T-Maxx 3.3 (Noob With Questions)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mudlife

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hey all,

I am new as you can see, I look forward to learning alot from you all. I am pretty new to nitro, not to mechanics though.

I had a Savage 4.6 with a K5.9 Big Block I recently traded for a T-Maxx 3.3, And a Ofna Hyper 7 Buggy. I definatly came out better being he gave up all spare parts and both RX/TX for both vehicles.

On to my questions/issues.

T-Maxx was way out of tune, he told me this prior to trading, not a big deal to me as I plan on a overhaul any ways. I have been down with a torn rotator cuff in my left arm and haven't touched the truck until today (traded 3 weeks ago)

Installed new glow plug, (igniter light on ez start did not light, so I used my Hot Shot 2 igniter). Set HSN/LSN to stock, truck did not start until it was waaay rich, upon starting I noticed it pushing fuel out of the head (as if a blown head gasket). It actually idled drove it around the yard for about 10 mins, brought it back, no fuel coming out of the head while running. It was rich for sure but actually pulled a wheelie.

I am going to order a new 3.3 engine soon (unless there is a better option for $120 shipped). My question is where should I start on a repair to this engine? The truck has good compression as I can see.

If this were a truck it would be a head gasket, does this need a new head button? Should I do a complete rebuild? Where should I start?

I will be getting a new motor but why trash this one when I could rebuild and hold as a spare?

Second question truck is stock, only mods to it is aluminum bulkhead in the front end. I have some money in paypal, what should I upgrade first?

I have the Traxxas Link 2.4 4-Channel reciever so I am happy with that. I was considering maybe a hi torque steering servo. I just want some insight from the T-maxx guys. Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

P/S How you yall feel about the Buku Clutch? Anyone use it?

Last edited:
You could try poppin the head off, flip the gasket over and tighten it back down evenly. The dynamite .19 is a better option than the 3.3. More reliable and similar performance. I seal any and every nitro engine before doing anything. Read tuning tips and flow chart in the nitro forum. Loaded with info.

Metalhead has some solid points. If you have fuel coming from the head than you have loose bolts. IMO you should reseal everything utilizing a high temp RTV. I use copper but any quality RTV will do. Seal around the backplate, carb neck and exhaust. Double check all of your bolts and retighten with blue loctite.

Aside from that Dynamite is a good mfr for motors. I recently put an O.S. CR-V in my 2.5 and it is a completely different truck and really came to life. All of your stock components can be used as well (flywheel, clutch, clutchbell,exhaust, etc...) and it only ran me $150. Other upgrades to consider would be RPM suspension components. Excellent quality and free replacement if you should break them. Possibly look into the Powerstroke shocks as well. Hard to find now a days but excellent shocks for the Maxx.