What Engines Are These?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monkey Wrench

My last words will likely be, Crap that didn't wo
Supporter
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Howdy Experts,

Received my "eBay Specials" today, two engines for $35.00! Yeah, maybe I got rooked, but then again, maybe I got lucky! Anyhow, I know one is an Ofna and one is a HPI. Both have "3.5" stamped into the crankcase, so I know they are .21's (correct?) What I don't know are the specifics. I'm thinking the Ofna is an Ofna?Picco .21 Comp and the HPI a Nitro Star .21BB, but after reviewing each maunfacturer's web site, I can't be sure.

The first three pictures are of the Ofna engine, the other two from the HPI engine. The label on the front of the carb on the HPI says "HPI .21 Big Block." Both engines need pull starts. The Ofna needs screws to reattach the head and the HPI needs a head, the screws to attach it and screws to attach the back plate.

Both seem to have decent compression, but it's hard to tell until I get them put back together.

Any help pinpointing what these bad boys are will be appreciated. Also, I'm confused by the purpose of a flywheel and if the flywheel needs to be matched to the engine or to the truck itself. Any clarification appreciated.

Take care, all! :cheers:

looks like you have gotton a good deal

The heat sink alone is worth your money, So I don't think you got the shaft. Either way they both appear to be in good condition, but I don't know much about power plants. Let us know how they run in the future.

The second one with the purple cover on the slide is an HPI .21, it came stock in the first Savage prior to the .25 It is missing the head though. As for the first one I'm not sure what mill that is.

that same carb came with my ofna ultra gt.. so if you find out what motor came on those factory that may be that motor.. i didnt get a motor with it just a carb (dunno why) but it was that carb

That Ofna engine looks more like the Hyper 21 then the Ofna/Picco.

the purpose of the Flywheel is to hold your clutch springs and shoes under the Clutchbell.....yes you need that....as far as matching to the engine, not really...it will make it easier to order parts but 99.9% of the stuff out will fit......what you have to be aware of is there are 2 sizes for flywheels....the newer buggys use the smaller ones for lower engine mounting in the chassis.....if you are running these in an MT w/ pullstart that's not really an issue....but you have less rotating mass w/ the smaller ones....clutches and springs for BB engines are pretty universal (3-shoe setup).........

Back