The Woodworking Thread

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not a big wood guy
But looking to make bigger ramps for my 10th scales for the spring. Most likely out of wood and turf.
I built ramps for the mini track out of cardboard for mini cars.
PXL_20240127_214119065.jpg

Here is some of my popsicle stick builds.
Most important tip of all, be careful sanding the wood, it's hard to replace mistakes.
The Semi tractor on the left won $500 worth of Ryobi tools in a contest.

IMG_1268.JPG

I'm not a big wood guy
But looking to make bigger ramps for my 10th scales for the spring. Most likely out of wood and turf.
I built ramps for the mini track out of cardboard for mini cars.
View attachment 180546
I can disguise them as wood right? 😅
Here is some of my popsicle stick builds.
Most important tip of all, be careful sanding the wood, it's hard to replace mistakes.
The Semi tractor on the left won $500 worth of Ryobi tools in a contest.

View attachment 180547
I forgot popcycle sticks were wood for a second.

What kind of things are you looking to make? I grew up in a wood shop and have used simple hand tools all the way up to million dollar CNC routers. This is not the fanciest thing I ever built, but I am probably the most proud of this because it's still there, 32 years later, and it's on the National Register of Historic Places.

I made this door, pretty much the entire thing except for the main framework. I did all the mortise work to create the doors and panels, made the planks for the panels, assembled and glued the doors and panels, stained it, and helped 2 other guys install it. We also made all the other doors and windows. I was 22 when I made this.
Photo215676.jpg

9726155_109911755421.jpg

Photo215678.jpg

Last edited:
I know I'm not the only one that participates in this, so post up please. I am super new to all of this, so any tips, criticism, etc, is very welcomed.

Let's see what you've built!!
Talking carving, scrolling, wood furniture, cabinets?

Dude, so is yours. I can't imagine how much work those took.
Thanks man, many, many hours.
It's just one of those things that need to be stepped away from for a year or two.
I remember at one point I couldn't get enough of it and was building one per week.
I've sold a lot of them.

Thanks man, many, many hours.
It's just one of those things that need to be stepped away from for a year or two.
I remember at one point I couldn't get enough of it and was building one per week.
I've sold a lot of them.
I used to be like that with dioramas. I wish I still had some of them, but they were sold as well.

@HPIguy do you have a bandsaw? Jig saws will do, but a bandsaw and tablesaw were our most used tools in my dad's shop. After that, a standalone 14" disc sander with a 6" belt sander was used quite a bit. Great for vlesning up edges. Router tables come in handy when you graduate to doing mouldings and such. You'd be surprised how easy it is to make a really fancy fireplace mantle using a couple flat boards and crown moulding.

I agree, I have a jig saw, bandsaw, table saw, stand alone sander, osculating drum sander, lathe, surface planer, joiner and several hand tools.

Not much of a wood builder. Give me plywood and 2x4s though and I can make almost anything! 😂 I did build a gun rack for my airgun collection, the bar at our old house and took a stick I found camping one time and made a walking stick with the wood burner. 🤷‍♂️😁✌️
20190212_154432.jpg
20190419_162812.jpg
20181124_184603.jpg
20181124_184652.jpg
20181124_184655.jpg
20181124_184629.jpg
20181124_184721.jpg
20141231_183943.jpg

Eh I just build simple things... Built 2 storage shelves for the garage. Built a couple shelves for the wall. Have made a half dozen cutting boards after buying pre cut strips. In the process of building shelves and mounting to brackets for hallway closet. I took a woodworking class in High School... everything else I just learned off YouTube.

Its a nice little thing to do. I still need to work on my cuts with the circ saw but it works for the time being.

Not mine but my parents. They haven't done it in 10 years. My mom did the scroll work, my pops does everything else and the finishing. He bought another lathe, a laguna.

My skill is I have a table saw and can still count to 10.

Super useful, but it's bulky to move around and doesn't have a miter slot. It's an odd one and has a "sled". I mostly work on smaller bits and it could easily be done on a small CNC. Someday. . .

Wood love to have the space and time to do more. One problem I have is getting decent material. Nothing but big box left around here with the twisted green boards.

Back