Suggestions for Buying New Buggy

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I personally like & own the Mugen MBX5 Prospec.. It has a solid build, and very competetive.. Ofna makes a nice buggy for the money, but there build manuals are absolutely horrible, in my opinion... Unless they have changed with the Jammin line, my Hyper 7 Pro was a nightmare of a build...

I have and built the mugen prospec...Every part fit like a glove...This is my 2 cents.No up grades are needed out of the box.
just add your mill radio,reciver.and servos.
You said someting about threaded shock bodies..IMO they suck..They get dirt in them and you can't move then intill you clean them good...
I stick with the clip style..IMO mugen makes the best shocks out there..
here is a pic of my MBX5
A_MUGEN_005.jpg

Toss in another vote for the Mugen from me. I have one, and the build was a delight. The only problem with it was having to refer to three instruction sets (main, prospec, and addendum). If you have plenty of space to assemble it in (so you can leave the manuals arranged in an easy to read manner), I'd say go for it.

Definately don't do what I did with mine; I stayed awake for about 20 hours and built it from start-to-finish. It was _that_ enjoyable. Otherwise, you'll love it.

My mugen(s) have served me very well for the 2 years i have had them. BUT, because of how old they are, some of my essential parts are getting worn like my center diff, like any other car you get.

So l'll be switching to losi now. Can't wait for the 8ight truggy to come out!!!

did anyone ever mention the XT2, I know that the Xterm pro was pretty good but I really don't know much about buggys

Any of those 3 will do the trick. ALL are durable. Having owned and driven a Jammin, owned a Xray as well, both are durable well thought out buggys. The Mugens I have seen around the track look to be just as durable. Going by another member I race with, he liked how his Xray kit went together better than the Jammin FTE. I like the Jammin a little better b/c parts are around in my local hobby shops compared to Mugen and Xray. Less you have to spend in inventory.
Its not about hop-ups, its about having "spares"!!
All 3 kits are GREAT. can't go wrong with any of these IMO.
I have heard many good things about the Hyper 8, but have not seen one up close and personal.

Cost being NO object, I would go XB8TQ. BUT...............................
I love my Jammin, and the Hyper 8 is $410

HMMMM...$549 XrayTQ
http://www.amainhobbies.com/advance...acturers_id=&pfrom=&pto=&dfrom=&dto=&x=39&y=9

But for $410 the extra $$$ could get you twards an NICE .21 or some nice servos. A race worthy .21 will go from $200-400 depending on what you want. Then servos are from $100-200. Tuned pipe $60-100. Radio gear $200-300. $50-100 starterbox. You can go cheaper on any or all of these, just depends on if "cost is no object" or is it??

Last edited:
OH and if your looking for a radio I've got one for sale! Check out my for sale thread.

I thank you so much guys. But I am still torn, I finally saw pictures of the Mugen last night. Holy **** batman. Love it, but I feel as if the 8ight or Jammin would be all I would ever need (at least for now).

So I guess the only thing stopping me from the Jammin is this darn Losi 8ight. I have searched and not seen any really good answers on whether or not this is a really good buggy. Anyone got a clue?

Its brand new! So there won't be too much about it, although everything that losi puts out has the racer in mind.

LOL, yeah but not all are durable!(LST)
If your just torn between the 2, I say the Jammin should be all you need.

Okay Jammin it is...what engine and tuned pipe???

Oh I want to race it in Northern Virginia.

I would start with a somewhat mild engine. seeing as your somewhat new you don't want to blow up a $300 engine. I would suggest a collari b3 or a novaorssi 3port. And a jammin jp 1 pipe.

I'd also suggest a Collari B3. I own a Collari and its a great engine. It puts out italian .21 power, but was very easy to breakin and is very easy to tune. I've also had a Novarossi P5 and if this is your first high end engine, thats not the way to go. Collari B3 would be a great choice.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_23_31/products_id/7032

This is the new version of the B3...great deal too.

Good call VB!!
I run the B3 in my jammin. OD99 plugs. The Ofna 086 runs great on it. Lots of bottom end, good mid and top end. Werks took over for Collari. The only "problem" with the B3 was the carb, mine has a Novarossi carb on it.
How big is the track? Which one? If it is a big wide open track a B7 is a good choice as well.

I never had a problem with my carb, my Collari has been easy to tune. I had more problems with the Nova carb than the Collari...

Mine may have been one of the early ones,they had some issues.

are you running on a short track or long track? does the track have a websight? that will tell us what kind of engine you need. if you are just doing club racing i suggest a 3 or 5 port, and for nats and stuff like that i suggest 8 port, but if its your first buggy i would highly suggest a 3 port like the B3. the jammin jp series of pipes are some of the best. the jp 1 is for more low end grunt for short tracks, and the jp 2 is for larger tracks, and the jp 3 is great all over. i do alot of club racing, and we have a somewhat large track ( www.trax70.com ), and i run an OS RG .21 with a 053 pipe and header in my jammin, hasen't steered me wrong yet, but i am also on a budget, and you aren't.

cheers rob

I was there at trax70 running my Jammin at the RCNT GTG. The 086 was the ticket for that track.

IMO the JP-1 is overkill on a 3 port, they are made for low end grunt. You need to get a pipe that will not rob the bottom end, but open up the top.

Mugen is prolly the best,but the Jammin' is right up there to,and perhaps a bit more affordable.

Back