Traxxas 4-tec 3.0

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrandonZ55

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
So I'm pretty new to the Traxxas stuff. I've had this factory five snap on 35' truck for about 2 years. Love it it's fast it's fun. But I want more. It's completely stock. So I was looking into lipo batteries. So it doesn't make sense to me to go to a 2s battery because it's less voltage. Am I wrong will it still be faster?? What should I do? Any help or insight would be great. I don't wanna kill myself spending too much money but I will spend some to make it faster. Where do I start? Thanks

I don't think your going to get much more speed out of the stock brushed motor. Looks like you may need to spend a couple hundred bucks to find what you are looking for. You may be able to find something cheaper used, but 3200kv is a pretty good starting point in my opinion. Runs great on 2s and you can try 3s later if you get bored. Just remember: More speed = more broken parts and upgrades that may be needed.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/hobbyw...ss-waterproof-esc-3665sd-hwa38020344/p1455072

So I'm pretty new to the Traxxas stuff. I've had this factory five snap on 35' truck for about 2 years. Love it it's fast it's fun. But I want more. It's completely stock. So I was looking into lipo batteries. So it doesn't make sense to me to go to a 2s battery because it's less voltage. Am I wrong will it still be faster?? What should I do? Any help or insight would be great. I don't wanna kill myself spending too much money but I will spend some to make it faster. Where do I start? Thanks
I'm assuming you have a brushed version and you're using a 7 cell NiMH pack? If so, then at the very beginning of the battery pack the 7 cell pack will have a slightly higher voltage than a 2S lipo but NiMH packs lose voltage very quickly and dip under the max voltage of a LiPo. Plus the LiPo has a flatter discharge curve meaning it will hold much higher Voltage throughout the life of the pack. LiPo is superior to NiMH pack even if the NiMH pack might be a tiny tiny bit faster for the first minute of the pack. The LiPo will stay faster longer if that makes sense.

The only way to get faster than that is to switch to a brushless ESC/motor combo and run 3S.

Ok. Yeah that makes sense. I should have known that from using DeWalt tools all the time. About the way lithium batteries work. I wasn't thinking. And yes it's all stock a titan 12t550 motor. So i guess my first thing is to get some 2s batteries. And run for a while. And then save up a little spending money. How much is a decent brushless motor? And I'm assuming servo also? It has the xl5 I believe.
What would be the benefits of changing gear ratios? It tops out around 30 or so. Would I gain much right now by changing any gears? And 1.5 years ago I couldn't find anything on the 3.0 4tec. Only options was the truck I have from snap on. They didn't really make any body parts or suspension parts. Being the 3.0 is different from everything else. Is my best bet to search ebay and Amazon? Or does anyone know a good hobby store or website? I'm located in central PA and there isn't a whole.bunch around here.

Ok. Yeah that makes sense. I should have known that from using DeWalt tools all the time. About the way lithium batteries work. I wasn't thinking. And yes it's all stock a titan 12t550 motor. So i guess my first thing is to get some 2s batteries. And run for a while. And then save up a little spending money. How much is a decent brushless motor? And I'm assuming servo also? It has the xl5 I believe.
What would be the benefits of changing gear ratios? It tops out around 30 or so. Would I gain much right now by changing any gears? And 1.5 years ago I couldn't find anything on the 3.0 4tec. Only options was the truck I have from snap on. They didn't really make any body parts or suspension parts. Being the 3.0 is different from everything else. Is my best bet to search ebay and Amazon? Or does anyone know a good hobby store or website? I'm located in central PA and there isn't a whole.bunch around here.
FWIW, I’m not a skilled or talented RC man. But I’ve been doing it for a while, and have had many different ones. A brushed, RWD Slash was the first RC I bought, and the only one I ever sold, back in ‘09 or thereabouts. Again, just FWIW. I always only bought brushless in surface RCs, except for a crawler.

Back