Starter shaft not reaching connecting rod

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aamar

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hi recently my pull start for my infinity .18R engine became really easy to pull and had little resistance, I opened up the pull start and found that the recoil mechanism was working fine and I cleaned the one way bearing. During testing the one way bearing I found that it was gripping the starter shaft but the flywheel wasn't moving, I cleaned the shaft and the connecting rod and I reassembled them. I noticed that if I push the shaft into the engine and turn the bearing the flywheel moves and the started shaft catches the connecting rod. Am I missing a part, or has one of the parts worn out ?

Many thanks
Aamar

May just be worn. You can probably remove the backplate off engine and shim the starter shaft with a thin teflon washer or two and be good from there. Good luck.

I was doing a clean and I did notice that the piston was getting stuck inside the sleeve. I takes some force the turn the flywheel to free it do you thing that might be the problem. If so how will I over come it.
@Zdragon71
I didn't think of that thanks I will give it a go

Thanks
Aamar

Last edited by a moderator:
If your piston is getting stuck it may have a piece of metal loose in sleeve. You may need to break engine down for a complete inspection before it does more damage also.

I did a full clean out and the piston is a lot looser, I ordered a new starter shaft but that didn't work I did notice the manual showing a starter pin. Does the pin stick out from the crank shaft ?

Yes. The pin sticking out from crankshaft where the rod connects to it is what the starter shaft grabs to turn engine over for starting. Without pin there is nothing for pullstart to grab. Another option is a bump box. This turns the flywheel to start engine and is mainly what racers use.

Thanks I'm going to invest in a bump box. Is there any way to try and pull the pin out

Thanks Zdragon71 I fixed it, I got a hammer and a punch and gave a little knock to the starter pin and I came out. The piston sleeve is still tight but I can start the engine and the piston isn't getting stuck. Have I broken in the engine properly ? If I Have how would I overcome this ?

Thanks
Aamar