Which 1/10 scale crawler?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love the scaler rigs and not really a fan of the heavy modified comp crawlers.
I also lean in this direction. It was the Knightrunners decked out in Expedition Overland style that caught my eye. Any shortcomings it comes with on the performance side will be amplified once I get it out on the trail, so digging in here is crucial.

The YouTube rabbit hole caught me this weekend. It is apparent that going toward scale realism can be done with pretty much any of the top options. It's just a question of fiddling w/ looks vs. fiddling with performance in my eyes.

I also lean in this direction. It was the Knightrunners decked out in Expedition Overland style that caught my eye. Any shortcomings it comes with on the performance side will be amplified once I get it out on the trail, so digging in here is crucial.

The YouTube rabbit hole caught me this weekend. It is apparent that going toward scale realism can be done with pretty much any of the top options. It's just a question of fiddling w/ looks vs. fiddling with performance in my eyes.
That's the beauty of this style, we are only limited by our imagination.
There is a lot of really cool dress up parts not to mention a ton of 3d printer files.
My wife and I always throw our crawlers in the camper when we go camping.

As of this writing (thanks to promotions), the SCX10 III Base Camp, TRX4 Sport and Vanquish VS4-10 Fordyce are all within a stone's throw of each other price wise.

All are unlicensed bodies. Traxxas and Axial have more aftermarket support while Vanquish is presumably a better performer out of the box.. Seemingly any of the three can support a new scale body down the road.

Knee jerk reaction, which would you pick?

Spoiler: I'm leaning toward Vanquish as I type this.

Last edited:
Of The 3, hands down the vanquish. I have the VS4 10 Pheonix and love it.

I kinda like the RC4WD Trail Finder 2 as well as the others mentioned here.
View attachment 177778
I want the sr5 to pull a DeLorean around on.

https://www.horizonhobby.com/produc...utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&gad_source=1

@maxinflixion congrats and good luck on your new truck. Vanquish also has pink black parts they stared offering here and there a few years ago.

https://www.rpphobby.com/SearchResu...h+Products&search=pink+edition&show=60&page=1
I would imagine the IFS is the knightrunners weak point for all out performance. I’d go with @Doom! ’s suggestion with the new zuul or the ecto for a nice crawler right out of the box. I don’t know all of the crawler brands, GMade is one we haven’t mentioned, but I’ve never tried one. The vanquish stuff is top shelf for top dollar, for me the element was right there on price.
How's this for a gmade?
https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=840588474744904&set=a.455742803229475&type=3

I want the sr5 to pull a DeLorean around on.
That would be hilarious! Then you'd just need this...
Screenshot_20231227_103237.jpg

That would be hilarious! Then you'd just need this...
View attachment 177847
Funny- I actually have this McFly in my attic. I had it posed up next to my self-lacing Nike Mags (not the ones from the movie, the later ones). Was thinking that he is dressed well for a driver in a scale truck.

This thread was very helpful. Can't wait for this thing to arrive this weekend. It'll be the first time I've bought anything RC that I didn't feel the need to add a ton too on day one.

Those pink parts are actually sweet. They would really stand out on the grey truck.

The Vanquish Fordyce is on sale at AMain right now for 399. If I was in the market, that'd be a move to consider.
For the sake of keeping it simple & to help when I need spare parts I have kept my rigs in the same-ish family. Here are Two SXC10 III's and a Capra 4WS.
The Basecamp always seems to just work.
I regret adding so many lights to the Jeep because it just added maintenance items.
The Capra with some front wheel overdrive feels like cheating, but is a joy to crawl.

FullSizeRender.jpeg

The Vanquish Fordyce is on sale at AMain right now for 399. If I was in the market, that'd be a move to consider.
For the sake of keeping it simple & to help when I need spare parts I have kept my rigs in the same-ish family. Here are Two SXC10 III's and a Capra 4WS.
The Basecamp always seems to just work.
I regret adding so many lights to the Jeep because it just added maintenance items.
The Capra with some front wheel overdrive feels like cheating, but is a joy to crawl.

View attachment 177989
My Fordyce arrived today. It's already dark and very wet out, so I ran it around the house for a bit just to get to know it. Will get to know this thing better over the weekend for sure.

I didn't catch that tire being a little twisted up until I shot the pic.

1000001534.jpg

My Fordyce arrived today. It's already dark and very wet out, so I ran it around the house for a bit just to get to know it. Will get to know this thing better over the weekend for sure.

I didn't catch that tire being a little twisted up until I shot the pic.

View attachment 177997
I just figured you were doing a burnout?

Back