stupid question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grumpy1jr

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
If you guys dont mind this stupid question. What is the difference between a stock crawler and a comp? What one is better?

a comp crawler is better, i'm not sure what your looking at but let's say the axial rtr it will crawl but it most likely won't place in a comp because it's crawling capability's is limited, now lets say the losi 2.2 which is comp ready except for electronics it is set up out of the box. i just got my losi Thursday put elec's in Friday, and competed in a comp Saturday. I am sure i placed in the top ten. ( Losi you will have to replace cvd's though)

could you turn a axial into a comp crawler? If so what would I have to do to it?

yea you could defintly turn a axial into comp crawler, you'll just need some serious suspension tuning, tires, and few other things could make a good crawler, i don't have axials but my buddies do, i can't tell you what needs to be done but i'm sure someone else on here can. I'll see if i can get a good setup for you that is not so expensive if you go with the axial if no one else can

hell yeah an axial is the most popular way to make a comper and has the most support parts wise to make a comp rig. Comp rigs are just so much more capable crawling when it comes to crazy sidehilling and vertical stuff compared to a stock axial kit or other comparable crawler. MOA rigs like the berg and bully axled rigs are still alittle better imo becuase they start off with so much of the weight already super low that you can get away with having a nice amount of belly clearance and dont have to sacrifice ride height to get a low center of gravity.

so where would a good spot to start on it?

on an axial? Start off by wieghting your wheels, get new tires, id suggest getting some Panther Cougar tires or HB Rovers although there are others. then limit you shocks a little too, will cut back on the articulation some but lower you belly clearance wich will get you closer to the ground and less top heavy! if your running stick packs get rid of them first thing and get some saddle packs to go on the front axle or go lipo and get a servo/batt plate. once you do some things like that you will be off to a good start then there are MANY other things to do, could name off stuff all day for you to do to an axial to improve it.

Here is what my Axial AX10 ARTR looked like as a basic crawler.

P1040543Medium.jpg

Here is what my Axial AX10 comp rig looks like now.

P1070247Small.jpg