ;)

I'm lucky to get through a fill up (3tanks) bottle of fuel and walk away

Back