Thinking about buying an airbrush kit.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarnFabRC

RCTalk Talkaholic
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
I’m thinking about getting an airbrush kit. Is there anything I should be looking for specifically? Any particular brand that’s a standout from the rest? Or can I just get an Amazon set and be good to go? I’m not trying to spend a fortune but I am typically of the “buy once, cry once” mindset so it doesn’t have to be the cheapest option on the market.

Post up some links!

Iwata eclipse 👍

I have one from harbor freight; it came with a compressor and I use it a lot to blow off my truck after a run. I haven’t used to paint yet and I need a proper air valve for cleaning, but I think it’s pretty worthwhile to me.

Wow that’s pricey! Wasn’t expecting that when I looked it up.

This is in a better price range. When looking at the description it looks like it can be either siphon feed or gravity feed. Is that correct?

This particular model is a syphon feed, I don't like the cups on top because I always seem to spill them. That's just my personal preference. Badger makes a bunch of different models, I have been using them since the 80's. do a search and see which model suits your particular needs the best.

Iwata, if you want the bees knees, or Badger is also good and a little more budget friendly. Personally I would not recommend cheap airbrushes. Just like I wouldnt recommend cheap paint brushes. Quality make a big difference here.

Also Id start with a .5mm and if you really get in to airbrushing then eventually Id also get a .3mm airbrush.

Siphon feed vs Gravity feed doesn't really matter although I tend to prefer Gravity feed just because the cups are usually smaller and easier to work with especially if you're changing colors frequently.

Iwata, if you want the bees knees, or Badger is also good and a little more budget friendly. Personally I would not recommend cheap airbrushes. Just like I wouldnt recommend cheap paint brushes. Quality make a big difference here.

Also Id start with a .5mm and if you really get in to airbrushing then eventually Id also get a .3mm airbrush.

Siphon feed vs Gravity feed doesn't really matter although I tend to prefer Gravity feed just because the cups are usually smaller and easier to work with especially if you're changing colors frequently.
Good tips thank you.

Badger, Paashe, and Iwata seem to be the more popular. The hardest decision I had was gravity or siphon.

If you have an air compressor, buy an air trap and regulator and use that.

I have a Paashe vl series, $100 20 years ago.

I use Master brand airbrushes from Amazon/ebay. Not the greatest by far, but for what I do they work fine. If I were to buy a nice one, I would definitely get an Iwata. But I agree with those above. Paasche, Iwata, and Badger all have quality airbrushed. Or if you want to get nuts, check out some of the ones offered on www.spraygunner.com, which is also where I buy all my Createx paints. Great people too if you want some professional advice.

If you need a compressor as well, I also have a Master brand compressor. I think I got it for like $65. It has been working great for 7 years, is whisper quiet, and gets the job done. But I would recommend getting a compressor with a tank.

This was painted with my el-cheapo Master brand brushes.
20211225_055026.jpg

20211225_055035.jpg

20211225_055101.jpg

20211227_142241.jpg

Last edited:
Forgot about Paashe. Never had one but I hear they are good too.

+1 on getting moisture trap if using a regular compressor.

WF disagrees with me and says a .3mm is better to start and he dis make a valid point when we were talking about it so take that advise with a grain of salt. The .5mm will be better at doing large areas and the .3mm is better for finer detail so I guess use that to determine which size you want to start with.

Last edited:
I too am looking to get an airbrush and you all have made a lot of good suggestions. I'll likely go with a badger from one of the sites linked above. I wanted to get some paint as well and I noticed that they show to be water-based acrylic urethane. Water based? Is this the norm?

I too am looking to get an airbrush and you all have made a lot of good suggestions. I'll likely go with a badger from one of the sites linked above. I wanted to get some paint as well and I noticed that they show to be water-based acrylic urethane. Water based? Is this the norm?
Yeah, but you can get laquer based airbrush paints as well. Check out Spaz Stix. They make some awesome colors. I use Createx as well which is water based.

I use Master brand airbrushes from Amazon/ebay. Not the greatest by far, but for what I do they work fine. If I were to buy a nice one, I would definitely get an Iwata. But I agree with those above. Paasche, Iwata, and Badger all have quality airbrushed. Or if you want to get nuts, check out some of the ones offered on www.spraygunner.com, which is also where I buy all my Createx paints. Great people too if you want some professional advice.

If you need a compressor as well, I also have a Master brand compressor. I think I got it for like $65. It has been working great for 7 years, is whisper quiet, and gets the job done. But I would recommend getting a compressor with a tank.

This was painted with my el-cheapo Master brand brushes.
View attachment 167704
View attachment 167705
View attachment 167706
View attachment 167707
Nice job! I am not into flames but that looks cool.

So if I use water based paint, will getting it wet damage the paint? Do I need to seal it with something? Which is a better option for RC bodies?

I have used Spaz Stix rattle cans in the past. They do have some really cool color options.

Sorry for the dumb questions, I'm very mechanically inclined, but painting is not my strong point. Just tired of paying $12 a can (tiny cans at that) for rattle can paint.

So if I use water based paint, will getting it wet damage the paint? Do I need to seal it with something? Which is a better option for RC bodies?

I have used Spaz Stix rattle cans in the past. They do have some really cool color options.

Sorry for the dumb questions, I'm very mechanically inclined, but painting is not my strong point. Just tired of paying $12 a can (tiny cans at that) for rattle can paint.
Parma Faskolor is a water based paint designed for lexan. I seal my Createx paints with Parma Faskolor white, since Createx is a general use paint. But even so, I have never had a problem with Createx adhering to the bodies.

I’ve used Createx paints with good results as well

I am thinking of stepping into the airbrush realm, so all of this is great info. Thanks for all the suggestions from everyone and thanks to the OP for sparking this conversation

Back