Tool boxes?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

.21Rc10GT

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey guys...

My parents and I have finally decided that i need a tool box in the garage for all of my tools (non-rc related). I am going to need a big tool box (roller type with drawers)... I think at least 50" wide will be in order. I have been looking online at Snap-on, Craftsman, Mac, and Matco boxes, but i really have no idea what to look for. I want something with a top box, as well as the bottom rolling section with drawers. My budget is between .01 and $3000, lol. I really want something with quality, and want it to last my entire life. Any help would be appreciated. I think that there are some people here with way more experience than i have. I am also wondering of stores to check out locally... Does anyone know who sells boxes? I wanna kinda look em over...

I have a $4000 snap on chest and it blows. My dad also has a big snap on chest and he hates his too. They dont roll worth a poop, the drawers constantly stick, and I'm just overall very unhappy with it. I use my old Craftsman chest the most still and its been a awesome box. (It was ALOT cheaper too). IMO Craftsman is the best Box for the buck. I have a buddy who has a Matco one and he likes it. Seems like a nice box so far. (Hes only had it a few months)

Dude, go to Sears and test drive them.
The only way you will know is to play with them all.
I have had my 26"x5" 3 section for 10 years and its still like new.
Go for heavy duty units over size if the price starts to get to high. Make sure you can stand in the bottom drawer and it wont tip over :D If they complain about you testing it like that, F- them and go somewhere that believes in their products.

Don't forget to figure in all the little extra accessory items. They do make a difference and add up quick.

I am and always will be a Snap-On mech. I swear by their tools and always have. I've had two roll arounds, my previous box which was a starter and the one I outgrew and the one I have now that I will most likely retire with. I've never, ever, had a problem with a drawer sticking nor have I had a problem rolling them. In aviation we need to stay low, so we don't do top boxes. Low and long is fine but you can't get underneath a wing with a top box. I will say this, if you are using this for your profession, or you are very serious in what you are getting, go with a Snap-On or Mac. Their quality won't be beat no matter what. And make sure you have roller bearing drawers. I probably have $15-$20K in tools of which 90% are SO. Craftsman stuff is ok for the weekend warrior or the guy that does some side work from his house, but from my experience they just don't hold up under daily use. Yeah they warranty their stuff, but who wants to drive to Sears every other weekend to replace tools. Don't get me wrong, I've broken Snap-On and Mac but they COME to you, you don't have to go to them. If you have a reputable dealer whatsoever, he will come to you whenever, not just the day he's scheduled too. Don't get me wrong, and I'm not knocking people who own Craftsman tools, but I have worked with hundreds of mechs throughout my aviation maitenance career and I have never seen a hack mechanic that owned and worked with Snap-On or Mac tools. You can judge alot by looking at a man's toolbox and how seriously they take thier job by the tools they own. HTH

SNAP-ON all they way.

Like jetmechG550 said they can't be beat.I have been in the automotive field over 15 years.When I started out I had the Craftsman box's.Then I got me a Snap-on bow wow what a differance!!! in quality .They are built so well I can stand in the bottom drawer of my box and there is no give and the drawer will still slide with ease.The more you put in the drawer the easier they slide.I have less than $2500 in my box and side box.The total length on my box is 54".You may also want to go with just a bottom box,and can use the top as a work bench.You also can get a Stainless or the Butcher block tops for them to.And the biggest thing They keep there value.My dealer told me when ever I want to get another box he will give me what I payed for it on trade for another box.

Snap-On ='s Quality

Thanks
Stan

Yeah that's another thing, when I traded in my first SO box and side cab, I actually got more than what I paid for it! On my first box I had my own custom top I made similar to the butcher block but I did some custom fitting and coated it in spar varnish. And Stan is 100% correct stating the more weight in the drawers the better they slide.

I agree with 4u2nv Craftsman are really nice for the price. My dad has two of them and hasnt had any problems with them and he has them loaded down with about 2 tons of tools lol

apparrently I got a cheap $4000 one and my dad got a cheap $7000 setup cuz like I said, we both hate our snap ons. I know Id never get another one. I bought mine in late 97 and my dad bought his in early 97, and we both have the same probs. My dad uses his everyday at work (Hes a machinest at a power plant) and I used to use my everyday but got fed up with it and went back to my original craftsman one which I've had alot better luck with. I havnt had to much bad luck with the snap on tools (Besides blue point crap, and snap ons crappy ratchets) but there wrenches and sockets themselves are fine.

If you have a Costco by you, may want to check there as well. My brother bought a stainless steel roller box there. The thing is gorgeous! Lots of drawers that slide very easily and the unit itself is very easy to roll around. I've helped him move twice and one of the easiest things to move was his tool chest! If I can recall the manufacturer, I'll pass it along.

Wow, thanks for all of the replies... I do not want stainless... I have enough trouble keeping my stainless bbq clean, let alone a huge toolbox... I am going to go look around and see what i can find... I will try to find someone who sells snap on and such tools. I'm hoping to talk with my neighbor about this issue (he builds custom race cars), but he is in Mexico for 2 weeks...

Keep the replies coming...

What tools are you putting in it? I love my Kennedy roller, but its geared twards a machinist.

Monkey Wrench said:
If you have a Costco by you, may want to check there as well. My brother bought a stainless steel roller box there. The thing is gorgeous! Lots of drawers that slide very easily and the unit itself is very easy to roll around. I've helped him move twice and one of the easiest things to move was his tool chest! If I can recall the manufacturer, I'll pass it along.

I have the same box, it is very nice. It costs about as much as a comparable craftsman unit but has more bling to it. It is made by CPS and can also be found @ costco.com.

On the other hand, all the shops I work at use Kennedy boxes. They have slimmer drawers but I'm sure you can order ones with more height. IMO unless you are making money with your tools (machinist, mechanic, etc.) you do not need a $3K toolbox. Get the tools first, better box can come later.

Last edited:
I can only speak from partial ignorance as I have never tried a Mac box, but for the money, the high end Craftsman boxes, the ones with the real roller slide drawers, are a real good deal. To get similar in Snap On you end up over 3000 real quick. I know, Snap On may be better made and might last longer, but until RC10 tells us what and how much he is using this for, I think he will get more for his money with Craftsman.

The only thing good about Mac and Snap On is that they will hold their value, but how often do you guys trade these things in? (Jetmech excepted)

Kennedy makes (or used to anyway) some really nice box, they do tend to be a little slimmer in drawer depth but I think they are mainly geared for a machinist. You used to see a lot of the ol' timers in aviation with 'em.

I have a Kennedy Machinist box on top of a Craftsman roller with a Craftsman centerbox that I have been using for 10 years. The Kennedy is 25+ years old. I wouldn't trade any of it for another brand. My Brother-in-law has both Craftsman & the big Snap-On (you can live in it). He likes both and uses both for work & play. Like they said - Try before you buy.

Well, i went to Sears today and looked the Craftsmans over and played with them... I like the Professional Series boxes over the regular... They arent flimsy like the regulars, and the drawers roll a lot smoother. I "tried" to stand in the bottom drawer, but i felt like i was gonna fall on my ass because the drawer roller so smoothly. I don't think i need to look any further, because these are nice, and it is in my budget. I'm looking at the Professional 36" wide 7 drawer rolling unit and the 5 drawer top box ( i think, it is just by memory). Then my parents are going to throw in a 350+ piece Craftsman tool set and a 3/8" and 1/2" air impact with impact sockets... now, all i have to do is wait till christmas... :-/

Yeah, I use the Professional series. Like JetMech and others say, there are better, but when you balance price versus performance and amount of use expected, the Craftsman hold up pretty well.

Enjoy them!

Good choice, best of luck with it. I make my living with my tools (or at least I used to, seems I use the laptop more and more these days) and I'm working on $45 million jets so I tend to buy the very best, besides, I can deduct tools on my taxes cause my employer does not reimburse, however I'm running out of poop to buy.

atta boy .21. Your making a good choice and I can gurantee youll be happy with it. I actually just pulled out my Crap-on (Dont hate me jet..lol) and am gonna clean it up and sell it I think. I think I'm gonna go buy a bigger Craftsman box too. Like I said I got my Craftsman as a hand me down from my dad (Who had it for over 15 years) and I've used it for nearly 10, and it still works like the day it was new. The only prob with it, is its a midsize and I've outgrown it.