Throttle Return Spring

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big kal

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
On my X-Terminator buggy I run a Venom failsafe and haven't had any problems with it. Now, I want to run a TRS for extra insurance, but don't exactly know where to mount it and what tension spring is required. When I first got the buggy it had a TRS on it but it broke the first time I ran it. I don't even know what happened. Does anyone have any suggestions?

i know nothing about the XTM buggy, sorry. But regarding the tension - it has to be strong enough so that when u move the sevo while it is off, the spring can pull the servo back to neutral. u can hook the spring from the carb linkage to anywhere on the car that is stable.

You may also hook the spring to the servo horn and to a secure location on the other end.

As stated above the spring must be strong enough to return the throttle and or servo to the idle position.

Just make sure the tension isn't to strong or else the servo will have a hard time opening the throttle and will get stressed.

In turn, you servo must also be of a good enough quality to be able to overcome the spring tension without ending up stripping the gears. It takes a fair amount of tension to pull back a servo that has no power to it.

You can find good spring of all various sizes at a local auto store, i did that on my maxx, and it works great, and i dont need a heavy failsafe, just a light spring.

Originally posted by LarryA
In turn, you servo must also be of a good enough quality to be able to overcome the spring tension without ending up stripping the gears. It takes a fair amount of tension to pull back a servo that has no power to it.

That's what I'm worried about. Right now I have Hitec servos and so far they've worked fine. I'll test out if they can hold up to spring tension.

Like this? :)
xtm_2.jpg

This not the TRS.........this is manifold spring.:trout:

Look more closely. The top spring is a manifold spring, and the bottom spring is a throttle return spring. Nice try.

Kuma nice looking engine. I like the location of the return spring. Does it work well from that spot?

Where r the spring?? Still can't find it.:winnar:

yes, i'm digging in the thread graveyard, but i'm also doing my part and searching prior to asking my questions.

anyway, i have my throttle return spring sitting in my toolbox. i know it's not doing me much good there, but I'm at a loss as to how i'm supposed to make it work.

does anyone have a pic of a throttle return spring on a 1/8 scale buggy? i need ideas for placement. Eddy's idea to attach one end directly to the servo horn is a great idea, but where do you attach the other one. Kuma has a pic above, but, no offense, i don't like the placement. i feel the spring should run parallel to the motion of the throttle and not perpendicular.

second question: the spring has to be strong enough to pull the servo back if the power should go out. if it's too strong, however, the servo can't open the throttle. should i have a weak S3003 type servo on my throttle so it's easy for the return spring to pull it or should I have a strong servo that has enough power to overcome the spring? my current throttle/brake servo is the JR 85oz metal gear racing servo (comes with JR XS3).

thanks guys,
Robert

In the photo above it looks like he has a rotary carb so the spring would be in parallel to the throttle travel.

Since breaking my front right suspension on my Inferno I got a throttle return spring on my buggy as well (or atleast I'm in the same boat you are Rob--its in my tool box :hehe: )

Yes you maye have to go to a high tourque server on the throttle as well to over come the pull of the spring.....better safe than sorry. If I had a return spring on my buggy a week or so ago I would still be running it. Right now its siting in a box awaiting parts.......grrrr

doh it is a rotary carb! :eek:pps: anyone out there have a TRS setup on a slide carb that I can check out? I saw a pic on Christian's savage, but it was just too hard to make out. If I could hook the spring to the mill, it would be perfect.

I have one picture of this TRS but I can't attach the pic at this thread. email me to request for TRS pic. I send it to u by email. [email protected]

Hey TKHOO can you send me a pic as well? I need to install one on my TMAXX?

Back