What engine should I go with?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zachary

Gone - bye bye.
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Last Friday I blew the engine in my swift and don't know if it would be worth fixing the engine or just buying a new one. It has a HPI Nitro Star 25 in it and needs a new con rod and some other stuff. If I was to go with a new one would I be better off with a 21, 25, or 28? I'm looking for the best non-expensive engine i can find. One that is a good bashing engine.

By the time you end up replacing the con rod on the engine (that's about $65), it might be better off to just invest in a whole new engine. Have you looked into the STS line of engines, or possibly even the XTM 24.7? Either one will get the buggy up to speed in nothing flat.

If it will fit the Team Losi Mach 427 is a killer lil powerhouse and is only 150.00 usd.
my neighbors both have them in there RTR 8ights, and both have been very easy to work with and run like lil monsters.

for 150. if it makes 6 to 8 gallons, you can almost consider it a throw away motor. but should only run about 40 to 60 for a sleeve/piston.

I have an OS RG I can sell (75 shipped) you but you will need a starter box for it....easy to tune and it's all broken in for ya....it's a .21 buggy engine.....

XTM 24.7 would be a good choice. Its easy to break in and very easy to tune, and very durable for bashing. I've had a lot of sand go through one of those engines, cleaned it out and it ran like new.

okay well today I toke the engine to my hobby store and they popped the back plate off to find out that the con rod is still fine and that my crank shaft where the con rod goes on broke off right there. other then that every thing is still in perfect condition. I was told that i should just order a new crank shaft and every thing will work fine again and that its about $40. I looked online and I've been able to find everything for the engine but the crank shaft. I've looked on towerhobbies and even googled it and couldn't find the crank shaft. So do you guys know where i could get a crank shaft for a hpi nitro star 25 3.5cc engine???

If it's the crankshaft for the S25, the part number is: HPI1424. Hope that helps!

no if you want power for cheap get the lrp z.28 spec 3 truggy engine, or the pull start version!!!

the both have almost 4 horse power!
and the truggy engine is 160
the pull start one is 180