The Woodworking Thread

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One problem I have is getting decent material. Nothing but big box left around here with the twisted green boards.
My dad knew a lot of farmers that were always clearing trees. We'd go cut down trees for them, and whenever we found Walnut, Maple, Cherry, or a decent Oak, we'd cut it down into 12' lengths, or whatever was straight. The local sawmill would trade dad some of the wood to saw it into lumber for him. We'd air dry it. We always had a stack of nice stuff to play with.

I actually found my saw... OK it's the Royobi BT300, I have the Craftsman version. You can see the sliding table, which apparently is a thing. But there is no miter slot, which is so very useful.

Now that I know what it is, I found they do make a dual miter slot for that platform, but it's like ~$100 on ebay. I'm thinking about just making my own. The question is what is the "standard". Do people use T-slot or U-channel and what width?

I'd like to be able to use things like feather boards which I assume would lock into a T-slot.

I made this coffee table back when I was in high school. Sheoak with jarrah strip's. No nails or screws. I made it solid, very solid. Its heavy and will last forever. Still no cracks or warping. I was very proud of it. Still am.

1000006169.jpg

Last edited:
Back