Turning Radius Question..

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bellr77

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I recently bought a T-Maxxx (RTR) and a Savage (Front End In Pieces/.21) off Ebay and after alot of Time and effort and many trips to the LHS I got my Savage together, now everything seems to work but I'm noticing my Savages wheels dont turn very sharp, at least not near as sharp as the T-Maxxxa, I returned to the LHS to compare what my truck looks like compared to there manuals, now my question is is this normal? Does the Savage just have a wider turning radius because of its design?

mine has never turned very sharp either, and with the stock servo it came with it takes the wheels forever to actually get turned.

true, i heard that the stock servos are crap , you should consider upgrading to better a one
hitec 985 , is good start

If you haven't done so already, upgrade the stock steering assembly to the Cam type servo saver. You only need to do this if it's a pre-X truck.

anyone else have this problem, related to steering: I had to adjust my EPA on my Futaba 3pm 2.4 ghz to 60 percent for both right and left, as the servos were at the limit of the steering and making that "high pitched buzz" that they do when stalled. Running a hitec steering and a futaba throttle servo. Both are digital, and running system in HRS mode. But 60 percent seems like an awful waste of travel. This is a Savage X SS and has the bellcrank steering system on it.

you adjusted the EPA but did you check the D/R? and if it is binding up at 60% maybe you tie rods are set too long. when the wheels are pointing froward they should be toed out just a little

no, 60 percent is the point where it doesn't bind. I think I had to dial a lot out when I had my previous savage.
The tie rods are to the 1/100mm of the manual's spec. I don't have it to the "tires on" stage, yet. Once I get tires mounted and get it running, will see how it is.

Ok Without the anything on, manually turn the wheels. Do they go further than what you have your EPA set to? My savage turned very well. I did a couple mods to the hubs with a dremel to allow more throw. Do a search on here. Sweetdiesel made a great write up on it.

As for servo's I used a JR 650M with a 6 vollt 5 cell hump pack.

Let us know if this helps.

Hey Jon2..I might look in to the hub mod....I have cam style on both of mine and upgraded servos and they still don't turn super tight. I think that is just a Savage thing unless modded.

I am also not getting hardly any turning when the truck sits on a tile floor (stopped, and moving steering left or right). I have the bell crank steering on it, as the SS comes with, the adjustment collar is at 4 mm per the manual. My steering servo is hitec hs-5645MG, so plenty of torque. Should I adjust the servo saver collar tighter?

I am also not getting hardly any turning when the truck sits on a tile floor (stopped, and moving steering left or right).

That's normal. It's like being in a car without power steering. When you're stopped, the wheel is VERY hard to move, and when you're moving it's easy.

the only way to get a savage to get a tighter turning radius is to to the steering hub mod that was mentioned above gives you approx. 20% more steering.

the mod takes all of 15 min to do and is very straight forward just take note of where the hubs hit the arms and remove them and grind off about 1/8 inch of plastic from the hub in that location reinstall and double check regrind if nessacery.

Back