Tiger drive

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bkyd Basher

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Hey guys, I just put a tiger drive on my truck and it slipped from day one! So before I went out for the second time I cleaned the bearing up and it worked for one start then slipped again. Any ideas whats up with it or just a junk bearing/setup? Thanks.

ya that's what I was thinking. The only thing I noticed was with the gear all the way on the bearing hung over the starter shaft just a little, so I pushed the bearing down so it was even with the starter shaft.. Sound like it might help? it hung over like an 1/8th inch. And are there any of u guys using the tiger drive?

I hate rotor starts.. All about the pull

ya that's what I was thinking. The only thing I noticed was with the gear all the way on the bearing hung over the starter shaft just a little, so I pushed the bearing down so it was even with the starter shaft.. Sound like it might help? it hung over like an 1/8th inch. And are there any of u guys using the tiger drive?

I use TG on my mine & like it a lot, these my third engine with the same TG. Yes, I've found out that you have to push OB flush to the gear starter hole so that the OB grabs more on the shaft. Just make sure you use the shims that came with the TG, & a little grease then seal with silicone. These thing is awesome, specially when I do the after run procedure. Hope these helps bud, keep us update.

tg 3.jpg

tg 4.jpg

tg 1.jpg

tg 2.jpg

I had the same issue and contacted sullivan products and they sent me two new bearings. Havnt had the problem again yet. Mine actually stopped grabbing unless it spun backwards. Crazy but it happened and the customer service was great.

Which shim are u referring to? The thin copper piece is all I got with mine. And I did send them an email so I will see what they say. I also read somewhere about using a liquid retainer to keep the bearing in place.

Which shim are u referring to? The thin copper piece is all I got with mine. And I did send them an email so I will see what they say. I also read somewhere about using a liquid retainer to keep the bearing in place.

Yes that would be the one i was referring to, OB may need to be replaced if it does it again. Also double check if OB is on the starter gear in the right direction, & just like any parts, OB can a factory defect.

---------- Post added at 1:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:50 PM ----------

Not sure what rpm your starter has, my drill has a 1200 rpm & it kicks the engine just enough revolution to fire it up. I'll be up greading to a faster rpm tho, i just think 1200 rpm is a bit slow for a starter kicks.

well I tried a CEN rotostart but didn't seem to have enough power unless the battery was completely charged. And the owb is in the right direction cause it works for a time or two than craps out. I am now using my dewalt drill with the clutch set low.

well I tried a CEN rotostart but didn't seem to have enough power unless the battery was completely charged. And the owb is in the right direction cause it works for a time or two than craps out. I am now using my dewalt drill with the clutch set low.

Is the ob the same ones you had? did you use a press when pushing down the OB further on the gear starter on the TD? one pin in OB is all it takes to screw up the other pins (roller bearing) that are in the OB, specially on a one way bearing. If you had to pound the OB in the gear starter, you may have bent one of the pins, a table vise is best to use to slowly press the OB into the gear starter. Use a socket & a 1/2 inch steel dowel & put in the vise, slowly press it. Trust me,ones you have the TD installed, you will never go back to pull nor box as starter (unless you race with a pit crew) As I mentioned above, these is my 3rd engine but still using the same TD. Also I would recommend using a ball end hex drive for angles during start up.

well just a quick update on the tiger drive. Took it off and threw it as far as I possibly could! after a new owb it seized up and locked on to the starter shaft and I had to take the backplate off to get it off the shaft. I'm all done with it and goin to a pullstart!

Sorry you did not have no luck with the TD bro, I got busy at work @ our hunting property, after my last post on your thread. Sorry or I could have gotten more info from you about, which TD you purchased & more info on the engine. I noticed you are using the PICO .26 Max. If I remember correctly, the tech at my LHS told me, Pico & 3.3 engine has a different fit & they both use two different kind of TD to fit it. That's probably one of the reason your OWB is slipping & ended up freezing up. Again so sorry, I wish I could have kept up with your thread & try to help as much as I could, I was out of town getting my place for upcoming Bow Hunting Season.