Tough truck?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glass Bullet

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
So I was thinking of getting another nitro car, a monster truck. I was hoping to get one that is very tough and reliable, like one that doesn't break very easily. I'm not looking for the fastest truck or the "best" truck, just one that can hold up when I go out bashing. Right now, I'm not taking price into concideration because I will probably have a different limit by the time I get the car. But I am looking for a 1/10 or 1/8 scale. Now now, I know what you're saying, "We can't tell you what truck you should get cause it's different for everyone" or something like that. I understand this, I'm just looking for your opinions. Thanks

I've only had one breakage on my revo 3.3 and that was because a branch got caught in the a arm. but I've rolled it, jumped it,even smacked a full size tire and its held togther. i would highly reccomend the revo 3.3

Any of the Losi 1/8 monsters will be tough as nails. The aftershock was the first m/t I've owned, and have only broken one arm on it. and i beat the crap outa my rigs. Only getting rid of it now,because I'm gettin out of Nitro.

revo, savage, and any losi 1/8. in no particular order, all are great bashers.

savage X SS with FLM tvps, CNR brakes, LST2 Shocks.

revo, savage, and any losi 1/8. in no particular order, all are great bashers.

+1 to that! I own a Revo 3.3 and an LST (1st gen). From what I've heard and read the Savage might be more durable, then the LST and then the Revo. I still think the Revo, tough as it is, was meant to be a 'durable racer' more than a basher. Just my opinion :D

I am on my second T MAXX and I like it. From what you hear they are fragile and man I have put mine threw some rough stuff. I also had a run in with a mote carlo tire doing at least 20 mph if not a bit more. Now it is a newer one.

The Losi monsters can be a bit aggravating at times with the 2-speeds and steering linkages.
Revos need RPM arms and al. carriers then they are tough.
The Savage is the bashing king hands down. Out of the box they can take a ton of punishment.

I am waiting to hear the verdict of the Slayer. If it is anything like its predecessor, the Slash, I would say go with that instead. But then again, I am new and just read a lot right now and there really has not been to much to hear about for the Slayer, yet.
If you could wait till next month when Traxx brings it out to the market I would say look at that as a contender. Also, Associate is coming out with the SC8 or something like that...Maybe it can with stand the pounding but not sure if it is even a Nitro or an Electric. It will be interesting to see them when they both come out.

for bashing, the savage is hands down the king, I've owned 3 savages and a revo. the savage doesn't handle as well as the revo. add some rpm arms to the revo and lighten it up a bit and its pretty durable as well. the only thing i broke in the savage was poping shock caps off trying to climb a tree, and stripping wheel hexes. the revo keep pulling the shock end off in the rear. and I've stripped a few hexes on it as well.

stock vs stock i dont think anything matches the savage for all out durability.

I've even put the savage head to head with a t-maxx ( i mean head to head to, we hit head on on accident) the savage drove away with a scuffed front skid, the maxx had 2 broke shocks, 1 bent shock, broke upper and lower arm, and bulkhead.

Last edited:
for bashing, the savage is hands down the king, I've owned 3 savages and a revo. the savage doesn't handle as well as the revo. add some rpm arms to the revo and lighten it up a bit and its pretty durable as well. the only thing i broke in the savage was poping shock caps off trying to climb a tree, and stripping wheel hexes. the revo keep pulling the shock end off in the rear. and I've stripped a few hexes on it as well.

stock vs stock i dont think anything matches the savage for all out durability.

I've even put the savage head to head with a t-maxx ( i mean head to head to, we hit head on on accident) the savage drove away with a scuffed front skid, the maxx had 2 broke shocks, 1 bent shock, broke upper and lower arm, and bulkhead.

Now that sounds like a video i'd like to see, LOL.

I haven't had the privilege of running all sorts of trucks, but I have to say that my T-Maxx is holding up very well. It's taking beating after beating from me and my oldest son (he's 12, so those of you with kids can imagine) and it gets back up and keeps on trucking.

Right now it's slightly wounded, I busted the O ring around the muffler so it keeps slipping off the pipe, easy fix ( I hope).. so a truck that will do you good would be the T-Maxx altho I have to admit that I'm in love with the LST2, myself. And the Revo is cool.

Take your pick, I think you'll be happy with any of the recommended trucks.

Now that sounds like a video i'd like to see, LOL.

no video but i had some pics, this is the only one i could find.

DSC00137.gif

The Revo is tough as I have done some really stupid stuff and it holds up well. Concrete, trees, no problem. If you really want to style, pick up a platinum revo, but for bashing you need reverse.

Back