TLT crawlers

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMaxxin

SLAP YA MAMA
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
TLT crawlers 56k warning

I had decide to get a pair of TLTs and turn them into crawlers. My 6 yr old son aways wants a truck like mine so I have decided to build two of them that look alike. Running gear will be the big difference. Here is what I have planned.
One will have independent 4ws, lathe motor, LPR esc, associated maxx shocks, pede wheels with mashers. A pede tranny with sliders will come later.

The other will have 4ws(not independent) a Johnson motor, traxxas xl1 esc, stock maxx shocks, pede wheels and redesigned pede tires. This will be my sons, it might take a while to complete this one because he wants to try and assemble it himself (insert proud papa smiley here) will a little help of course.

I bought one used and assembled (mine) and the other will come from Ultimate Hobbies. I also made an order from tower for everything needed to stretch them. The first pic is what I started with the, second is after both axles and center diff was locked, and all links and dogbones were removed and ready for the longer ones. I should get the other truck and all the parts later this week. I'll add info and pics as I progress.

stock1cn.jpg

apart0ra.jpg

Last edited:
here are a couple of mine....
fjds1067to.jpg

fjds0691hp.jpg

dsc025297ov.jpg

dsc025285yt.jpg

Any questions feel free to ask!

Nice TLTs. Thanks for offering to help, if I have any trouble I'll be sure to ask.

I just finished swapping the 3rd channel botton to a 3 position toggle switch on my radio for independent rear steering and it works great!!!!! This is the first time I do it so I'm happy it worked, and it was very easy. Had a little trouble closing the case because of the size of the switch but I really wanted the spring loaded switch that way as soon as I let go of it the servo centers.....Just one less thing to think about while driving. I'll get pics tomorrow. :smoke:

Here 's the progress on mine so far. Longer, slower, and can strech a little better. There is also a pic of the body thats going on my sons truck.

tlt9pg.jpg

artic4rd.jpg

3ch8zq.jpg

flames1ip.jpg

badass5rb.jpg

NCNitro said:
Looking good so far, nice pics too. Hey, any chance you have the wiring diagram for rewiring the tq3?

Here is the link I got the info from. Very easy to do, just make sure the switch you use is a 3 position switch...on off on. Also for the switch size does matter,...If it's to big you won't be able to put it back together. I actually forgot to put the resistors but it works great without them so far. If I start having trouble I'll open it back up and put them.

http://www.clodtalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=3222

This is my sons truck complete

aaaaaa6pi.jpg

Great info bro... And great job on the crawlers. I have been slowly buying all the little parts I need, & will be making a decision on what chassis to run, hopefully soon.

Just a tip, where the anyenna comes out of the body put a little pice of fuel tubing on there to keep it from geting messe dup.

Looks great!

Thanks guys! Now I can't wait to get mine done...Still waiting on the tires, and need to paint the body. I have also started looking into putting my pede tranny in there.

ImBroken, have you considered the stick chassis? Unbelievable crawling ability.

on the controller I used two momentary buttons from radioshack. Very simple took about 5 minutes. But I recently traded my tlt for a emaxx, wanted something new. But I will be building a clod in the next few months if the funds allow.

SMaxxin said:
ImBroken, have you considered the stick chassis? Unbelievable crawling ability.

I've seen it, and it looks like a sick crawler chassis.. I'm looking for more of a realistic chassis with some beef to it.. NCNitro & I have been debating back & forth on these two monsters..

GMade Spider
shop_spider240.jpg

INERBEECREW I-Rock
irock-1.jpg

Both are truly insane Crawler chassis, and carry a big price tag..

Last edited:
Either would make a great crawler but I'll also go with the I Rock just because I rather the way it looks LOL.

Went to the beach this weekend and my son put the TLT through a little workout. It did great! Naturally I forgot the camera but the truck crawls descent but it was awesome on the sand and dirt hills. It needs to be a little wider for crawling, I see some ofna wheels in the future.

Finally got mine finished until I get a chassis for the pede tranny. The paint job sucks on this one but the truck works great! :cheers:

ttt3vy.jpg

xxx9gi.jpg

lll3dm.jpg

Back