TeknoRC Revo Brushless Conversion

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wow,thats pretty cool. I've never seen anything like that,should really help outa the hole i would think.

hats off to you rob. great project. something i could never do though. i love the smell of nitro fuel to much hehe =]

The last of the parts pics.

parts_4.jpg

parts_5.jpg

Brick for a battery...
brick.jpg

Front and rear diffs have been rebuilt using the Maximizer cups and RRP gears. Center diff has been installed in the tranny. Assembly back onto the chassis is completed with the MIP shiny center CVD's and Traxxas CVD's on the corners.

Here are some install pics. I need to pick up some stiffer springs and shock oil since this will be raced on-road before I install the shocks.

motor_install_2.jpg

motor_install_1.jpg

esc_install_1.jpg

top_install.jpg

is that a cent. clutch on the electric motor? interesting.. please explain..

is that a cent. clutch on the electric motor? interesting.. please explain..

The motor has a 5mm shaft which enables it to use Tekno's Electi-Clutch adapter so you can use the Revo's flywheel and clutchbell.

The adapter is in the middle of this pic.

tekno.jpg

Since I am using the adapter, I can't use the motor for braking which is the reason I need the brake servo still. A Y-splitter is used for the servo and esc to work together.

Thanks for the updates and the pics Rob. I'm just getting into electrics. I bought two Rustlers and new motors for them and ESC's, batts, suspension parts, that kinda stuff so I can rebuild them, and I'm going to get T4 in a few days. Once I do the motor swaps and get the hang of things, I'm going to do a NTB Revo conversion, so I've really been enjoying watching you starting the process.

It has been a pretty simple build.

Both the diffs were leaking so they needed re-building anyway.

I am a little concerned about the 2-speed in the tranny. In first gear I suspect the motor will have way too much torque and flip the rig on it's lid. I cranked down on the adjustment screw so it will hopefully be engaged in 2nd gear only. If not, I will have to take the tranny out and come with something that will lock the gears in 2nd.

Nice conversion, Rob. I really like the Maximizer Bead-locks and I'm willing to bet that their diff cups are as good. Can't wait to hear how it does when you run it

I charged up the 3S 8000 and took this out yesterday for testing.

I still need to install the rear brake kit, but I was anxious to see what this can do as is.

The clutch makes a huge difference in controlling the instant torque a brushless motor offers. It still takes a little throttle control to keep it from doing a wheelie, but at list it doesn’t flip onto its lid on the start. At some point I plan on just going to a pinion gear and see how it is.

All I can say regarding the performance is….holy crap. This setup puts my brushless emaxx gorillamaxx conversion using Novak’s 4400 system using (2) 2S 8000’s packs to shame. At one point I went by at about ½ throttle and punched it. The front end immediately lifted and it flipped onto its top. Luckily I had put the body on since it skidded for quite a long time. Braking sucks since I only have front brakes, but I will fix that shortly.

I am very happy with this conversion and can’t wait to race it against Ed’s brushless Revo gorillamaxx conversion.

I charged up the 3S 8000 and took this out yesterday for testing.

I still need to install the rear brake kit, but I was anxious to see what this can do as is.

The clutch makes a huge difference in controlling the instant torque a brushless motor offers. It still takes a little throttle control to keep it from doing a wheelie, but at list it doesn’t flip onto its lid on the start. At some point I plan on just going to a pinion gear and see how it is.

All I can say regarding the performance is….holy crap. This setup puts my brushless emaxx gorillamaxx conversion using Novak’s 4400 system using (2) 2S 8000’s packs to shame. At one point I went by at about ½ throttle and punched it. The front end immediately lifted and it flipped onto its top. Luckily I had put the body on since it skidded for quite a long time. Braking sucks since I only have front brakes, but I will fix that shortly.

I am very happy with this conversion and can’t wait to race it against Ed’s brushless Revo gorillamaxx conversion.

Hells yea! That's what I was wanting to hear. I'm working on the same conversion now.

You know Rob,
I'm still waiting to see this setup. Its like a Unicorn. See photos and hear all about the magical powers but NEVER get to see one in real life.

Someone needs to be able to keep up with me :D

Ah.

Just the motivation I was looking for to get that rear brake installed and wrap this project up.

Have either of you guys run a monster truck with a carbon fiber chassis?

I haven't.

I am pretty sure Ed hasn't either.

I'm about to rebuild my diffs in my revo. Do you feel the diff cups really help. I'm thinking about getting some alloy ones just dont know if there worth it. By the way, Nice build man!

I went ahead and put the Maximizers in because I had the diffs apart and they really weren't that expensive.

I did not want to find out the hard way that the stockers can't take the brushless motor.

I used them as well. Never had any issues without them in the past but the BL system is powerful and I didnt want to take any chances.

My .26 is really tearing stuff apart and anything stronger is better lol. So far I have blown a center diff and a rear. I might have to spring for these. Thanks guys.

Back