Support Local!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidB1126

Team Bomb Pop
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
  4. Scale Builder
FB_IMG_1710460813019.jpg

Unfortunately, in this day and age, hobby shop owners really have to be able to sell online as well.
By me, there's Hobby Etc who have had a successful brick and mortar store and thriving online business for nearly 40 years! What's unique about them is that they only deal with cars and car parts. There are the occasional Pro Boats and Traxxas rc boats.

I honestly just can't with my local HS. The owner is not my favorite person to deal with so I just order online.
understandable.
well if he has to shut down in the near future he will see why atleast
Unfortunately, in this day and age, hobby shop owners really have to be able to sell online as well.
By me, there's Hobby Etc who have had a successful brick and mortar store and thriving online business for nearly 40 years! What's unique about them is that they only deal with cars and car parts. There are the occasional Pro Boats and Traxxas rc boats.
I mean if its a track and hobby shop, you should be alright to survive. Local track now is indoor dirt offroad, mini z and fully stocked shop. she gets shipments weekly. My old old track and hs, he had to close the track portion, and move the hobby shop part down the road to his computer shop. He rarely gets people in buying stuff because he closed up the track (due to high rent)

the other shop 20 minutes north, is a chain store. They mostly stock basher brands and air planes so I don't really go there much as they really don't have what I need/want.

And then the old, old, old hobby shop/track, my uncle used to help run it back when, for a couple months. They closed the hobby shop and offroad part. Now its just a onroad track (indoor) open on saturdays only. And its "presented by Awsomematixs")

I honestly just can't with my local HS. The owner is not my favorite person to deal with so I just order online.
Honestly, I often don't like going into a small business because 1) I often feel like I'm being watched 2) I always feel guilty when I don't buy something.

Yea, if its a chain store, Yea not the greatest. But if its a family owned one, should be alot better experience. From mine atleast.

I like the idea of buying local but non-Traxxas parts (if in stock) take 4-8 weeks for delivery. My Arrma battery straps took two months to get. My local Hobbytown is good for what they have on the shelf, but for everything else if you want it before midsummer you have to get it on line. Arrma a-arms from Hobbytown online 3 days to my door, from Hobbytown Bellingham 6-8 weeks. I assume they do this to discourage us from buying local so they don't have to share their profits with their local shops.

Honestly, I often don't like going into a small business because 1) I often feel like I'm being watched 2) I always feel guilty when I don't buy something.
truth. I went into a store that had a track a couple days ago and wanted to run on the track. I couldn't cuz i only have a 3S LiPo ATM. I used his tools to fix my car real quick. Had my younger bro not bought a set of shocks it would've been a very awkward experence.

Yea, if its a chain store, Yea not the greatest. But if its a family owned one, should be alot better experience. From mine atleast.
My experience has mostly been just the opposite.
Although a couple of years ago, I drove nearly 2hr to visit RC Excitement. They are well known in my region since they have the best tracks and racing program. They have a large store and the owner's son, about 17, came up to see if I needed help. He was super friendly and we talked for a little bit. The place was really busy, and I was happy to see nice people doing well.

I just saw some of my race buddies were at (now) local track doing some fun club racing. It was a pot of gold race. I miss having a place closer, going almost every week to just have fun club racing with my buddies. Sad that I can't do that anymore. (As that local carpet track they were at today, their season is ending next week, and they only do carpet, only 1 or 2 of them does dirt tracks) And also miss some carpet action too.

The thing is, with my parents, if a track is an hour+ away, its like a whole day thing, and we can only go so often. I know the local racers at my local indoor dirt track, but not on a personal level.

And also, the closing up of the old local carpet tracks, I feel like that caused my uncle to get out of the hobby. But he still keeps his car and radio and stuff. Idk why. I dragged him twice to a track last year. His car is still broken. Been broken for 6 months lol.

Well, earlier last week, he blew up his 1:1 toy car. #3 rod decided it needed some fresh air and open up the window. He is on his search for a new engine which he already found. Same engine as his, B20. So he came over the other day and said, he needs a new hobby. Well I said, get back into RC. He said, nah. 🤣 :cry:
423737917_434416395671803_6706956958910316846_n.jpg

Last edited:
I wish they had more parts in stock though…
And it’s still a chain HobbyTown. Lexington wouldn’t be able to support another hobby shop.
One day I should open a track here

I mainly sell my RCs and spare parts through my LHS's consignment system. It gives them a cut, and I don't have to worry about all of the eBay hassles.

I have a hard time buying anything there though, they mainly cater to basher brands that I don't run.

I assume they do this to discourage us from buying local so they don't have to share their profits with their local shops.
There is some weight to your theory

Lately Horizon Hobby has been pretty poor about delivering parts to my LHS, despite them carrying a very high rank with HH. Instead they prioritize Amazon customers.

Our local RC shop done closed up 😭
I had mine up and moved 2016ish after I've been going there 11 or 12 years.

Had a hobby town move 3x on me. 3x I went to the old location to discover it empty. They did it the last time a year ago, pulled inventory to the Carolinas.

I got 2 kinda out of the way. Most of my ebay is from smaller shops, even mine that moved has smc lipos I purchase.

my nearest "local" hobby shop is
423944484_331785596057095_1197527629029665382_n.jpg

and then when i get there, they got some other dude who thinks the store is there for his conversational skill. wants to brag for 15 mins about he bought this and that. And I'm just standing there waiting for a chance to but in with my question, but since this guy spent multiple thousands with them he just goes on and on. makes my little purchase of wheel weights take forever. then acts like i shouldn't have even wasted his time for something so small... mentally frustrating, gotta tell myself often its just how some people do. they got no respect for other people and are selfish.
or if i ask them if they have a part... no but we can order it for you... yeah i can order it for me as well.. i personally have to be looking for something specific to get otherwise its not worth it for me to go to the LHS. I was treated like I'm dumb for not already knowing, or asking the wrong question or the right question in the wrong way. elitism. i prefer just having it mailed to me unless its something i need immediately. the stores themselves seem to have forgotten what customer service is. i feel like I'm dealing with amazon most of the time, except that amazon has buyer protection. i was looking forward to meeting cool like like-minded people in these stores to expand on the hobby and learn from.
i learned i shouldn't be there unless i do a lot of research first. otherwise, its just o you shoulda got a traxxas.

now it probably seems like I'm bashing on scale.. i assure you i am not, i STILL go to the store, i STILL talk to them (not that one guy tho) they do offer suggestions to a degree. asked about upgrading my Redcat everest 10 somehow, and they said "well you kinda get what you pay for, you got a redcat. not much that can be done to it.." feel like i wasted the cash on my sons rc now. i personally in my area would love a store with good attitudes, thatd be dope af, and dont you DARE bring in something not name brand... like my hbx, love this thing, its rips it flips it wrecks it repairs and it rips some more. i have a blast with it, but since its made at the factory next door to the traxxas factory mines no good and i wasted their time bringing it in. screw you bro my hbx is fun. they wont even look at it
my 2 cents. from a newer perspective of someone WANTING to stay active in the hobby. but often feels like a struggle.

My closest hobby shop is 45 minutes away, though it's a good one.

I fully support shopping local if you can. But the reality for me is I work, play and live in the same town and seldom go far because I would rather spend time with my family. I hate relying on Amazon & Ebay but they do get things to me quick without spending time or gasoline to do so. eBay has lots of fantastic RC shops that I do business with across the country, which makes me feel less guilty.... at least I can support a small business.

My closest hobby shop is 45 minutes away, though it's a good one.

I fully support shopping local if you can. But the reality for me is I work, play and live in the same town and seldom go far because I would rather spend time with my family. I hate relying on Amazon & Ebay but they do get things to me quick without spending time or gasoline to do so. eBay has lots of fantastic RC shops that I do business with across the country, which makes me feel less guilty.... at least I can support a small business.
Yes! Know that many, if not most, vendors on Amazon and eB are small businesses as well. So, take solace in that. Like I already said, the retail world has evolved. Adapt or be extinct.