T-Maxx Transmission Problems!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

X_Gamer7

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I just got done installing a forward only conversion for my T-Maxx transmission. To start things off let me say that when I roll the truck forward, the spur does not move. It spins freely in the counterclockwise direction. When I pull the truck backwards, the spur spins in a clockwise direction. Now today I finally got my tigerdrive in so that I could start this baby up for the first time in almost a year. Well, as I turn over the engine, it really does want to start. I mean the engine is to the point where it would start, but it can't because something is stopping it from starting. When I look at it, the spur gear is really trying to spin clockwise, but it keeps sort of going back and forth really fast like it can't. I will post a video soon to help explain it more in detail, but if someone knows what the problem is off hand, help would be greatly appreciated!
thanks

it sounds like somthing is stuck in the tranny, take it apart and see if their is somthing in it.

ok nevermind, I found the problem but I still need help. It is the glow starter... I lost the charger for it so I stripped the wires from a charger and I have the positive and negative ends charging the battery. Now for the problem, whenever I insert a glow plug into the end of it, the contact will move backwards up into the metal tube, so the contact will not touch the end of the glow plug when I try to lock it on. Are there any "cheap" methods of getting the coils on the plug to heat up other than a glow igniter?
thanks

The positive contact has to slide up in inorder for the ignitor to "snap" on. Sound like you don't have the spring in the tube of the igniter. Glow starters start at about 9 bucks, it does'nt get much cheaper then that.

well you can also take 2 alligator clips and conect it to the glow plug and then just hood up a c battery to it and it should work the same

SuperMaxx83 said:
well you can also take 2 alligator clips and conect it to the glow plug and then just hood up a c battery to it and it should work the same

If you have to do that you need another hobby.

As he stated, he got a Tiger drive, therefor he uses a drill. Yeah, i would just go buy a Glow-ignitor and get back up and workin...

bashaholic i was stated if he wanted to get it started he could use that set up if it was an emergency for a short time just my cents

kinda what I meant too, just using the ez start to heat the plug temporarily

SuperMaxx83 said:
bashaholic i was stated if he wanted to get it started he could use that set up if it was an emergency for a short time just my cents

Yeah, that came out a little more sarcastic than I had planned

Actually, the aligater clip thing isn't that bad of an idea! One clip on the glow plug tip and one on the engine head... Just use an insulated clip so it doesn't touch the inside of the head.

i have recently added a forward only gear conversion from traxxas in my tmaxx for some reason now my rear axle turns backward and front forward any ideas? thanks Don

The out put shaft for the front and rear drive shafts is a common shaft and they can't turn in oposite dirrections. Did you have a diff out? If so it may be installed wrong.

A little off the subject but I need help please.
I have a problem with tmaxx 3.3 . I have a brand new truck that has not been started yet. I hook the ez start up and it starts to move the motor but won't, then stops trying completely. I bought a new battery and that does the same thing. I also losend the glow plug to release the pressure and nothing. also each time I turn the flywheel a little by hand and use the ez start it turns alittle then stops. I have to keep moving the flywheel for it to do anything. Is anyone out here I want to get this started. It is the second one in a row. I just took the other one back it wouldn't start (atleast it turned over) Signed " no luck lately"

just an idea, try heating up the cooling head with a hair dryer before starting, it may allow the piston sleeve to expand a little.