Weedeater Airboat

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have no doubt that the fiberglass is strong enough. I just prefer the felt. Maybe I was getting the wrong type of fiberglass mat. My experience with felt was so much easier to work with.

Nah, the mat I use is Marine Matt, it is very very nice, and close knitted, so it is easy to maneuver. Never really itched from it. Inhaled too much of it when my jackass buddy locked me in the inside of a comp van i was working on...... passed out n woke up in the hospital........ kicked him in the nuts so hard........... memories.....:hehe:

i didn't read through all these posts but i was builiding one with the owner of the hobby store with a weedeater engine, i left the project and gave the owner all my stuff though... i'd recomend a syrofoam sheet, you can pick them up at most insolation places
about 3 inches thick or so. so you have room for readio gear. build you a woodent motor stand, something put together with wood dowls and glued. and also fiberglassing the hull after you are done, just my o2

i didn't read through all these posts but i was builiding one with the owner of the hobby store with a weedeater engine, i left the project and gave the owner all my stuff though... i'd recomend a syrofoam sheet, you can pick them up at most insolation places
about 3 inches thick or so. so you have room for readio gear. build you a woodent motor stand, something put together with wood dowls and glued. and also fiberglassing the hull after you are done, just my o2

Thats what I first had in mind.

thinking of it i have an old leaf blower out in the shop..... hehehehe

Mine is a kit I got from Dumas about 3-4 years ago. It’s the "Big Swamp Buggy"; made from spruce and mahogany ply. It took a lot of time to put together. Comes in a box full of sheets of wood that is die cut. So I had to punch it out, clean it up, shape as needed Using bad instructions... about 60-70+ hours later I had a boat. You might try a large SPAD design. The plastic is easy to work with and comes in big sheets. I would use the real thick stuff and re-enforce as needed.

So what did you think of the BSB when you got it done? I have one too but don't like it compared to my other airboats.

this is mine

Attachments

• IMG_1406 copy.jpg
    IMG_1406 copy.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 201
could you build the hull like an air frame out of basla wood and then wrap it in the fabric and paint it with the resin? it would be light and you could put the ribs in the bottom for directional help.

So what did you think of the BSB when you got it done? I have one too but don't like it compared to my other airboats.

this is mine
It is ok I guess....I put a .61 on it so it was damn fast....had to cover the compartment so it did not fill up with water all the time though.

could you build the hull like an air frame out of basla wood and then wrap it in the fabric and paint it with the resin? it would be light and you could put the ribs in the bottom for directional help.
Another good Idea. I was thinking about the corrugated plastic the SPADs are made of for a frame maybe.

I could, I've just never done anything like it and wouldn't know where to begin.

Yes you can. I found an old weedeater I forgot I had and I am going to try to build a hull out of balsa wood and use the felt with fiberglas resin. It should work out just fine.