Steering loss during a test run

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While I, on the other hand, Break every part. I have broken one of every part on my Rustler 4x4. I have around $1000 into it currently. It's a beast now. It would probably hold up even better if I didn't run 6s in it.
Daaang!

Cat Working GIF

That being said, what brand do you prefer?
I tend to prefer race grade brands which already include all the upgrades, yes they will be more expensive up front but you won't have to deal with design flaws and dated technology which yield performance/handling issues.

There are only 2 brands of 4WD Mini Trucks that I would consider:

PR Racing 401RT is my personal favorite, here's my review thread on it:
Only problem with PR is they are now limited to a single distributor in the US and won't offer nearly as good as parts support as Traxxas.

While not quite as durable as PR, my #2 pick in this class is the TEKNO ET410 , they have comparable part support with Traxxas and actually offer a 50% Lifetime Warranty on their parts: https://www.teknorc.com/warranty-repair/

The "King of Bashers" goes to the MT410:
https://www.teknorc.com/shop/tkr9501-mt410-2-0-1-10th-electric-4x4-pro-monster-truck-kit/

Note that these are all kits where you get to select your own electronics and will learn so much more about the car as you assemble it which will give you a head start on learning how to maintain the car:

If you're intimidated with building a kit, then I would recommend ARRMA for 1/10 RTR's and Caster for a 1/8 RTR:
I no longer run any of the brands mentioned to this point, just providing honest feedback from personal experience. I am a club racer where I currently race this platform here:

*** I would encourage you to check out B&T Raceway sometime, they're not too far from Pensacola!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1425204384419019

1710453142323.png

Last edited:
Thats alot of cars.
I wish I can go to a bigger race one day. Always wanted to go to Masters of Dirt. But its in october and school and money prevents that.
Maybe I can see some roar regional races at my local indoor track sometime.

Lol well for one, I did buy it used even if it was in good shape. And my son is 15 and we've taken it slow getting into this because I already know this can get very expensive very fast. That being said, I'll look into servos and go from there. But I can't just keep throwing money at this thing if I don't even get to enjoy it.
I didn't see any obstructions. This is really frustrating though. I just fixed the control arms yesterday. And had to put shocks on it a couple days before that. Now this. My wife is not happy. I've heard mixed opinions about traxxas cars but are they really this unreliable?
A used RTR RC platform, even one in good condition, with stock electronics is a prime candidate for even quicker misfortune. RTR servos don't have a great track record when it comes to their durability, and are normally the first thing that gets replaced.

When diagnosing steering issues, I always begin with a disconnected servo. This way I can see/feel any binding that might be going on while using my hands/fingers to manipulate the steering. If the steering feels smooth, and free moving... I'll move on to the servo. Testing the servo with my fingers holding on to the servo horn (disconnected from steering linkage) to give resistance while operating the servo with transmitter to possibly recreate issue... hoping to find stripped internal gears, 'cause that's an easy fix.

some of these machines are too fast for their own good. The high speeds lead to breakage. Personally, I don't mind fixing/upgrading and understanding the setup. I've also learned to be more selective about where I drive, and occasionally gear down to prevent carnage.

Back