To all Hyper 8 port and picco users

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheShagler

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Ok the time has come. I'm going to upgrade my mill. I have been reading and reading and talking to people.... mostly ones that work at hobby town and they all seem to have the IQ of my cat cozmo. I want to know what one I should get.

I hear the picco is bad ass but I've also hurd that it is hard to tune and a bitch to run..... is this true???? I dont know...

The hyper 8 port is the other engine that I want to get. But I hear that you bust your pull start all the time and its a total pig to brake in... yes no???? you tell me.

Then I get word from the moron at Hobby town that the trany on the savage can't handle all the power that a new engine has and I shouldnt go anything bigger then stock...

I want a bad ass engine that has tons of power. Thats going to be capable of driving damn near up a wall and is fast enough to make me want to cream my self.

SO I ask all you people out there that HAS!!! "and has is a must" one of these two engines running in your truck to tell me how its been working for you and why or why not I should go with one over the other.

THANK YOU!!!

Çh®i§tiªñ and Skymax I'm looking to the two of you to give good insite in this matter you both know what your talking about and I trust what you have to say. If you could give me a heads up on your exsperance with your engines that would be wonderful. Things that you like about it and things that you dont... tunning problems and tips braking problems and tips. mind you I've been reading the forms alot but I just want to make sure I got it all before I go buy something.

Love the power, yes tuning is a bear, but I'm patient as can be with mills (yea right! I still am missing the hair I pulled out!!)

The power is insane, backflips and all.... I havent put more then 12 tanks on my savage with the new mill. So the long term effects on the tranny and driveline are unknown with me. So far so good.

This is all about the PIcco .26. I dont know about the Hyper.

Okay, you asked for information. I'll give you information.

The Picco .26 Outlaw: The information I have is hearsay, but Christian can confirm or deny it as he sees fit. My source of information is a quality hobby shop here in Hampton Roads, and the guys who tune the engines for race day.

They all like the Outlaw, but they have (and this is all of them to a one) said that the engine is basically a straight bore .26. They claimed that it had nothing significant in the way of a port job on either the cylinder or the sleeve. Their opinion of it was that it works well enough out of the box, but once they took it apart and gave it a decent port job (no specifics on what a decent port job is)...IT REALLY ROCKED. They said that the first one that they ported did the following:
1. It flipped the truck immediately.
2. Unfortunately, they did not have a failsafe on it and the thing went WOT upon flipping.
3. The engine had so much power going through it that it ended up ripping itself off of the engine plate (mounts and all).

They had pictures of the damage. So, to me that means that the engine is adequate out of the box, but can really turn into a freakin' monster with a port job.

Ofna Hyper .21 8-Port: This engine I do have. It was the first upgrade to my Savage. I didn't even break in the NitroStar 21BB that came with the Savage. I just removed it and put the in the Hyper.

My experience with it as far as break in can be found in these two threads:
https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3694
https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3783
https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3858

After the break in and tuning sessions, this engine is a monster in its own right. Yes, I have broken the pull start, but Ofna will replace it free of charge if you have the original receipt for the engine. I have a new pull start as a spare and have doen a few field repairs on the one I have (minor pain in the ass).

So what do I think of this engine? I think it is great. I would highly recommend getting it. Would I rank it over the Outlaw? I don't own one; so I can not speak on its performance other than to give you the report above.

In the end, it is up to your wallet and your preference.

I have both 8port,.26 I run the .26 becouse it's so much faster put a 18th clutch bell and hold on. At my track I can run down most 1/8 buggies

robby do you have any problems tunning your .26???