Tuning Help....Newbie Here!!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Turn the flywheel one way, till there's pressure. Turn it the other way till there's pressure. Make note of how far you turn it. Approximate the mid point and that's BDC. You can also take the glow plug out and look down the cylinder to where it's at the bottom. Once that is determined, take some white out or red nail polish and mark the top of the flywheel that is in front of the carb That way, you'll have a reference in the future where BDC is.

okay, thanks for the explanation.

Rolex, I will follow yoru advice tomorrow and get back to you. Thanks again.

Rolex said:
100-110? It's hard to keep it that cool running it under water.
Lean the LSN 1/2 turn and restart it. Let it idle till the temp stabilizes. (doesn't rise any more) If necessary, lean it another 1/16 and let it continue to run till the temp again stabilizes. Keep doing that till it idles at 210 or better.
At any time, if it stalls out, bring the piston to BDC and allow it to cool completely before restarting it.
Let it idle a tank or two more between 220 and 240 and bring it to BDC every time you shut it down or it runs out of fuel.
From time to time you might have to blip the 'snot' out of it, but do not go full throttle. Just short bursts of RPM to clear the excess oil out.

Hey Rolex....okay I only was able to do a tank today but I'm happy to say it never cut out on me. I adjusted the LSN as you said and the temps fluctuated between 206-229. Does it need to be more stable than that? Also as the tank was nearly empty, the temp dropped to the 190's. Is that normal?

baldie said:
Hey Rolex....okay I only was able to do a tank today but I'm happy to say it never cut out on me. I adjusted the LSN as you said and the temps fluctuated between 206-229. Does it need to be more stable than that? Also as the tank was nearly empty, the temp dropped to the 190's. Is that normal?
The temp range it was idling in is perfect. Treat it as though you have just started the break in, since the earlier tanks didn't bring it to proper temp.
Temps often vary during the early break ins, and might also rise. If it gets to 260 during break in, turn it off, bring it to BDC and let it cool completely.
Eventually it will stabilize.

Rolex said:
The temp range it was idling in is perfect. Treat it as though you have just started the break in, since the earlier tanks didn't bring it to proper temp.
Temps often vary during the early break ins, and might also rise. If it gets to 260 during break in, turn it off, bring it to BDC and let it cool completely.
Eventually it will stabilize.

If it does get to 260 or higher, will I need to make any adjustments or simply just let it cool down and restart it?

Just let it cool down completely at BDC and restart. I've seen engines get hot after running at 220, and another tank or two later they are running fine again with no adjustments.

I will be breaking in a tank or 2 today. I will be on my 3rd tank, which according to the manuel I will be driving it around in a circle. I know you said to just let it cool if it goes over a running temp of 260, but shoudl I adjust the HSN at this point in time as well?

Give it another tank of driving at the current settings, then lean the HSN about 1/16 for the next tank.
Keep an eye on the temps.

Rolex said:
Give it another tank of driving at the current settings, then lean the HSN about 1/16 for the next tank.
Keep an eye on the temps.

WHen I start adjusting the HSN, will I be paying attention to performance or running temp? Will the HSN adjustment reach a point where running temp will be sacrificed for peformance or vice versa?

You'll be starting to tune for performance now. Each tank you run, lean the HSN 1/16. Keep the temps under 260. That engine should run well in about the 240 range. Make sure you always get a nice trail of smoke.
Just drive, and enjoy.

So as I'm tuning for performance by adjusting the HSN, should I stop adjusting the HSN if the temp starts rising above 260? At that point I can say that the HSN is set at its highest point?

If it runs well at 240, leave it there for another 4 tanks or so. I always ease into the final 'raped ape' tune. By the time you tune it for it's best performance, you'll also be able to handle it at speed.
Get ready to start breaking parts soon. lol
Check with Jesse_G when you do.

Hey Rolex....okay I took out for a tank today. I was having problems with the idle temp. I did not touch the settings since yesterday when the idle temp was doing 206-229. I did notice though that the idle temp rises when I have it sitting on a block and letting the tires spin freely. Today I let it idle with the tires touching the ground and the highest the temp rose was around 189. I drove it in circles at a slow speed hoping the temp would rise but it did not, it actually dropped to around 160. Also while it sat on the ground idling, it sputtered a little. Sort of like it wanted to move but it didn't, like hesitation. Do I need to lean the LSN more? I won't be screwing it in too much will I?

Also I wanted to know how to improve the braking? When I hit the break, it gradually slows down to a stop.

I am happy to say though that it never cut-out on me like my T-maxx use to do.

I mentioned earlier that higher temps might go back down during or after the basic break in. You can start leaning the LSN a 1/16 at a time while you drive it, and keep checking temps on it. If it idles well between 200 and 220, leave it there, and any other tuning would be done on the HSN for performance.
Do you have the manual? There's a knob you turn to adjust the brakes. Put it on a smooth surface with the engine off, and roll it back and forth while you adjust it. Make sure they only grab when the brake is applied, and not when the trigger is in the neutral position.

Rolex said:
I mentioned earlier that higher temps might go back down during or after the basic break in. You can start leaning the LSN a 1/16 at a time while you drive it, and keep checking temps on it. If it idles well between 200 and 220, leave it there, and any other tuning would be done on the HSN for performance.
Do you have the manual? There's a knob you turn to adjust the brakes. Put it on a smooth surface with the engine off, and roll it back and forth while you adjust it. Make sure they only grab when the brake is applied, and not when the trigger is in the neutral position.

What about the sputtering during idling?

That will clear up when the needles are set right and it's at proper temp. You will most likely have to reset the idle screw also.
You might also want to start with a new glow plug.

Rolex said:
That will clear up when the needles are set right and it's at proper temp. You will most likely have to reset the idle screw also.
You might also want to start with a new glow plug.

How do I reset the idle screw?

did you actually go and watch them vids i gave you a link to ???????????????????